Spyder Garage

Default Gold plugs, which sockets?

I’m going to be doing an oil change and ordering gold plugs. I have not received the plugs yet. Those of you using gold plugs or dimples, what type of sockets do you prefer? ( shallow socket with a 3 inch extension or a deep socket) Previously, I used my long handle 1/4 drive snap on ratchet with a torx and hex socket bit. The bit stuck up far enough into the recessed area and gave space for holding the ratchet. I prefer 7.5x1/4 drive ratchet so it just snugs and 1/4 turn instead of torque wrench. Standard shallow sockets don’t allow fingers to hold ratchet. So do you use a shallow and standard extension (not wobble) or deep?

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    I’m going to be doing an oil change and ordering gold plugs. I have not received the plugs yet. Those of you using gold plugs or dimples, what type of sockets do you prefer? ( shallow socket with a 3 inch extension or a deep socket) Previously, I used my long handle 1/4 drive snap on ratchet with a torx and hex socket bit. The bit stuck up far enough into the recessed area and gave space for holding the ratchet. I prefer 7.5x1/4 drive ratchet so it just snugs and 1/4 turn instead of torque wrench. Standard shallow sockets don’t allow fingers to hold ratchet. So do you use a shallow and standard extension (not wobble) or deep?
    What ever combo you decide to use .... remember to tap / rap the socket moderately to Break the varnish seal on the threads ..... makes removal soooo much easier ..... and I ALWAYS set my ratchet before I use it ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes I agree. Another reason I like the idea of the gold vs Oem. Even though I have snap on bits, I hate smacking them. The ratchet no problem doing it. Sockets no problem rapping them either. Here’s why I asked. Shallow and extension could create stress on bolt since it rocks as it comes out vs deep keeps the ratchet straight.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

If you have a Dremel tool use it to open up the holes around the 2 drain plugs. Makes it all SOOOO much easier and less messy.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

OK, I'm confused. Where are the holes that you open up?
    Thanks.
    BTW my father worked for SnapOn for 19 yrs and I don't own any of their tools.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave, The holes ( on the RT) are the holes for the 2 drain plugs in the plastic undercarriage. They are JUST large enough for the OEM drain plugs to come out. Tight fit for the Gold plugs with a socket. Soooo opening up the hole at the drain plug really helps. Makes her job a bit less messy also.
    Did you get you new ryde yet?????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The new ride has yet to be delivered.
    I have the phone in my pocket waiting for a call from the delivery driver.
    Hope the F3 is here by the weekend.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack