Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Will rider backrest help with pain between shoulder blades?

Just recently picked up my 2020 RtL and have question about if back rest is solution to pain between shoulder blades. Coming off three Harleys two ultra glide limited and my current ride a Road Glide ultra. The road glide is the only one I used a back rest on. Had the same problem with the road glide and was advised it was caused by need of a backrest or different handle bars and the back rest fixed the problem. Just completed a 1300 mile maiden voyage and pain would start about 2 hours into ride. My son also took spider for a fairly short ride and experienced the same problem. Any information will be appreciated.

Sorry didn't proof read the subject meant rider back rest.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Fixed title ;-)

Spyder Garage

I would maybe start with the fact that you may be gripping the handle bars to hard. The Spyder only requires one to guide it down the road. I just rest my hands on the grips most of the time. The 2020-21 are noted to have to low position of the handle bars. In tight turns on a 2021 in trike class the bar end would hit my leg in a tight turn. Install the foam grips over the OEM grips. And yes I like my back rest on my 2018. Lots of goodies to spend trike bucks on(which are similar in size to boat bucks). Many like the Bajaron's HD sway bar. A bit like Cher's "the beat goes on!"
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Change to F3 bars -- almost a guaranteed fix... 709402241, with a price of $105.99 at your dealer. Maybe you can find some takeoffs.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Chuck, A psgr backrest wouldn't help you as the driver as much as a driver's/rider's backrest would. Just having a little fun with words. Agree with the above. Driver's backrest and maybe handlebar adjustments. I would always try 1 thing at a time, therefore you will kinda figure out which mod helped. Also, I use an Airhawk cushion barely inflated and that raises me a little which gives some relief.
    Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bottom line, get closer to the handlebars, whether by changing the bars or sliding up in the seat. Also, like Snoking said, ease up the pressure on the grips. Anything that tenses up your back will be a problem. When I first got the new RT, my entire back was on fire after a short ride. I tried different bars and some helped, some didn't. I ended up with Helibars. I'm actually a bit TOO close to the bars now but I have no back pain unless I've spent the day in the twisties and have gripped the bars too tight all day. (Can't rest your hands on the grips when it's one turn after another. ) I have back issues so a backrest is a MUST for me. Once I got the right distance from the grips, my Utopia backrest did the rest.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCK1 View Post
    Just recently picked up my 2020 RtL and have question about if back rest is solution to pain between shoulder blades. Coming off three Harleys two ultra glide limited and my current ride a Road Glide ultra. The road glide is the only one I used a back rest on. Had the same problem with the road glide and was advised it was caused by need of a backrest or different handle bars and the back rest fixed the problem. Just completed a 1300 mile maiden voyage and pain would start about 2 hours into ride. My son also took spider for a fairly short ride and experienced the same problem. Any information will be appreciated.
    On my 2014 RTS I had the same issue. For me, it took both adding the back rest as well as adding Tri-Axis bars to fix the problem. I’d look ar both ....... the backrest as well as changing the bars or adding a riser. (The 2020+ units have different bars than the earlier units, so don’t go looking for Tri-Axis bars). Same problem, different unit!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I would maybe start with the fact that you may be gripping the handle bars to hard. The Spyder only requires one to guide it down the road. I just rest my hands on the grips most of the time. The 2020-21 are noted to have to low position of the handle bars. In tight turns on a 2021 in trike class the bar end would hit my leg in a tight turn. Install the foam grips over the OEM grips. And yes I like my back rest on my 2018. Lots of goodies to spend trike bucks on(which are similar in size to boat bucks). Many like the Bajaron's HD sway bar. A bit like Cher's "the beat goes on!"
    How did you cure the bar hitting you in tight turns? Wonder if the Lamonster 1 3/4" hale bar risers would be the answer? I'm considering one of the backrests. Is there much difference between the Ultimate and OEM back rest other than price?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, not gripping bars to tight, will start with a back rest and work up from there. Thanks again

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    How did you cure the bar hitting you in tight turns? Wonder if the Lamonster 1 3/4" hale bar risers would be the answer? I'm considering one of the backrests. Is there much difference between the Ultimate and OEM back rest other than price?
    Moving the bars UP will give you more room but will also change the grip angle. It changed the grip angle too much for me which is why I spent the dough on the Helibars. The Lamonster 2" riser would also work w/o changing the grip angle. I considered that but don't like the look of a riser. Great idea, though.

I didn't know Ultimate made a backrest for anything other than their own seats. If you mean the Utopia backrest, I can see (2) differences. First is the price. The Utopia backrest is about 1/2 the cost of the OEM backrest. The 2nd is that the Utopia backrest has more adjustability.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, yes I meant Utopia. I knew I saw an Ultimate somewhere. You are correct though, only their own seats it seems.

https://www.slingmods.com/canam-spyd...seats-ultimate

Spyder Garage

Many riders have this issue with the new RT, myself included. I have a backrest but what seemed to make a big difference for me was installing Lamonsgter's handlebar risers. I debated back and forth about which modification to try to move the handlebars back towards me but decided on the risers because they were a relatively inexpensive fix that I felt comfortable installing myself. I used to start feeling the pain about a half hour into my ride, my latest was a 2 1/2 ride with a short break for lunch and I had no pain between the shoulders.

