Spyder Garage

Default New tires for my Spyder

After reading all about the car tires members are putting on their Spyders I decided to take the
    plunge and put car tires on my Spyder. I ordered them and hope to get them put on this week.
    I have 9200 miles on my Spyder and the back tire needs replaced. Decided to go ahead and replace
    the front ones too because it is a 2017 and the tires are dated 2016. Safety first.
    Decided on the General Altimax Rt43 for the back and Federal Formosa AZ01 for the front.
    I will post later my thoughts on how they feel after I get to ryde with them awhile.
    Hope to get more miles out of these tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

You chose well and you will be amazed at the vast improvement when you hit the road.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

You’re going to be happy!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    ...... Decided on the General Altimax Rt43 for the back and Federal Formosa AZ01 for the front.
    Hope to get more miles out of these tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You chose well and you will be amazed at the vast improvement when you hit the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    You’re going to be happy!
    Me Three!

Run your new tires at something close to the right pressure for the (lighter than most autos) load your Spyder puts on them (soo... probably about 16-18 psi ) and I've no doubt you'll not only enjoy the improved traction, ride, & handling they'll provide, but you'll also very likely get a bunch better mileage out of them too!

Looking forward to hearing your experience with them, & in the meantime, Enjoy!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... 16 front and 18 rear .... these amounts have been studied and agreed upon by myself and Peter based on Science .... Auto tires are way stronger than the OEM Kenda's .... and the PSI needs to be lowered to these levels so the tires will perform at their highest level ..... enjoy the ride .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Please post the difference the 215/60 does to your speedo. Mine is 2-3 MPH off at 65. That is at 65 on the trike's speedo my GPS and phone both say I am only doing 62-63. Thanks
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Please post the difference the 215/60 does to your speedo. Mine is 2-3 MPH off at 65. That is at 65 on the trike's speedo my GPS and phone both say I am only doing 62-63. Thanks
    My experience is the difference is reduced to about 1 mph. All Spyder speedo show 2-3 mph above actual. That's to avoid having the speedo ever show less than actual. International vehicle regulations prohibit having a speedo show less than actual.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Same dilemma for me. One year in the 2019 F3. 13K miles. Rear tire is showing the worn center already. Going to replace the rear tire only. The fronts are still like new. I usually get 20K from front OEM's.

Going to Lamonster Garage in about a month for annual service and farkles for the new 2020 F3. I put Federals on last time...will see what Lamonster has this go around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Cool Update

Got the front tires installed today and DW and I went for a ryde about 100 miles.
    Backroads and interstate. These new tires are awesome! I could tell the difference right away
    and I believe the small vibration in the handlebars is gone. They do grip the rode in the curves.
    I have the rear tire off now to get the new tire installed tomorrow. I believe the Spyder
    will ryde great with the addition of the car tire in the rear also.
    I have been told this taller tire will correct the speedometer also. I will let
    you know after it is installed and get to test it out.

Spyder Garage

Cool New rear tire installed today

Well I got the new rear tire installed today and put back together on the Spyder.
    Also installed the missing belt guard while I had it apart.
    DW and I went for ryde afterwards and she said she could tell a difference. Smoother.
    Did not balance the rear tire when installed and it seems fine so far. Had the Spyder
    Up to 75 and no vibration. Woohoo. Didn’t know how it was going to act.
    Blueknight911 said he had run car tires with out balancing before so I was hopeful.
    I think I am going to be happy with the car tires. Glad I made the switch.
    The speedometer is still off by 2mph. Bike said 60 mph and GPS said 58 mph
    This stays consistent throughout different speeds.
    See picture below of new front tires and new rear tire.
    16 psi in front. 18 psi in rear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"The speedometer is still off by 2mph. Bike said 60 mph and GPS said 58 mph. This stays consistent throughout different speeds."

That seems kind of odd. Usually they're off by a percentage, and consequently the difference increases as speed increases. Odd
    that yours stays at 2 MPH difference.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

That is what I am seeing. The GPS speed did jump up 1mph occasionally then go back I though that was odd!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well I got the new rear tire installed today and put back together on the Spyder.
    Also installed the missing belt guard while I had it apart.
    DW and I went for ryde afterwards and she said she could tell a difference. Smoother.
    Did not balance the rear tire when installed and it seems fine so far. Had the Spyder
    Up to 75 and no vibration. Woohoo. Didn’t know how it was going to act.
    Blueknight911 said he had run car tires with out balancing before so I was hopeful.
    I think I am going to be happy with the car tires. Glad I made the switch.
    The speedometer is still off by 2mph. Bike said 60 mph and GPS said 58 mph
    This stays consistent throughout different speeds.
    See picture below of new front tires and new rear tire.
    16 psi in front. 18 psi in rear
    Regarding "balancing car tires " ..... Yes I have had some success with not balancing by placing the DOT in line with the Valve stem .... but this was on a truck ...... I have also stated on a Spyder , a car tire Doesn't need balancing on the REAR. For the front this might or might not work..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Tires

Just curious about your new tires. Where did you get them? Did you remove the front wheels or did you have the tire shop help? Enjoy your Ryde Time. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Discount Tire did not have the correct cone to balance my front Federals. Tech said he aligned the colored dot to the valve stem. I put them back on and no vibrations at all.

Pictures are of the weights on the OEM Kenda's.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Just curious about your new tires. Where did you get them? Did you remove the front wheels or did you have the tire shop help? Enjoy your Ryde Time. ......
    I ordered the rear tire (General )from local Walmart store and had to order the Federal from Walmart online and had them delivered to my house. I took the front and back wheels off myself and took them too a local tire shop I trust. They were able to balance the front tires but not the rear.

Spyder Garage

I had a dealer(Nash in Mesa, AZ) install my rear and they where able to balance it. I brought the wheel with bearings in it to them along with the General Altimax RT43. They only charge me 27 bucks and change, plus they keep the old Kenda OEM tire, which was down to wear bars in the center. I did a longer test ride yesterday and am going to lower the pressure from 20 to 18 for the next ride. Rear felt very planted on the twisties to Canyon Lake. DW can not ride anymore because of ALS, so could maybe go a little lower yet on rear inflation. My speedo corrected a lot less that I had hoped for. I wish there was an easy way to fix it. At 65 is was off 3 MPH and now 2 MPH.

Spyder Garage

I'm on my second Altimax RT 43 215/60 R15 rear tire running 20 psi and my Spyder speedometer reads 2 mph faster than my Zumo 590 between 55 and 70 on the GPS, more like 1 mph in the 35-40 range.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hopefully by now you have had the tires long enough and put enough miles (and smiles) on them that you realize that you used an incorrect word in your original post.
    ... I decided to take the plunge and put car tires on my Spyder.
    By now, you should realize that should read "put REAL tires on my Spyder".

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'm on my second Altimax RT 43 215/60 R15 rear tire running 20 psi and my Spyder speedometer reads 2 mph faster than my Zumo 590 between 55 and 70 on the GPS, more like 1 mph in the 35-40 range.
    I am also on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 Tire size 215/60 R 15 This was done @ can am dealership. Miles on spyder when 2nd General Altimax RT 43 was installed was 24,553. Running it at 19 PSI. No issues with the above tire. Current mileage on spyder is 28,143. ( off topic: I also installed the General Altimax RT 43 on my car). Back on topic.

The front tires I am running : Continental Contiprocontacts Size 165/60 R 15. These were installed in June 2016 with the mileage at the time( 12,807) Current mileage on front tires is: 15,336.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Hopefully by now you have had the tires long enough and put enough miles (and smiles) on them that you realize that you used an incorrect word in your original post.

By now, you should realize that should read "put REAL tires on my Spyder".

You are correct ! These are real tires compared to The originals. I would never go back to the factory tires they put on the Spyders. These real tires
    Really make the difference. All Spyders should come with Real tires. BRP might just see an increase in sells when people see how well the Spyder can
    handle and ryde with Real tires on it.