Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Capital letters don't carry over in quotes

When I quote someone and add my text, it always seems to post lower case letters instead of caps. For example, in a recent thread (something about a new RT S2S delivered w/o speakers), I quoted ARtraveler and added "FTFY " (Fixed That For You). I posted that in caps and it posted in lower case letters. I even tried the advanced function so I could preview the post. I edited and re-edited and it still came out in lower case letters. This isn't the 1st time that's happened.

Am I missing something or is there a glitch in the forum software?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    when i quote someone and add my text, it always seems to post lower case letters instead of caps. For example, in a recent thread (something about a new rt s2s delivered w/o speakers), i quoted artraveler and added "ftfy " (fixed that for you). I posted that in caps and it posted in lower case letters. I even tried the advanced function so i could preview the post. I edited and re-edited and it still came out in lower case letters. This isn't the 1st time that's happened.

Am i missing something or is there a glitch in the forum software?
    testing

Like the above. I typed "testing" in all caps. And it made the capital W in the first word (When) into a lower case letter.

The more I look at this, the more I see lower case letters when there were caps originally. Most (but not all) of the "I"s are now lower case in the quote, too. I'll try to highlight all of the instances.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FFS. Even my road name is in lower case. It's obviously supposed to be in all caps (MONK), not (monk). Sounds like the IT (IT is supposed to be in caps ) team needs to get on this. This is screwing w/my OCD (for reference, O C D is supposed to be in caps).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    FFS. Even my road name is in lower case. It's obviously supposed to be in all caps (MONK), not (monk). Sounds like the IT (IT is supposed to be in caps ) team needs to get on this. This is screwing w/my OCD (for reference, O C D is supposed to be in caps).
    Not sure what your problem is MONK, it all seems to work OK for me? AND it's also seemed to work OK for you in your last post too - at least, as far as WE can see?? Maybe it's something you've inadvertently hit on your keyboard, or set on your own device??

However, there IS an issue with caps not carrying thru to the post if you don't enter enough 'words' rather than just 'un-recognised as a word' letters (like FTFY) or just enter numbers... ie, if someone just posts 'RT 2018' or 'F3 2015' and NOTHING ELSE, then the system won't recognise the caps - but the easy way around that is to put in a RECOGNISABLE word, ie enter 'RT Spyder 2018' or 'F3 Can-Am 2015' - then both those examples will have enough letters AND numbers for the caps to stick once you hit Submit!

Edit: it just looks like your 'ftfy' post issue, even with the emoji, was simply because it's an unrecognisable string of letters, & not enough at that, so the system didn't recognise it as being meaningful.... Dunno what the issue was with the 'When I quote....' bit - it all seems to work fine in post #1 but then not in your quote. And apart from the quoted bit with your added bolding, the rest of that post worked fine....

Still, there are SOME devices, usually phones & tablets, that have 'built in' software that will do all the 'deemed necessary' letter capitalising themselves, so who-ever entered that text (AR??) MAY have been using such a device and actually have typed/entered it all in lower case, then when THEY submitted it, THEIR device/software added the necessary caps, but all the invisibly embedded commands MIGHT NOT transfer with that text into a quote, simply because the quote software doesn't recognise all the invisibly embedded commands in their post when it picks up the text to quote, so it ignores/drops them - sorta like leaving a colon off our emoji's ie :thumbnail - only in this case, there's no ending colon on the command string, so the software here doesn't see that as an emoji at all, but here it does or maybe it's something like when people accidentally delete the end or part of the 'Quote' deliniators, ie [.QUOTE] their text here... [/QUOT - only in this instance, cos the 'E]' that should be on the end of the closing [./QUOTE] has been omitted (. added to ensure example remains as is!) which means that the text 'quoted' won't ever appear/be displayed as a quote, even if it's been left in its entirety and not edited/reduced to only the necessary/pertinent text in order to aid clarity &/or brevity....

Make sense? Help any?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Juuust checkin?? :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

MONK, try posting from a different computer or use a different browser. I just reviewed several of my posts with quotes and don't see any changed capital letters in any of them. Makes me think there is something odd happening on your end. Try clearing your browser cache if you already haven't. IIRC I had some oddity sometime back and had to reset my Firefox browser to fix it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    MONK, try posting from a different computer or use a different browser. I just reviewed several of my posts with quotes and don't see any changed capital letters in any of them. Makes me think there is something odd happening on your end. Try clearing your browser cache if you already haven't. IIRC I had some oddity sometime back and had to reset my Firefox browser to fix it.
    Sir, I've tried this is FF and Chrome. Same results although it doesn't happen every time. I'd be inclined to think it was what Peter said and the "issue" was on the original posters end but obviously it happens even to replies to my own posts. I've cleared my browser cache numerous times (not because of this issue) and I'm running the latest version of FF). Thank you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Not sure what your problem is MONK, it all seems to work OK for me? AND it's also seemed to work OK for you in your last post too - at least, as far as WE can see?? Maybe it's something you've inadvertently hit on your keyboard, or set on your own device??

However, there IS an issue with caps not carrying thru to the post if you don't enter enough 'words' rather than just 'un-recognised as a word' letters (like FTFY) or just enter numbers... ie, if someone just posts 'RT 2018' or 'F3 2015' and NOTHING ELSE, then the system won't recognise the caps - but the easy way around that is to put in a RECOGNISABLE word, ie enter 'RT Spyder 2018' or 'F3 Can-Am 2015' - then both those examples will have enough letters AND numbers for the caps to stick once you hit Submit!

Edit: it just looks like your 'ftfy' post issue, even with the emoji, was simply because it's an unrecognisable string of letters, & not enough at that, so the system didn't recognise it as being meaningful.... Dunno what the issue was with the 'When I quote....' bit - it all seems to work fine in post #1 but then not in your quote. And apart from the quoted bit with your added bolding, the rest of that post worked fine....

Still, there are SOME devices, usually phones & tablets, that have 'built in' software that will do all the 'deemed necessary' letter capitalising themselves, so who-ever entered that text (AR??) MAY have been using such a device and actually have typed/entered it all in lower case, then when THEY submitted it, THEIR device/software added the necessary caps, but all the invisibly embedded commands MIGHT NOT transfer with that text into a quote, simply because the quote software doesn't recognise all the invisibly embedded commands in their post when it picks up the text to quote, so it ignores/drops them - sorta like leaving a colon off our emoji's ie :thumbnail - only in this case, there's no ending colon on the command string, so the software here doesn't see that as an emoji at all, but here it does or maybe it's something like when people accidentally delete the end or part of the 'Quote' deliniators, ie [.QUOTE] their text here... [/QUOT - only in this instance, cos the 'E]' that should be on the end of the closing [./QUOTE] has been omitted (. added to ensure example remains as is!) which means that the text 'quoted' won't ever appear/be displayed as a quote, even if it's been left in its entirety and not edited/reduced to only the necessary/pertinent text in order to aid clarity &/or brevity....

Make sense? Help any?
    Let's start from the beginning of the parts of your post I highlighted.

Not even the best psychologists in the world know what my problem is.

If the issue was something on my end where I hit something by mistake, there's no reason why this issue would only show up now and then, right? On the "FTFY" thing, I get that although I'm sure someone could tweak the forum software to eliminate that issue. Sometimes, "FTFY" or "YES!" or something similar are exactly what needs to be posted. I used to end my posts with "HAGO". I'm sure that would be a problem, too. I don't post via phone/tablet although I just got a new tablet so I might start using that. "AR" was referring to ARtraveler and I guess he could have been using a phone/tablet to post although I go back to....why would it happen with MY own posts? I've got a fully up to date, 3 year old Lenovo ThinkPad laptop so I'm not inclined to think it's a problem with my machine.

When it comes down to it, I guess it doesn't matter. I can't do anything about it although it's really starting to irk me. If I want to post "qddgfAYT2 blh fran to be aouhidga", I should be able to.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ftfyh

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Ftfyh
    Interesting! I wrote the above in all caps!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Ftfyh
    Interesting! I wrote the above in all caps!
    BTFSOM! Your 'random letter string' didn't remain 'All Caps' just cos it's not a recognisable word?! And mine did cos I added enough 'Real Words' that my 'random letter string' worked fine!

(BTFSOM = Beats The Flyin **** Outta Me!)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Let's start from the beginning of the parts of your post I highlighted.

Not even the best psychologists in the world know what my problem is.

If the issue was something on my end where I hit something by mistake, there's no reason why this issue would only show up now and then, right? On the "FTFY" thing, I get that although I'm sure someone could tweak the forum software to eliminate that issue. Sometimes, "FTFY" or "YES!" or something similar are exactly what needs to be posted. I used to end my posts with "HAGO". I'm sure that would be a problem, too. I don't post via phone/tablet although I just got a new tablet so I might start using that. "AR" was referring to ARtraveler and I guess he could have been using a phone/tablet to post although I go back to....why would it happen with MY own posts? I've got a fully up to date, 3 year old Lenovo ThinkPad laptop so I'm not inclined to think it's a problem with my machine.

When it comes down to it, I guess it doesn't matter. I can't do anything about it although it's really starting to irk me. If I want to post "qddgfAYT2 blh fran to be aouhidga", I should be able to.
    BTFSOM! Your 'random letter string' didn't remain 'All Caps' just cos it's not a recognisable word?! And mine did cos I added enough 'Real Words' that my 'random letter string' worked fine!

(BTFSOM = Beats The Flyin **** Outta Me!)
    I really don't know what is going on Monk, but the more I look at it, the more I think there's the known 'Recognisable Word' thing occurring - altho... did you type 'QDDFAYT2 BLH FRAN TO BE AOUHIDGA' in 'All Caps' or just as 'qddgfAYT2 blh fran to be aouhidga' - cos that seems to work OK for me when I quote it?? Either way, it looks like there's something else going on that is MOST LIKELY due to some odd settings on your devices.....but cos I can't replicate that, I just

So truly, at this stage, whatever that might be does BTFSOM! I will pass a link to this thread on to Admin tho!

Ps: re the 'just tweak the Forum software to fix this' bit - the Forum is run on a proprietary software platform, and it is what it is... sure, it might LOOK or even SOUND easy enough for someone to fix that particular issue, but it's built into a product that's literally Tens of Thousands of lines of Code long, and to find the single script error that causes that (relatively minor) problem might take a loooong time for a skilled coder (ie, expensive!) to find - time that Lamont would hafta pay for if we did it here/to this platform, and that's time that he wouldn't EVER get any recompense for!! So it won't happen at this level, especially since making ANY change like that could have significant ramifications elsewhere & cause all sorts of other 'unintended consequences', if not bring the entire platform down; so it'd cost a LOT of 'un-recoverable $$' to test & verify that it'd all still work properly after fixing even just ONE line of code!!

And besides, doing that for OUR Forum would make our 'Forum platform' unique, introducing all sorts of (expensive) update & maintenance problems, and basically increase the cost of providing this Forum EXPONENTIALLY!! But it IS a 'known issue' that the people who developed & provided this platform are (now) aware of, so at some stage in the future, during one of the upgrades, fixes, or maybe thru the normal product development that's going on ALL the time, if the particular glitch that causes it this ever clearly identified, it will (maybe) get found & fixed - possibly even without creating any number of 'unintended consequences'.....

Pps: Your earlier use of 'HAGO' was never an issue AFAIK, but I can't say I ever recall specifically looking for how it appeared when quoted?! Still, it definitely wasn't something that was ever obviously an issue, nor was it ever raised as an issue.... and as far as I can see, no-one else has had any issues quoting it as entered - but I didn't check ALL your posts & any quotes of them!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really don't know what is going on Monk, but the more I look at it, the more I think there's the known 'Recognisable Word' thing occurring (altho... did you type 'QDDFAYT2 BLH FRAN TO BE AOUHIDGA' in 'All Caps' or just as 'qddgfAYT2 blh fran to be aouhidga' - cos that seems to work OK for me when I quote it?? ) Soo, then there's something else that is MOST LIKELY due to some odd settings on your devices.....

But truly, at this stage, whatever that might be does BTFSOM!
    I typed that in all lower case, mate. Still doubt it's something on my machine since Idaho had the same issue when he typed what he did but whatever. Other than bothering my OCD, I'll get over it.

Spyder Garage

I typed that in all lower case, mate. Still doubt it's something on my machine since Idaho had the same issue when he typed what he did but whatever. Other than bothering my OCD, I'll get over it.
    When Idaho typed in 'FTFYH' in all caps, it was just that & nothing else - so the reason THAT didn't work in his original post AND then why that showed as it did in his later quote of it was that 'Recognisable word' thing that I mentioned earlier - it's a known issue, there's just not enough 'real words' in there for the platform to recognise so whatever the issue/code glitch is, it spits the dummy & basically says 'you can't have that show in All Caps unless you give me a proper word to go on! ' (BTW, that's the 'platform' shaking it's finger at you. )

BUT, when you typed that 'unintelligable letter string' in with a bunch of other text, if you'd put it in as All Caps, it should've shown as All Caps - as it is, it seems to have displayed as entered in both your original post and in all the subsequent quotes - so surely that isn't a problem?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First a quick test.

FTFY

atwpoihtb vaew rothbatorgv a

OR

AOHAOGUIHASBR O;TRB

Let's see what happens?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, maybe, if I type something the system thinks is a non-word, it becomes a word as long as there are other (non-quoted) words along with it? FWIW, I typed "FTFY" in caps, the first string of nonsense in lower case and the 2nd string of nonsense in all caps. AND, lets see if it allows "FWIW" (For What It's Worth) to remain as all caps.

While I'm whinging, the system should allow ANYTHING to be considered as legit words/phrases even if it's not (to the system). I would that that would only take unchecking a box by the admin.

Spyder Garage

First a quick test.

FTFY

atwpoihtb vaew rothbatorgv a

OR

AOHAOGUIHASBR O;TRB

Let's see what happens?
    So, maybe, if I type something the system thinks is a non-word, it becomes a word as long as there are other (non-quoted) words along with it? FWIW, I typed "FTFY" in caps, the first string of nonsense in lower case and the 2nd string of nonsense in all caps. AND, lets see if it allows "FWIW" (For What It's Worth) to remain as all caps.

While I'm whinging, the system should allow ANYTHING to be considered as legit words/phrases even if it's not (to the system). I would that that would only take unchecking a box by the admin.
    The 'Known Issue' is when you don't type in enough letters in a recognisable word for the system to see that you actually meant for them to remain all caps or not - so your test at post #14 above isn't valid, but Idaho's test at post #8 IS!! You'll need to type in just a string of letters in all caps with no recognisable words in it or with it in the post, ie, unintelligible string only, in order to see how this particular 'known issue' occurs, cos as soon as you add words like you did above, you've voided that particular 'known issue' & both the post & the quote will show the text as & how you entered it, caps or no-caps!

And NO, it's not as simple as an Admin unchecking or checking a box for that to be changed - if it was, it would've been done already!! There's something buried deep in amongst those Tens of Thousands of lines of Code that's not clearly identifiable or readily traced that's causing that particular issue, and no-one has (of yet) been able to work out exactly why it's happening!! It's not MEANT to haapen like that, but it clearly does! That's why it's been identified as needing to be fixed, but all the obvious, simple, &/or easy solutions have failed to work..... so far! But they are aware of it, and they are looking for it, amongst other things!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Fwiw btfsom
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

FWIW this BTFSOM
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Fwiw btfsom
    FWIW this BTFSOM
    See the difference between post #17 & post #18 above? Both FWIW BTFSOM strings were typed in All Caps, but there was no recognisable 'word' in the first try at post #17, so the 'Known Issue' converted the caps to lower case - who knows why, the coders sure don't!! Then simply by adding the word 'this' (or 'it' - which is what I tried first, just to see. ) to the string of unrecognised letters, the 'All Caps' were allowed.... who knows why, the coders sure don't!! THAT's why it's not an easy fix - no-one really knows why this happens or where the bit of coding in amongst all those Tens of Thousands of lines of Code that causes it to occur might be - heck, it might be a conflict between a few otherwise totally un-related bits of code in completely different places/doing completely different things that's causing it, but it's NOT EASY to identify where/why/how, or it would've been sorted already!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If someone knows code, it WOULD be an easy fix but let's try something (in the next posts).

Spyder Garage

From the thread where you originally posted FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Got the reply from a different thread. FTFY = Fixed That For You.

PS: the CAPITAL function seems to be working for me.
    So apart from this 'Known Issue' thing, when you type ONLY an unintelligable string in All Caps but the software won't recognise it, is there still a problem??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fwiw a

("A" is should be a known word but perhaps it's not long enough.)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FWIW, I disagree with this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok. It's not sorted and never will be so I'll leave this alone, mate. Tks.

Spyder Garage

If someone knows code, it WOULD be an easy fix but let's try something (in the next posts).
    No, I know enough of code & coding to know this REALLY isn't all that much of an easy fix. Believe me, if it's a conflict between various un-related lines, then even finding it could be pretty difficult, let alone FIXING it! And then there's all the other priorities the platform designers/coders have to contend with &/or satisfy - even with machine generated coding, de-bugging, and testing, a little thing like this, which really isn't all that much of an issue, could easily keep on sliding down the priorities list and never quite make the cut...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!