Spyder Garage

The backrest is more for lumbar support so you don't get back pain.
    Pain between your shoulders is most likely due to the angle of the handlebars.
    I'd suggest you get a set of HeliBar. I had them on my ST1100. Infinitely adjustable for a custom fit.
    They're pricey, but WELL worth the comfort you can achieve.

https://store.valueaccessories.net/H...rsF3andRT.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Another thing that can help in addition to bar height, backrests, etc. is to take a picture of your riding position and go see you local physical therapist with a description of your pain. I've visited mine over the years whenever I've had an issue with back or shoulder and gotten the appropriate care and home exercises. Daily back exercises are a big help once you know the best ones for your venture. Working out in general helps keep the focus longer on the big rides.

Spyder Garage

I have the same problem with my 2014 RT-S. Added a Utopia backrest, to no effect. IMO, a tri-axis handlebar costs too much (at about $1K installed) just to experiment with. Seriously considering just selling the damn thing.

Spyder Garage

My last bike was a road glide and it was perfectly comfortable for me with a back rest. I now have a 2020 rtf with back rest and shoulders ache after several hours of riding. Just installed the Lamonster riser and super comfy ride with no shoulder pain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the Lamonster 2 inch riser, which moved the bars UP & BACK, made all the difference in the neck and shoulder pain . $119 bucks well spent!

Spyder Garage

Possible simple fix - adjust your grip position? Old school trick is to close your eyes and reach out while standing still. Your brain knows where your hands WANT to be for max comfort. Adjust the bars and seat as needed, repeat as necessary.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I got the Lamonster 2 inch riser, which moved the bars UP & BACK, made all the difference in the neck and shoulder pain . $119 bucks well spent!
    Apparently, Lamonster doesn't make (or no longer makes) handlebar risers for 2019 and earlier RTs. Just the newer RTs with the rounded-bar F3-type handlebars. Drat!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I have the same problem with my 2014 RT-S. Added a Utopia backrest, to no effect. IMO, a tri-axis handlebar costs too much (at about $1K installed) just to experiment with. Seriously considering just selling the damn thing.
    I had the same problem...2014 RTS SE6 and looked for a riser but was told there wasn’t such a beast. I got the OEM driver backrest, which helped but didn’t cure so I bought the tri-axis bars and can now ride a few hours before having to stop. It works for me....but if you can find a riser that will set back the bars a couple of inches, I would try that route first. As for selling the Spyder....you’d likely lose just as much, if not more, than the tri-axis would cost you. jmho wthdik

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Default I can't find Lamonster handlebar risers

I had them on my 2014 RT and want them for my 2015 RT, but cannot find them on the Lamonster garage site or anywhere else. What gives? I did find some Titanium risers that also set back on ebay that SAY they'll fit my Spyder.... we'll see....
    Last edited by mtdoragary; 03-11-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    3:16

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtdoragary View Post
    I can't find Lamonster handlebar risers

I had them on my 2014 RT and want them for my 2015 RT, but cannot find them on the Lamonster garage site or anywhere else. What gives? I did find some Titanium risers that also set back on ebay that SAY they'll fit my Spyder.... we'll see....
    I would say that's pretty unlikely that you had handlebar risers on a '14 RT. On the 2010-2019 RTs, the only (2) handlebar options available were the stock bars or the Tri Axis bars. Because of the way they were mounted, you couldn't add a riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I would say that's pretty unlikely that you had handlebar risers on a '14 RT. On the 2010-2019 RTs, the only (2) handlebar options available were the stock bars or the Tri Axis bars. Because of the way they were mounted, you couldn't add a riser.
    Besides those 2 you mention, weren't there 'dog-bone risers' available that fitted on the ENDS of the black placcy covered bits of the RT handlebars, requiring a 'stub end' to be fitted so that you could attach the 'dog-bone' riser, then you attached the Handgrips to the upper end in a similar manner??

I'm pretty sure that I can remember fitting at least a few sets to other RT's back about 7-10 years ago?!? There again....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Change to F3 bars -- almost a guaranteed fix... 709402241, with a price of $105.99 at your dealer. Maybe you can find some takeoffs.

fully agree with handlebar swap. it fixed the same issue I had with upper back discomfort. I also have a riders back rest to address lower back issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Besides those 2 you mention, weren't there 'dog-bone risers' available that fitted on the ENDS of the black placcy covered bits of the RT handlebars, requiring a 'stub end' to be fitted so that you could attach the 'dog-bone' riser, then you attached the Handgrips to the upper end in a similar manner??

I'm pretty sure that I can remember fitting at least a few sets to other RT's back about 7-10 years ago?!? There again....
    Only for the RS/GS. There's a good video about them on Pierre's site.

Spyder Garage

I would be very cautious about any riser that's not absolutely solid and strong, for use on a Spyder. I'm constantly aware of the amount of force applied to the bars on my RT. It's not a motorcycle, where the pressures applied to the bars almost amount to suggestions and the geometry and two-wheel dynamics supply the required force. One of the joys of riding a motorcycle is the way it amplifies your inputs. Not so on the Spyder -- you have to forcefully turn the bars to change directions, with the DPS assisting and the steering geometry forces opposing. Even with the DPS, it takes a lot of force to turn a Spyder and I can feel the bars flex when turning. I wish the Spyder had the DPS of my Outlander, with settings for different amounts of assist. Then as you become a better rider, you could get more assist to make riding easier and more motorcycle like.

I would absolutely trust Lamonster's solid chunk of metal riser.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol