Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on fitting an Inside belt guard to an F3?

Does anyone have an opinion on Inspector Gadget's inside belt guard? Has anyone tried one on an F3 Limited? I know Spyderpops offers a polycarbonate guard but it costs over C$100 with shipping to Canada.

Any observations would be appreciated as it is often very difficult to avoid road construction detours with plenty of gravel and a semi on your tail!

Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jhmac View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on Inspector Gadget's inside belt guard? Has anyone tried one on an F3 Limited? I know Spyderpops offers a polycarbonate guard but it costs over C$100 with shipping to Canada.

Any observations would be appreciated as it is often very difficult to avoid road construction detours with plenty of gravel and a semi on your tail!

Thanks.
    Well if look at the belt, sprocket, and swingarm ... making one is not difficult ,,,,, I did and it covers more area than any commercial one I've seen to date ..... good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

After seeing this picture, I am with Mike, fabing that would be a piece of cake!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    After seeing this picture, I am with Mike, fabing that would be a piece of cake!!
    What the hey, I just ordered one yesterday. If I was a bit younger and more limber I would fab one also. I blew $30 or so on the plastic one that I never could get to fit properly to satisfy myself. Bending heating and cutting just didn't get it. Spoke to SpyderDan on the phone yesterday (a very nice guy) and he explained the install. Shouldn't be a lot of up and down and up and down to get it to fit properly, and last for almost ever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jhmac View Post

Thanks.
    Did you ever install the Inside Belt Guard?
    If so can you shoot a picture or two for me to help with my install?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Inside belt guard

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    Did you ever install the Inside Belt Guard?
    If so can you shoot a picture or two for me to help with my install?
    Thanks!
    If you Google 'Inside belt guard', you will find a series of useful pictures from Custom Spyder Works. I hope this helps and good luck!

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, it looks like the pictures are all from an RT. I can't see how it should work on my F3!

Spyder Garage

2dogs: Which model Spyder did you fit the Belt Guard on, plz?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jneg2 View Post
    2dogs: Which model Spyder did you fit the Belt Guard on, plz?
    Sorry, haven't installed it on my RTS yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jneg2 View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like the pictures are all from an RT. I can't see how it should work on my F3!
    Those pictured should work fine on the F3 Ltd's & F3-T's jneg, cos they have the same swing arms as the RT's . But it still shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something similar to suit the rounded tubes of your F3's swing arm, even if you need to show those pics to a metal shop/home metal worker friend if you aren't up to doing that yourself.

Still'n all, I do a lot of back country miles on my Spyder, and I really don't 'actively avoid' gravel or dirt roads; plus, I'll even admit that there just may have been the odd occasion when I've gone searching for a 'loosely gravelled road/track' just to play around a little bit (go on, try it, it can be fun! ) - and with lots of gravel road miles & even some 'spirited playing' on them, I've never had any stone/belt issues as a result! So maybe there's a lot of needless angst over riding on good gravel or dirt roads?!

Fresh & still loose/sticky chip seal covered roads however.... those & that stuff I DO actively avoid whenever possible!! . That stuff is EVIL & should be banned - or at the very least any road authority/municipality that uses it should be forced to immediately & without question pay full compensation for any distress, damage, &/or clean-up resulting from riding/driving on it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!