Spyder Garage

Default Another Pedal Commander Thread

I purchased the Pedal Commander from Sling Mods when they had them on sale back around the Holidays - actually it was a X-mas present to myself
    Yesterday was a beautiful day here in SE PA so I decided to install the pedal commander and take the bike out for a ride and see how it performs. All I can say is WOW
    The bike has come alive!! I have only gone through the 4 city modes and sport 1 mode so far - but the throttle response is crazy! I took a familiar route with plenty of twisties and found myself going into the curves a little too fast on more than one occasion
    This might be my best mod so far.
    Pedal Commander.jpg
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

on my list. . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had one on my '21 RT for a couple of months. If you ride at all aggressively, you won't regret it. If you just putt along the highway, it won't do you any good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I've had one on my '21 RT for a couple of months. If you ride at all aggressively, you won't regret it. If you just putt along the highway, it won't do you any good.
    What he said!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Even just to have half the throttle turn to get it up to speed made it worthwhile for me --- I would love to see two or three factory settings for throttle response built in to the Spyder, which would likely be a very easy piece of programming.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Pedal Commander added the fun to my F3 after changing out my 2014 Harley Ultra for 3 wheels! Thank you MartintheVlogger for the hilarious video last year that brought my favorite farkle to my ride!

Spyder Garage

I installed the Pedal Commander on my F3 to help minimize the pain in my wrist and for the fun factor. My right wrist has been bothering me after long Spyder rides for the past year. I installed HelliBars which helped out a lot but the Pedal Commander was a significant improvement. I installed the Pedal Commander prior to traveling 1860 miles round trip to Daytona Bike week and my wrist felt great. When traveling with a group cruise control wasn't the best option so I didn't use cruise control at all.

It may not offer extra horsepower or torque but the quick acceleration will put a big smile on you face. I thought my F3 with the 89 tooth rear sprocket was quick but the Pedal Commander really brought it to life.

My friend who rode with us purchased one prior to leaving and we installed it on his F3 in the parking lot at the hotel. We both installed the controller in a ziplock bag to waterproof it, ziptied and tucked it under the panels controlling it via Bluetooth.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

How does the phone app based bluetooth setup work for you. Would you switch to an external mount now that you have some experience with the app? Second question, does the dealer squeal about it if it's mounted externally and they see it? Is the unit self powered with installed or do you need a battery. I know they say it's not waterproof, but will it handle a rainshower if it's mounted externally? Sorry for all the questions.

mk
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    How does the phone app based bluetooth setup work for you. Would you switch to an external mount now that you have some experience with the app? Second question, does the dealer squeal about it if it's mounted externally and they see it? Is the unit self powered with installed or do you need a battery. I know they say it's not waterproof, but will it handle a rainshower if it's mounted externally? Sorry for all the questions.

mk
    I have the phone app set up but never use it. Some of my gloves aren't touchscreen ready and I rarely change the setting anyway. I had it on my bike at my recent 3k mile service. The tech asked how I liked it and that was it. It's self powered by the bike. No batteries needed. I carry a ziploc baggie in the glove box in case I encounter rain. It's NOT waterproof although I think the occasional sprinkle probably wouldn't hurt it much. YMMV.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post

mk
    The bluetooth app works great for me and it's powered by the Spyder. I don't have any plans on mounting it externally since I don't make a lot of changes. I haven't visited the dealer since I installed mine. When I ride I open the App and let it run in the background and change the settings when I come to a stop, if desired. For the most part I have mine at City +2 which is good for my normal riding. When I want to have fun I set it for Sport +3. I haven't mastered the Sports+ setting yet, so I don't use it.

Martin the Vlogger sells a waterproof Case for the PC if you want to mount it externally, https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pro...rtinTheVlogger
    [B]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Martin the Vlogger sells a waterproof Case for the PC if you want to mount it externally, https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pro...rtinTheVlogger
    water RESISTANT

Spyder Garage

water RESISTANT
    Thanks for the correction
    [B]

Spyder Garage

"I've got an idea. I'm going to make a simple throttle curve selector for a vehicle that is not enclosed and designed to operate during most weather conditions. Then, I'm going to charge 300 big ones for it and.......get this, charge another 50 for a mount. One more catch, I'm not going to make it water proof. ha ha ha ha ha. But, it's is bluetooth enabled." But wait, can you get out of BRP connect and change it then go back to BRP efficiently???

I have a recteq and I notice that most people on those forums love to make it rain also. I'm not one of those guys. Just because I own a Spyder doesn't mean I have unlimited money. Of course, the answer back will be, "THEN, DON'T BUY IT". Your correct, I won't. But I was on the fence for this device. It has great reviews from most all who have it. If it was priced around 230, maybe. But to not be water proof is absolutely ridiculous and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that no one complains about that.

My two cents which are probably worth 1/20th of a cent just like a coupon.

Happy Riding. I'm saving my money for gas ;-)

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Thanks for the correction
    Wasn't trying to be an arse. And, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    "I've got an idea. I'm going to make a simple throttle curve selector for a vehicle that is not enclosed and designed to operate during most weather conditions. Then, I'm going to charge 300 big ones for it and.......get this, charge another 50 for a mount. One more catch, I'm not going to make it water proof. ha ha ha ha ha. But, it's is bluetooth enabled." But wait, can you get out of BRP connect and change it then go back to BRP efficiently???

I have a recteq and I notice that most people on those forums love to make it rain also. I'm not one of those guys. Just because I own a Spyder doesn't mean I have unlimited money. Of course, the answer back will be, "THEN, DON'T BUY IT". Your correct, I won't. But I was on the fence for this device. It has great reviews from most all who have it. If it was priced around 230, maybe. But to not be water proof is absolutely ridiculous and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that no one complains about that.

My two cents which are probably worth 1/20th of a cent just like a coupon.

Happy Riding. I'm saving my money for gas ;-)

Steve
    You should go out and ride.

Spyder Garage

Wasn't trying to be an arse. And, you're welcome.

You should go out and ride.
    Hence, my last line "saving money for gas"
    2020 RT , Chalk White