Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Brand new Spyder RT rider needs an answer!

Howdy!

When discussing my Spyder experience with other 'Biker's,' do I call it---My Trike, My Bike, My Spyder etc and do I say: "I went for a RIDE today or a DRIVE?? It's probably a silly question but what say you??

I am a Moderator on a HUGE Motorcycle Forum and we welcome Riders and Drivers of all types, 2, 3 and even a few Street 4 wheelers.

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I refer to my spyder, I ride it, just like I do any other bike. As for giving it a name, I consider it a spyder or trike, or I tell my grandkids, "it's grandpa's tricycle".
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I RIDE my SPYDER.
    2014 ST-L

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me it's just less hassle to call it a bike or motorcycle. I usually RIDE it unless I'm going around a curve.Then I DRIVE it!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To me it's Peggy's trike or Peggy's Spyder, it's got three wheels so it isn't a bike. And I feel since you're astraddle it like a bike
    or a horse, you ride it. You'd drive a Slingshot, but ride a Spyder.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

There is not just one answer,I think it depends who youre talking to.For random people like when checking in at a hotel i might say can I put my "bike"under the canopy.If Im talking with bikers I might say,yea Im riding that blue Spyder over there.I feel that a Spyder is driven more than its ridden bc of all the effort you put into it,like leaning and steering compared to just a little countersteering to set up a turn on a 2 wheeler but I would use the word ride when talking to others.I never refer to it as a trike bc that makes it sound like a hd or a gw to me.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

As a moderator, how do YOU handle an HD Trike?
    It would EXACTLY the same!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For ME, if my knees are in the breeze, I'm RIDING. I refer to it as a bike, motorcycle or Spyder. If I call it a trike, most people who aren't familiar with Spyders think I'm referring to a 2 wheels in back machine. Then I have to explain what this is. I don't have time to explain, I have time to ride. (Or as some refer to it, rYde.)

Spyder Garage

To my riding pals, I RIDE my WEEBLE. (they wobble but they don't fall down)
    To the uninitiated, I RIDE a SPYDER.
    To the stupid people I come across, I RIDE a CAN-AM REVERSE TRIKE.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have been riding my "bike" from day one. Old habits die hard. The fun comes when you may be called out by someone with no class. Then call it what you want. Spyder seems to fit those occasions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-08-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We have had both 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers of various makes in the garage since 1992 - 2 wheels is a bike , 3 wheels is a trike. I ride when on either one, and when I do I am out for a ride. When in the car I can go out for a drive, and when I am out for a drive I drive the car. But when I drive the car I can also be out for a ride. English is a strange language.

Completely extraneous information:
    In Missouri there are 4 classes of less-than-4-wheel vehicles. Mopeds are less than 50cc, are capable of less than 30mph max, don't require a special license or helmet use. Things line the Slingshot, Vanderhall etc, that have side by side seating, are at least partially enclosed and a few other details of law are classed as Autocycles. They don't require a motorcycle endorsement or a helmet if you are under 26 years old. The law specifies that motorcycles and motortricycles come under the same regulations and are straddled, have handlebars, in line seating, require a helmet if an occupant is under 26 and such.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

If they give you a bad time, drop it in reverse and do a circle around them. And say "How do you like me now!"
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

BIKE....MOTORCYCLE. Been riding 'em since 1952 and still do it. I'm not changing the nomenclature now.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Hand signal

When the 2-wheelers point two fingers down, you respond with three fingers down.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

In Georgia I had to get a "Motorcycle" endorsement on my license to legally ride it.

Bike, Motorcycle, Spyder or Trike, they all work for me be I try not to use Trike because like Monk said most people envision two wheels on the back.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Symmetrical Transportation Device
    (STD)
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Reverse trike

Spyder Garage

I use ""Can Am 3-wheel motorcycle" most of the time when asked by strangers. To my friends that know me, I'll say I went for a RIDE on my Trike or 3 wheeler. For my electric assisted bicycle, I use "E-Bike". English IS truly strange some times.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    If they give you a bad time, drop it in reverse and do a circle around them. And say "How do you like me now!"
    Do do say this while lying on the ground after tipping your Spyder over doing a reverse circle, Snoking?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I call it a trike and say I’m going for a ride.......couldn’t care less what others call it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I simply call it my Ryker. And when I go out, I "went for a ride".
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    When the 2-wheelers point two fingers down, you respond with three fingers down.
    NO, sir. The "2 fingers down wave" signifies you hope the other rider keeps 2 wheels on the ground. You'll confuse them if you use 3 fingers. I'll give anyone other than a Spyder/Ryker rider the standard "wave". When I see another Spyder/Ryker rider, I give them a wave like I'm trying to flag someone down at an airport.

Spyder Garage

I call it a Spyder, and I ride it. I try not to use the word bike or motorcycle. I have nothing against anyone that does its just I rode a motorcycle for so long and IMO my Spyder is not a motorcycle or bike. I did once tell my kids I should call my Spyder "College Fund" after telling them I used that money to buy it. They didn't think it was as funny as I did.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

"I should call my Spyder "College Fund" after telling them I used that money to buy it. "

I tell my kids if they inherit anything, I miscalculated.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'll give anyone other than a Spyder/Ryker rider the standard "wave". When I see another Spyder/Ryker rider, I give them a wave like I'm trying to flag someone down at an airport.
    Now that right thar is funny.....
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited