Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My state inspection experience - just a rant

As many have done, my Spyder has several extra lighting additions, from safety and visibility improvements. These include upgrades and improvements on brake lighting, marker lighting, turn signals, etc.

Today, I visited my local inspection station with the Spyder. The bike, and my other vehicles, have used this station for years. Never had any issues.

The inspection tech appeared to be a new one and probably just graduated from inspection school.

While he looked over the bike and commented on its appearance and condition, his interest seemed to focus on the lighting. He literally got down on his knees and stared intently at each light on the bike, both OEM and my add-ons.

“Some of these don’t have DOT on them” he said, so they can’t be on the bike. He proceeded to ask me if I could disconnect the offending units so he could pass me. For starters, I undid the connectors on the GIVI R35 side cases, on which the original rear and side reflectors had been converted to LED’s. Then, he mentioned the reflectors on the rear fender support brackets, which had also been converted to LED markers. “Can you disable these?” Was the next question. Sure, I said, if I cut the ground wire to them, which I did. Thinking he was satisfied, he then went to the fenders and A-arms, which also had additions and mods, asking if I could also disable them. I told him not without removing body panels and disconnecting wires.

Sadly, he proclaimed that i had to come back another time after I had returned the bike to its original factory lighting condition, with no upgrades or additions operating. So, I said thank you and left.

I was surprised, seeing how the bike was inspected in two previous years by the same station without issue.

Anyway, I went to another station a few miles away and was in and out in 15 minutes without any flack.

Geez.......
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

I feel your pain. Have had issues here with different inspection stations (often mechanics out here) for our cars. Some in particular just want a reason to charge you to fix problems that don't exist.

Touristy locations in particular seem to be a haven for rip off merchants.

Toowoomba has been good so far but can't say the same for the Gold/Sunshine Coasts.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I drive a truck, and have added a lot of lights.
    Those lights dont matter, DOT is only interested in what is required.
    I would have told him exactly that, to inspect what is required.
    If he still wasn't happy, I would make sure the owner knew why I wasn't EVER coming back!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I probably would have told him, in a firm and kind voice, "Show me the regulation that I am violating. You know, don't you, you cannot make me comply with a rule that does not exist." When I was doing quality audits of contractors I told the teams, "Unless you can point out a specific regulation or contract provision the contractor is not complying with, you cannot write up a finding against them."

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Completely off topic, but right down the same street, I think.

I once wanted to build a 2 car unattached garage with some storage area. I had a good buddy who was a contractor. We pulled the permits and we were on our way. But when it came time to pour the slab the inspector wanted to know what the open spot and plumbing were for. We told him it was for the deep hand washing sink. We planned to plumb hot and cold water to it so when I got greasy, I could clean up before I went into the house.

He said he wasn't going to allow it. My contractor buddy said that there were no restrictions on a hand washing sink. The inspector said, 'Your Right!'. But if I allow a handwashing sink and water heater. You might later install a shower and toilet. My buddy said that there were no restrictions against having a shower and toilet in an unattached garage. The inspector said; 'You're Right!'. But then you might convert your storage area to living space and rent it out, and that is illegal! So, I'm not going to approve your slab until you remove the plumbing.

Isn't government AWESOME! This inspector was so helpful in keeping me from breaking the law. What a Guy! Sounds like he might be related to your DOT inspector.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-10-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Your issues you encountered is why the general public dislikes Government so much.. good to hear you got the inspection done at the next station..
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    I drive a truck, and have added a lot of lights.
    Those lights dont matter, DOT is only interested in what is required.
    I haven't driven in a minute but back in the day the DOT would gig me if ANY light was out. Didn't matter if it was a stock light or a chicken light. (Yes. I drove a chicken truck. I could light up downtown Dallas. )

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Funny that an inspection thread should come up today. Myself and 3 other spyder buddies are going to get our bikes inspected today. 2 of them are going to a dealership. Another friend and myself are going to a local inspection shop. I told the other guy not to screw it up for me. So I am going at lunch time to hopefully get mine done first. I can normally start a conversation with them and they end up not checking anything. Considering my rear tire is getting on the thin side, I am hoping that is the case today. I am going to get a new tire in a couple of months, but too much tread to replace it right now.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

To avoid inspection failures just move to New Jersey. Motorcycles are not inspected, cars are only inspected for emissions.

Spyder Garage

Inspection was eliminated in Utah 2 years ago but they are thinking of bringing it back.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Funny that an inspection thread should come up today. Myself and 3 other spyder buddies are going to get our bikes inspected today. 2 of them are going to a dealership. Another friend and myself are going to a local inspection shop. I told the other guy not to screw it up for me. So I am going at lunch time to hopefully get mine done first. I can normally start a conversation with them and they end up not checking anything. Considering my rear tire is getting on the thin side, I am hoping that is the case today. I am going to get a new tire in a couple of months, but too much tread to replace it right now.
    Still think you need to buy a $25k rear tire. Comes with a brand new RT.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    To avoid inspection failures just move to New Jersey. Motorcycles are not inspected, cars are only inspected for emissions.
    Odd how different each state is. In NC, both bikes and cars require an inspection. Bikes don't need one for the 1st 2 years from new, cars are only exempt for the 1st year from new. We used to have emissions checks in about 1/2 the counties. Fortunately, we no longer have emissions inspections at all. My car is due for an inspection this year (by the end of the month so I can renew my registration) but since it's only 2 years old with 3k miles, I'm guessing it won't be much of an issue. My bike will have to be inspected next year. It's got a bunch of extra lights so I hope I don't have the same issues as the OP.

Spyder Garage

Inspectors are people too! Did a reno on my summer home that needed all inspections - frame, insulation, elec, plumbing, fire, final.
    Had my bike out front when each arrived. EVERY inspector stood in the living room and we chatted about bikes then each pencil-whipped the approvals.
    Go figure!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    As many have done, my Spyder has several extra lighting additions, from safety and visibility improvements. These include upgrades and improvements on brake lighting, marker lighting, turn signals, etc.

Today, I visited my local inspection station with the Spyder. The bike, and my other vehicles, have used this station for years. Never had any issues.

The inspection tech appeared to be a new one and probably just graduated from inspection school.

While he looked over the bike and commented on its appearance and condition, his interest seemed to focus on the lighting. He literally got down on his knees and stared intently at each light on the bike, both OEM and my add-ons.

“Some of these don’t have DOT on them” he said, so they can’t be on the bike. He proceeded to ask me if I could disconnect the offending units so he could pass me. For starters, I undid the connectors on the GIVI R35 side cases, on which the original rear and side reflectors had been converted to LED’s. Then, he mentioned the reflectors on the rear fender support brackets, which had also been converted to LED markers. “Can you disable these?” Was the next question. Sure, I said, if I cut the ground wire to them, which I did. Thinking he was satisfied, he then went to the fenders and A-arms, which also had additions and mods, asking if I could also disable them. I told him not without removing body panels and disconnecting wires.

Sadly, he proclaimed that i had to come back another time after I had returned the bike to its original factory lighting condition, with no upgrades or additions operating. So, I said thank you and left.

I was surprised, seeing how the bike was inspected in two previous years by the same station without issue.

Anyway, I went to another station a few miles away and was in and out in 15 minutes without any flack.

Geez.......
    It is looking like you got to experience a slow day with another jerk. Glad they are not everywhere.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Arkansas is even better. They haven't had vehicle or motorcycle inspections for probably 20 years.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Arkansas is even better. They haven't had vehicle or motorcycle inspections for probably 20 years.
    Yes! I remember the days when I lived in Indiana, and Alaska. Alaska finally dropped them, but I do not know about IN. They had yearly inspections in both states at the time. They were a yearly PIA.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default State Inspection

No State Inspections in good ole Indiana. A least not now. ...............
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Little Blue said. That's one of the few things I miss about the Hoosier state.

Spyder Garage

I take my Spyder to the independent shop that maintains my ancient bicycling hauling Dodge Grand Caravan. I ride the thing into the inspection bay, show the inspector all the lights and horn work, tell him the engine size and back out with my signed inspection certificate.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just recently went to a local tire shop to inspect my Spyder.

No problem. When the inspector pointed out my right head light was out, he told me "I know you will fix it" and passed the inspection.

About two weeks later, I went back to the shop to show the inspector the problem I found and tell him how I repaired it.

I told the man behind the counter, "I had my motorcycle inspected here a couple of weeks ago" and asked to see the inspector to share a "feel good" story.

The man said, "We don't inspect motorcycles."

I told him, "You must have misunderstood me. I had my motorcycle inspected here a couple of weeks ago" and walked out.

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Last session Missouri changed the vehicle safety inspection window from the first 5 years from new (based on model year, not purchase date) to 10 years or 150,000 miles, whatever comes first. The RTL is good until 2028, my 2013 Triumph Bonneville was inspected in '18, but is now good until 2023. Wife has a '16 Kia Soul that is coming up close to the 150K mile mark. We will probably sneak under the limit this time.

I used to go to a shop that was very thorough, the car inspector would even take a random wheel off to check the brakes and suspension. The last place I took the car to just had me honk the horn and turn on the lights. I didn't crash into the back wall of the shop when I rolled in so the brakes were OK. They even had a bunch of partially filled out forms - they just entered my VIN and name, took my money and off I went.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

NOTE: I am not advocating you brake any laws.......
    simply do this always install lights with a quick disconnect as in plug and play type plugs
    install a switch (hidden) so you can turn the lights off, so when you go in for your inspection
    the light are disabled not working and only the OEM lights work, then when you are a block or two away
    turn them on....

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Inspection was eliminated in Utah 2 years ago but they are thinking of bringing it back.
    Paul... They should keep it, Years ago in the early 1970's I had an auto repair shop in American Fork Utah and was an official inspection station
    it was truly a big pain in the A$s. for what the state allowed you to charge for it and the time spent doing it it was a major money and time looser.
    all they did was create dishonesty... some shop would tell you something was not working or was bad and you could not be given an inspection sticker
    unless you had then fix the item.... HOWEVER... for the honest shops they did help get a bunch of dangerous vehicles off the road until repaired.
    I wish California had an inspection program (NOT RUN BE THE STATE) then maybe we could get rid of some of the crap rolling down our roads that
    don't belong any place but a junk yard......

Spyder Garage

To quote Ronald Reagan back in 1986: “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    ...for what the state allowed you to charge for it and the time spent doing it it was a major money and time loser.
    I fully agree. It costs us around $13.50 for the inspection but costs the inspection station $11/vehicle to install/use the state mandated inspection software. The inspector makes less than 2 bucks for what should take about (15) minutes. What they normally do is ask you to turn on your headlights and 4 ways, walk quickly around the vehicle then spot check the tires to make sure they're not bald. Another (10) minutes for them to enter everything into the computer and give you your paperwork.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    NOTE: I am not advocating you brake any laws.......
    simply do this always install lights with a quick disconnect as in plug and play type plugs
    install a switch (hidden) so you can turn the lights off, so when you go in for your inspection
    the light are disabled not working and only the OEM lights work, then when you are a block or two away
    turn them on....
    ***Warning - Slight Hijacking ***

When we were young and stupid a friend had a car with a hidden switch to turn off one of his headlights. Go by a cop and as soon as the LEO turned to follow he he would turn on the headlight. Great fun for 16 and 17 year olds in small town early '70's. Somehow what he did got out to the police, he was pulled over and told if he did it again they'd give him as many tickets they could pile on if they saw him at it again. He tried it in the next town over and found our small town cops let the other area small town cops know what the deal was with that faded yellow Chevy Nova with the peeling vinyl top and primer front quarter panel with a headlight out that seemed to fix itself when pulled over. That was in small towns and a different time. Just got a fix-it ticket and word they knew that was going on. He took it out the next day.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue