Spyder Garage

Default Help me decide which model to buy?

I am looking to buy my first Spyder. I rode Harleys for years with my current one a TriGlide. Looking to the Spyder mainly for the power steering (arthritis in shoulders). Primary use will be a at least couple of 2 week road trips per year, one solo and the rest would be with wife. Not a twists fanatic, but want to be able to handle anything that comes along as almost all rides start out through the mountains. What are the advantages (or desirables) of the various models. I think I am leaning towards a Limited, either an RT or an F3, but am open to suggestions.

Thx
    Rick

Spyder Garage

The RTL and the F3L are both great machines.
    Main difference is seating position.
    To best understand you really need to test drive both
    to find what is comfortable to you. Try the RTL first, then the F3L
    and you will know pretty quick.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Thx. Are the features the primarily the same, just a different riding position?

Spyder Garage

RT-L all the way, or look at the this years special edition the Sea to Sky which wraps a lot of the goodies into a single package. You might just add the adjustable handle bar option to the S2S or any other RT-L. The regular RT-L Chrome have really ugly flower petal front wheels. Not only will you like the steering, the SE6 paddle shift tranny is great. Built in Nav on the HD is probably much better than BRP messy connect app. I just use Google maps/nav on my smart phone. Plan trips on the desktop computer and send them to my phone.

With the RT's you just guide them down the road if the wheel alignment is correct. I just set the CC and rest my hands on the handle bars.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Thx. Are the features the primarily the same, just a different riding position?
    No, there are many differences beyond the seating position. Windshield, storage, controls, seat itself etc. What will be the same is the engine and transmission and a few other things. I would say the RTL or Sea to Sky is better suited for two touring if the operator likes the seating position, that is always the first thing; the operator must like their riding position.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 03-07-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Limited in either RT or F3 is a great package deal. You get the upline stuff, some extras that would cost more if you put them on yourself at a later date.

My take as a rider of both flavors is that the RT gives you a more upright position. You sit ON the RT. It rides similar to a GW or an upline HD.

The F3 is more "cruiser style" riding. You sit IN it and the ride is like any upline cruiser....but smooth, not stiff.

I highly recommend test driving both styles. We all have our likes and dislikes. Your preference is what counts.

I will add, that I have been an RT owner and rider from 2010 through 2019. Three total owned during that period. Changed over to F3 in December of 2019 and bought another in January of 2021. Not quite as fancy as the RT, but I saved three to four thousand bucks in the process on each model.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would say F3L since you have been riding cruisers most your life. That will be the most comfortable for you. RT is Goldwing riding position. That is more upright feet straight down. F3L feet out forward. I've had both. F3L for me from now on. I'm used to cruiser style.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I came off a Tri Glide an would go with the RT has everything you need and keeps the wife happy too.

If I had some extra cash I would buy the newer models as they have more seat room for you and the passenger.

Make sure you test ride the models to make sure its what you want. They do ride like a Cadillac.

And you will really like the paddle shifting to compared to the Harley.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

Well, as others have pointed out, about the seat concerns you should definitely test ryde. First find out where a good dealer is located and give them a call. Do you homework on the Spyder Forum.

Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Seems some are forgetting the RT model was changed in 2020. The 20 RT sits lower than previous years but still a little higher than the F3. The floorboards on the RT allow for positioning your legs anywhere you wish while rolling - feet forward, under, or a tad to the rear, F3 would need add-on floorboards to do the same. The RT windscreen is adjustable via switch, F3 screen is fixed. The RT may be slightly slower acceleration due to being heavier. Some have installed an extra set of foot pegs on F3s to ease mounting, not an issue with the RT.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Test ride, test ride, test ride!!! That's the only way YOU will know which one is the ride for YOU. Be certain your bride gets adequate test ride time/miles too or two up could turn into a miserable experience.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Well it is finally happening. I am buying my Spyder this week. It is a 2018 F3 Limited with 198 miles on it. Will post some better pics once it is home.

7yGsvDQl.jpg
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Well it is finally happening. I am buying my Spyder this week. It is a 2018 F3 Limited with 198 miles on it. Will post some better pics once it is home.

7yGsvDQl.jpg
    Congrats. If the wife needs more room you can get spyderpops trunk extender. Gives 3-1/2 inch of more space for her.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

JP58 - seen those. Will let the wife decide if she wants more room. Thx
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I saw the special series yesterday at the dealership and wanted it soooo bad!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy.