Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions - How are these new Spyders compared to older Spyders?

Well, a short story - in 2012 I bought a '12 Limited. I drove it 2 years and finally traded it in for a motorcycle. The heat was so bad on the Spyder it melted the soles off of two pair of running shoes (over a summer)! I just couldn't stand the heat so I moved on.

Now I am in a quandary. I am an old fart and my knees are giving out. I just can't throw my touring bike around. However, I want to keep riding but there isn't any sane alternative but Can Am. My concern of course is that I might end up riding a wood stove again. How are these new machines compared to the older ones? I may buy a '21 Sea and Sky and I don't want to waste $30,000.
    Last edited by crossbowme; 03-04-2021 at 01:00 PM.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

I’ve ridden Harleys since 1956 and I pretty much cooked on all of them all driving slow or sitting at a stop light. Sheep skin helped a little but nothing can stop that heat coming off the engine. I have a 2016 RTSE6 and it is probably 1/3 the heat in the summer time than my Harleys. Good luck and ride with the wind.

Spyder Garage

Go with an F3L or T and install a cat delete if it doesn't already have one. My shoe soles are intact.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The wood stove RTs went away after MY 2013. The 2014 and later RTs are a different world. It isn't going to be Spyder heat getting you but atmospheric heat, in which case you should ride early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    Well, a short story - in 2012 I bought a '12 Limited. I drove it 2 years and finally traded it in for a motorcycle. The heat was so bad on the Spyder it melted the soles off of two pair of running shoes (over a summer)! I just couldn't stand the heat so I moved on.

Now I am in a quandary. I am an old fart and my knees are giving out. I just can't throw my touring bike around. However, I want to keep riding but there isn't any sane alternative but Can Am. My concern of course is that I might end up riding a wood stove again. How are these new machines compared to the older ones? I may buy a '21 Sea and Sky and I don't want to waste $30,000.
    I really like the S2S, however I am currently loving our new to us Oct 31st 2020. Have log 4500 miles in day trips in the East Valley of Phoenix. 2018 and 2019 have the newer all electronic dash which I like. I say go for it, however remember their will most likely not discount the S2S right now. They are driving off the showroom floor pretty fast. Remember you just gently guide it down road. I just sort of lay my hands on the handle bars. The BajaRon HD sway bar and Federal Formoza AZ01 car tires up front greatly improved cornering and handling out on the road.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would think if you get a new RT you will not have a heat issue even during the two weeks of summer in Maine. The 2012 had a different engine than the Spyder has now and well; lots of things got improved over the years. I would suggest you stop by a dealer and have a look & sit on the different models. The Sea to Sky looks like a hit so far, as well as all the 2020 + models Spyders. Good Luck with your research and shopping. There is a dealer ( HUFF FOREST PRODUCTS INC. 284 NORTH RD. DETROIT, ME. ) their web site says they have them in stock.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

IMO: Nothing but good news for you. I had two of the first GS/RS 998's (08 & 09). I had two of the 998 RT's (10 & 11). I had one 1330 RT (2014). Now have two F3's (19 & 20). Again, IMO, they keep getting better. And those with 20 or newer RT's are saying good things about the re-do and amenities.

I now have to give up two wheels, but thankful I can still ride at 75. Thank you BRP, Spyder, and F3's.

Test drive time for you. Save time, bring the checkbook.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I really like the S2S, however I am currently loving our new to use Oct 31st 2020. Have log 4500 miles in day trips in the East Valley of Phoenix. 2018 and 2019 have the newer all electronic dash which I like. I say go for it, however remember their will most likely not discount the S2S right now. They are driving off the showroom floor pretty fast. Remember you just gently guide it down road. I just sort of lay my hands on the handle bars. The BajaRon HD sway bar and Federal Formoza AZ01 car tires up front greatly improved cornering and handling out on the road.
    I echo your comments Snoking. Did I understand correctly, you ride a 2020 (RTL?) and have already changed the Kenda's up front? Maybe I read your comment wrong. Many say Kenda's suck, but I'm not dumping them until they wear some. Maybe the Knines are better, I don't see an comments on them, but then they've only been available for a short time.

Spyder Garage

I picked up a 2021 Sea and Sky yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Congrats Enjoy those beautiful New England roads and welcome to Spyder Lovers.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

A good choice for a Spyder. Let the smile Miles begin. Ryde Safe and Stay Healthy. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I echo your comments Snoking. Did I understand correctly, you ride a 2020 (RTL?) and have already changed the Kenda's up front? Maybe I read your comment wrong. Many say Kenda's suck, but I'm not dumping them until they wear some. Maybe the Knines are better, I don't see an comments on them, but then they've only been available for a short time.
    Wear them out Bill you will be just fine then go your choice of regular tires. You will so much more appreciate them.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a plan I can use. :>)

Spyder Garage

His ride is a 2018 RT Limited Chrome - Champagne Metallic.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I picked up a 2021 Sea and Sky yesterday.
    On the New Sea to Sky!! So where did you find it? Make sure and post a photo!! Many Mile of smile for you this summer
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2013 RTL in December 13, and never had a heat problem unless I waved my foot around looking for it. Come to think of it, I haven't had most of the issues i read about here???

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new S2S Spyder. I do not live far from you. There is a few of us in Central Maine that ryde together.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I go up that way frequently. I have family in Bangor/Brewer.

Spyder Garage

I've had RTs. First a 2010, a 2014 and now a 2020.
    Each new model was a quantum leap over the previous year, so the 2020 upgrade is (quantum)^2 times better.
    You'll love the hell out of your new one.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

NO, our 2018 RTL is listed in signature. I did ride a 2021 RT in my trike class and found the brake pedal awkward. Many complain about that and paint that scratches easily. So happy with the 2018 for now.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    On the New Sea to Sky!! So where did you find it? Make sure and post a photo!! Many Mile of smile for you this summer
    I'm having the shop install a couple of items. When I bring it to the house I'll take a photo and post it.

Spyder Garage

on the new S2S. It is becoming a popular choice on the site.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Have a 2020 RTL, love the ride and handling. Much improvement over the 14-19 models. Comfort is up, service is easier, filling gas is improved 100%. Oh yes 72 bad knees and back, Mrs. handicap and rides all day with me. Like the SNAKE picture in your profile. G-model I had was 15066. 69/70

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyDerred15 View Post
    Have a 2020 RTL, love the ride and handling. Much improvement over the 14-19 models. Comfort is up, service is easier, filling gas is improved 100%. Oh yes 72 bad knees and back, Mrs. handicap and rides all day with me. Like the SNAKE picture in your profile. G-model I had was 15066. 69/70
    Where at/who with?