Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete Pipe Recommendations?

Want to install a cat delete pipe on our 2020 RTL. I see several companies are offering them and wondered what experiences people have had with the different brands? They pretty much all look the same.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RLS nice sound

Spyder Garage

I also have an RLS with the muffler and no baffle. Seems to be fine to me -- tiny bit more sound when riding and -1 mpg. No more burning smells and I hope it is cooler in the Summer, my main reason for changing. If you order one, do it by phone. I enjoyed talking to Rick.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I have a Baldwin Ironworks cat delete pipe. Awesome quality, and Paul is a great guy. Can't say I ever had exhaust/fuel smell..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyd...MAAOSwCXxcLTOH

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

RLS is fantastic!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. In photos it looks like the RLS has a chamber similar to a catalytic converter? What is that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kingz View Post
    Thanks for the replies. In photos it looks like the RLS has a chamber similar to a catalytic converter? What is that?
    Ricky calls it a resonator. Basically a chamber to build up exhaust for added back pressure.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I went with a RSL cat delete with the baffle and F3 LTD muffler on 2020 RT ltd ....simply perrrfect ...for me !!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RLS!!!! There is no comparison!!!! Has built in resonator chamber that keeps noise to a minimum and produces a nice deep tone! I love mine!!!
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Years ago we bought a Lamonster bypass pipe. No baffle, no resonator. Sounds good for us and has a pretty sweet bark.

The exhaust note is not so much deep, nor is it overly raspy, the cat delete is connected to the oem multi chambered muffler.

There was no RLS or other brands offered then, but no plans to change. This bypass pipe is stainless construction, aligned in a jig and tig welded like a performance race exhaust.

Spyder Garage

RLS on my 2019 f3 LTD great sound and a lot less heat ! did a lot of looking and RLS was the one .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A cat delete eliminates a considerable amount of heat. That's a given. As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that. That I know of anyway. Sound, yea, lots of folks have noticed a little louder and lower tone. Reports of a baffle in or out of the cat delete will change the low RPM torque and or the high RPM torque. Other reports say that the ECM continually adjusts itself to control any modification to remain at stock performance. I tend to go along with that theory. So, the only thing that really seems to change with a cat delete, is the loss of some heat and a change of exhaust sound.

Spyder Garage

Agree with 2dogs, on this, only more sound, no performance increase,A tune does increase the power significally, also changes the sound, mine is quite quiet, till I hit 4000 rpms, then it squeals.
    nice raspy sound tho, I made my own cat delete, have a baffle actually before the exhaustpipe ( an Akropovic)IMG_20201027_081608.jpg
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    ...As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that.
    I've lost ~1.5mpg with my RLS and no baffle. No detectable change in power or torque. If the springs weren't such a pain, I'd put the baffle into the RLS. The riding sound is fine, but if you rev it up in the driveway, it rasps like one of the tinny little rice-burner cars.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I've lost ~1.5mpg with my RLS and no baffle. No detectable change in power or torque. If the springs weren't such a pain, I'd put the baffle into the RLS. The riding sound is fine, but if you rev it up in the driveway, it rasps like one of the tinny little rice-burner cars.

Interesting, what muffler? Ours has the stock 2014 muffler. Maybe the early muffler is chambered differently, since ours is not raspy in my opinion. Certainly has a louder bark and more of a snarl than rasp. Luckily it does not sound like a Harley V Twin.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Interesting, what muffler? Ours has the stock 2014 muffler. Maybe the early muffler is chambered differently, since ours is not raspy in my opinion. Certainly has a louder bark and more of a snarl than rasp. Luckily it does not sound like a Harley V Twin.
    Stock 2020RT muffler. And as I say, the sound while riding is fine, perhaps a little lower/fuller sound than stock. It doesn't sound like a Harley nor a Mopar... It also doesn't make the wonderful Whiskey Tenor sound of my old XS750 Yamaha triple.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Stock 2020RT muffler. And as I say, the sound while riding is fine, perhaps a little lower/fuller sound than stock. It doesn't sound like a Harley nor a Mopar... It also doesn't make the wonderful Whiskey Tenor sound of my old XS750 Yamaha triple.
    Is your 2020 muffler different than the earlier 1330 RT mufflers. I know ours has a bunch of chambers inside the muffler, but not actual packing material. Maybe my modified i take helps too with the exhaust note.

Spyder Garage

Was not sure what Whiskey Tenor was or meant. Looked it up. Does not seem to be a desirable thing based on definition.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whiskey+tenor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Was not sure what Whiskey Tenor was or meant. Looked it up. Does not seem to be a desirable thing based on definition.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whiskey+tenor
    Yea, I got some very strange add ons.

Spyder Garage

A cat delete eliminates a considerable amount of heat. That's a given. As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that. That I know of anyway. Sound, yea, lots of folks have noticed a little louder and lower tone. Reports of a baffle in or out of the cat delete will change the low RPM torque and or the high RPM torque. Other reports say that the ECM continually adjusts itself to control any modification to remain at stock performance. I tend to go along with that theory. So, the only thing that really seems to change with a cat delete, is the loss of some heat and a change of exhaust sound.
    Sort of. Yes the computer will, constantly learn and adjust as needed. This is in regards to watching upstream FA ratios. Not sure, but believe the Spyder, like other vehicles tends to learn trends from the operator.

Yes, there is a huge heat reduction. As for MPG, I have documented a very slight increase in mpg. Regarding power, unfortunately, so many people see power as a number, or an increase. That is not quite the case. Usable power is often far more valued than an increase in peak power. With our bypass installed, and the computer has learned over say 100 miles of riding with varied throttle settings, our Spyder has the ability to rev more freely into the mid range, while pulling stronger than with the oem exhaust. This is not revving each gear to max rpm and bouncing the rev limiter, simply accelerating and shifting gears at around 4200 to 4500 revs. Oem kind of started signing off and liked to be short shifted at 3500 or fewer revs.
    My opinion though, everybody is different, do what you like. It is ironic though. Other owners with essentially the same Spyder model and same exhaust, insist I cut open our muffler and reworked it. The exhaust note on ours has strong bark and the engine pulls hard. Theirs, has a much softer exhaust note, but as a rider, they tend to ride at lower revs and short shift.

Spyder Garage

I just installed the RLS Mid-pipe, black ceramic coated for heat reduction.
    I installed the baffle at the inlet, for back pressure/low end torque retention.

I've found over several brand and models of bikes, that the back pressure is more important that the wide open/loud exhaust.
    Even tuned, unless it's a built up motor, an open exhaust costs you torque.
    Since my Spyder RTL will be mostly 2-up, torque is the most valuable asset.

I did do the 15 minute idle, 15 minute cool down. Then took her out and pushed here. Not super hard, she's got 300 miles.
    I noticed better pull/torque off the line, hit 55mph in 2nd easily, and moving up the gears. The girl friend rode it next and we traded out 2-up, she also noticed better pull.
    I was told that we could be heard riding back in to my sub-division.

Its not super loud, but a deeper,throater sound.
    I used an SPL meter before and after, the decibel level actually went down on average.

start/idle/rev, measured from the rider's seat.
    79.2bd avg / 87.8bd max - Stock
    78.4db avg / 87.8bd max - RLS mid-pipe with baffle

Hope this is helpful.
    I may in the future get one of the RLS torpedo mufflers.
    8-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow71 View Post
    I just installed the RLS Mid-pipe, black ceramic coated for heat reduction.
    I installed the baffle at the inlet, for back pressure/low end torque retention.

I've found over several brand and models of bikes, that the back pressure is more important that the wide open/loud exhaust.
    Even tuned, unless it's a built up motor, an open exhaust costs you torque.
    Since my Spyder RTL will be mostly 2-up, torque is the most valuable asset.

I did do the 15 minute idle, 15 minute cool down. Then took her out and pushed here. Not super hard, she's got 300 miles.
    I noticed better pull/torque off the line, hit 55mph in 2nd easily, and moving up the gears. The girl friend rode it next and we traded out 2-up, she also noticed better pull.
    I was told that we could be heard riding back in to my sub-division.

Its not super loud, but a deeper,throater sound.
    I used an SPL meter before and after, the decibel level actually went down on average.

start/idle/rev, measured from the rider's seat.
    79.2bd avg / 87.8bd max - Stock
    78.4db avg / 87.8bd max - RLS mid-pipe with baffle

Hope this is helpful.
    I may in the future get one of the RLS torpedo mufflers.
    8-)
    While not having an RLS bypass or a baffle in our bypass pipe, if yours acts like ours, put some miles on it, and the performance and exhaust note will change.

As for the baffle, for it to be optimized, I believe the location can matter based on the exhausts resonance wave. Then again maybe not so much. I do know that the oem muffler on our 2014 is not mechanically restricting flow, but does utilize multiple chambers, similar to, but different from a Flowmaster style muffler.

Spyder Garage

Oh, a tip for installing the springs.

Pulling the springs was easy enough.
    But installing the springs with limited use of my Left arm, I could only get one spring on.
    I figured out that wrapping a rachet strap around the back tire and using that to pull on the spring installer and then pulling the spring end towards the hook and releasing the ratch, made it much easier.

Hope this helps

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow71 View Post
    Oh, a tip for installing the springs.

Pulling the springs was easy enough.
    But installing the springs with limited use of my Left arm, I could only get one spring on.
    I figured out that wrapping a rachet strap around the back tire and using that to pull on the spring installer and then pulling the spring end towards the hook and releasing the ratch, made it much easier.

Hope this helps
    This is what I did. A small piece of rope with a trucker's hitch helped a lot. Still had to pull on the spring tool, but much less effort.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

And a few less dollars in the pocket.
    21 Spyder base F3