Spyder Garage

Default Red Dust front sprocket

Can someone help me find the thread or tell me what the red dust on the front sprocket issue is?
    Also, which Tupperware comes off to get to the oil filter? Don't have my manual.
    Thanks Dennis

Spyder Garage

What model and year? Red dust indicates worn pulley splines. Park brake on, loosen bolt. Get the rear tire off the floor enough to rotate it, park brake off, in neutral and walk the belt off the rear pulley. Before removing the front pulley, check it for play, the should be none. If there's none, clean both splines perfectly and apply a veneer of Moly Paste - not Moly Lube.
    If there's play/slop, you'll need a new pulley and bolt.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2016 F3L. I'm still under warranty. This should be covered if there is play in the sprocket. I'll get right to the inspection.

Which side comes off for access to the oil filter?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    What model and year? Red dust indicates worn pulley splines. Park brake on, loosen bolt. Get the rear tire off the floor enough to rotate it, park brake off, in neutral and walk the belt off the rear pulley. Before removing the front pulley, check it for play, the should be none. If there's none, clean both splines perfectly and apply a veneer of Moly Paste - not Moly Lube.
    If there's play/slop, you'll need a new pulley and bolt.
    I believe it's recommended to replace the pulley bolt any time it is removed/loosened.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Which side comes off for access to the oil filter?
    The right side. Have you removed that panel before? If not, remove the the access door. You'll see 3 push pins, but remove the 4 screws first, then the pins. It's a tight squeeze, but you can get the filter out if you move the brake reservoir out of the way a bit.
    Are you doing an oil change? Note that there are 2 drain plugs; one is a torx recess and the other an allen recess. Use a ratchet handle and TEST THE ROTATION (lefty loosey) before appying it. Be sure to have the dipstick loose or out.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Hey Dennis,
    I just noticed what town you live in. I was there many years ago and could not find my way around, or how to get out of town, so I wrote a song about it. Here it is....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA7iGxV6rt4

Spyder Garage

Thanks, The pulley seems tight. I applied a little blue lock tight to the bolt for now. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and have them inspect it. It's a lot of red dust that was not there last spring or 10,000 miles ago.
    Once I found the oil filter I remembered how to access it. Every vehicle I own I write service notes, and I have the torx and allen size noted. Also my notes reminded me to only put in 5.6 quarts as any more pumps out the dip stick under high rpm.
    I really enjoy the long oil life and trouble free riding I have gotten.
    Thanks for the help
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Update: dealer says sprockets are a wear and tear item like the belt. So my BRP extended warranty isn't going to cover this item. Seems the sprockets could be in short supply or delayed delivery from Canada.
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JMO, but I think your dealer is blowing smoke. Belt sprockets/pulleys should not wear out for many thousands and thousands of miles. The belt
    may wear out, but the sprockets/pulleys should still be going strong. It isn't like chain and sprockets. And the sprockets/pulleys aren't failing from
    use, but from movement on the shaft splines, which should not happen.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Fortunately, there is an improved version - it is white. Also fortunately, they don't cost a lot - somewhere near $100 plus the $10 bolt.

Spyder Garage

Fortunately, there is an improved version - it is white. Also fortunately, they don't cost a lot - somewhere near $100 plus the $10 bolt.
    Yah, I'm cutting my losses based on 2 things. It would cost me my time to trailer my Spyder 2 ways even if it was under warranty. And the cost of $130 with tax is off set by my truck fuel savings and time.
    I have Anti seize which I use on similar applications.
    What is Moly Paste?

Spyder Garage

Cheapmotorcycleparts.com discounts, but make certain you are getting the newer one.
    Here's a link to Moly Paste - it has mostly moly and a bit of lubricant.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...sAAOSwNSxU7OgC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yah, I'm cutting my losses based on 2 things. It would cost me my time to trailer my Spyder 2 ways even if it was under warranty. And the cost of $130 with tax is off set by my truck fuel savings and time.
    I have Anti seize which I use on similar applications.
    What is Moly Paste?
    Shop manual calls for KLUEBER Paste......research for answer.......$$
    I use the Honda stuff....
    L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2021 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RTSE6. I have the red dust . About 8,000 miles.
    Could someone please post the part numbers for both the new white front sprocket and bolt. Also the torque spec on the bolt. Thank You in advance.

Spyder Garage

Update,2: I loosened the belt but could not get the front sprocket to loosen. I had to use a large gear puller and it was tight until the very end of the travel. Upon inspection, I felt most of the red dust was from the inside of the pulley as the inside black paint had failed to protect the metal like the outside black paint. The old pully splines were fouled with red dust and the shaft had to be cleaned of red dust.
    The new pulley's white paint seems to be powdered coated and much more durable. I used Permatex anti seize as it has the heat resistance and release properties needed for this kind of use. The new bolt comes with thread lock applied. I used a single jack on the left side of the swing arm. I don't believe I could have gotten the pulley off without the gear puller. The drive splines cleaned up like new. About an hour from start to finish.
    Just wanted to share.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Good to have an update. GOOD job!

Spyder Garage

Does any one have the torque spec for the bolt that holds the sprocket on?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

9096AC83-06F2-408E-B61B-0BB386AD4941.jpg110 ft lbs..NEW BOLT.....I believe this is the updated spec......it what I torqued mine to.
    Some of the early shop manuals stated 95 ft lbs.
    E0A6CF2A-7A23-4C58-973D-7AF31499BC97.jpg
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Update,2: I loosened the belt but could not get the front sprocket to loosen. I had to use a large gear puller and it was tight until the very end of the travel. Upon inspection, I felt most of the red dust was from the inside of the pulley as the inside black paint had failed to protect the metal like the outside black paint. The old pully splines were fouled with red dust and the shaft had to be cleaned of red dust.
    The new pulley's white paint seems to be powdered coated and much more durable. I used Permatex anti seize as it has the heat resistance and release properties needed for this kind of use. The new bolt comes with thread lock applied. I used a single jack on the left side of the swing arm. I don't believe I could have gotten the pulley off without the gear puller. The drive splines cleaned up like new. About an hour from start to finish.
    Just wanted to share.
    Dennis
    Just a heads up ....... I'm pretty sure " Anti-Seize " paste is NOT what you should use .... there are special " moly " pastes made for type if application. ..... I would check some of the other posts or PM ... PMK ...... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Your Honda dealer should have this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

We have a 2016 RT-L with 23,700km (14,700miles). During my spring pre-season check, I noticed red dust starting to appear of the front sprocket.
    A few questions...
    - Is the RT and F3 front sprocket the same part #. In reading the forums I believe the new part is #705503244
    - Is there a TSB or something from BRP which I can ask the dealer to reference in case they are not aware of this issue?
    - Does BRP cover the cost? My warrantee is expired, but BEST is still active
    - In following the new install procedure using Moly Paste, can the bike be ridden immediately after installation or does it need to cure? (My dealer does all service while I wait since I have no way to get back home)

Thank you for your advise! (I am unable to do the repair myself).....Brian
    IMG_4169.jpg

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can do it yourself if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle.
    + With the parking brake on, loosen the pulley bolt.
    + Lift the rear wheel off the floor and release the parking brake.
    + Walk the belt off the rear pulley. Some loosen the axle and run the adjusters in, but I'm lazy.
    + Remove the pulley bolt and pulley. If pulley sticks, use a puller.

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can do it yourself if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle.
    + With the parking brake on, loosen the pulley bolt.
    + Lift the rear wheel off the floor and release the parking brake.
    + Walk the belt off the rear pulley. Some loosen the axle and run the adjusters in, but I'm lazy.
    + Remove the pulley bolt and pulley. If pulley sticks, use a puller.
    If pully sticks squirt down the splines with a release oil or kerosine or anything thin and oily. I tried levers, hammer and all sorts, finally gave it a skoosh of WD40 and went off for the puller, came back and off it slipped like magic - still amazed to this day how the rust dust wedges up solidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian0
    - Is the RT and F3 front sprocket the same part #.
    - Is there a TSB or something from BRP which I can ask the dealer to reference in case they are not aware of this issue?
    - Does BRP cover the cost? My warrantee is expired, but BEST is still active
    - In following the new install procedure using Moly Paste, can the bike be ridden immediately after installation or does it need to cure? (My dealer does all service while I wait since I have no way to get back home)
    1 = yes
    2 = Updated torque 111lb/ft (Personal opinion, at least that torque, I use higher! This is the key to it not happening again.)
    3 = Seems to depend on your dealer relationship with BRP.
    4 = You can drive it straight away, there is to setting or curing involved.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    If pully sticks squirt down the splines with a release oil or kerosine or anything thin and oily. I tried levers, hammer and all sorts, finally gave it a skoosh of WD40 and went off for the puller, came back and off it slipped like magic - still amazed to this day how the rust dust wedges up solidly.

1 = yes
    2 = Updated torque 111lb/ft (Personal opinion, at least that torque, I use higher! This is the key to it not happening again.)
    3 = Seems to depend on your dealer relationship with BRP.
    4 = You can drive it straight away, there is to setting or curing involved.
    Is the new bolt a 12.9 grade bolt? My 2018 has a 10.9 grade bolt and specs for a 10.9 grade 12mm bolt is 77 lb ft. My pulley slide right off and appeared it was installed with while lithium grease. I cleaned it all up and coated with moly paste. Will have to torque that bolt once the wheel in reinstalled with the new tire.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.