Spyder Garage

Default Loading your Spyder up a steep ramp?

What have some of you done in order to load your Spyders into a RV with a steep ramp?

Spyder Garage

We have a bumper pull toy hauler, it's not as tall as a 5th wheel so the ramp is short, therefore steep. It also doesn't have a dovetail. I put rv support jacks under the door to lessen the approach angle of the ramp so the Spyder doesn't high center going into the garage area. To get the trike onto the rear door ramp I use a set of motorcycle ride-up loading ramps I've had for years. Because the nose of the RTL is very low and in front of the wheels, I had to get another set of ramps to lift the front before the nose hit the middle ramp. Ratchet straps from the bumper to the ramp keep them from moving when loading and any unpleasant dropping of the trike. The ramps ride in the bed of the truck. There is room in the trailer to put the ramps while traveling, but but putting them in the bed is easier for me. The tamps are stored under the rig while in camp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    What have some of you done in order to load your Spyders into a RV with a steep ramp?
    I have some pics in an Album ( see bio page ) .... the ramps are 10 ft. each .... it rises to 32 +/- inches ..... the center ramp has a 10 ft. long " cheese grater " screwed to the surface .... I have slowly driven up that ramp in the Pouring rain .... I use some 26 ga. galvanized sheet metal and using a large nail ( what they normally use in house construction ) and after marking a pattern, I just punched holes in it ..... reversed it when I screwed it down ..... folks here have seen me load it at various Spyder events and are surprised at how much traction I have ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

For us it isn't the traction that is a problem, it is the angle of the ramp - without the extra ramps and jacks as in my post above the nose of the RTL hits the ramp, and the Spyder gets high centered going into the garage.

I ran into a camper that had traction problem with his Spyder up the ramp, as he had to back up because the garage was too narrow for the wheel width with his slide in. He used an electric winch from Harbor Freight to pull the trike up backwards. The weight transfers off the rear wheel when going up a ramp backwards, and he said unless he got a run at it is couldn't get up the ramp without the wheel spinning.
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

On my 2016 Spyder RT, one can’t drive it straight on to the trailer because the bottom of the nose will hit the middle of the ramp. So we back it on which works great with no scrapes.

Spyder Garage

I put a 2x4 in front of the front wheels. The wheels go up on the board before the front hits.

Spyder Garage

Default Loading spyder

As anyone ever used a winch to put their Spyder into there toy hauler backwards. My ramp is to steep to use its power to put it in by backing.

Spyder Garage

if your ramp is too steep, then your taking your Spyder's life in your hands by trying to force it on. there is something on bottom, don't know if its F3 or RT, that has to do with reverse function i believe that you can scrap and bend and damage. I WOULD'NT APPROACH THIS TYPE OF ARRANGEMENT.
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Depending on the height and length of trailer here’s an easy solution with “NO” ramp. I have 2 toy haulers and a snowmobile deck over trailer. My fusion fifth wheel is no problem. My work and play toy hauler is a problem. My snowmobile trailer is a problem. Simply take 3 or 4 2x8 boards and screw them together. The bottom one is 18 inches. Second 16, third 14 and the top 12. WITH THE TRAILER ATTACHED TO THE TRUCK, put these blocks in front of your rear truck wheels. Now drive up onto the blocks. The rear of the truck is now 6 inches off the ground hence lowering the back of the trailer by 6 inches or so. Your ramp will now be flatter for the approach. I use these blocks all the time. Many times we’ll run and take the toy hauler. Simply unload the spyder on the road or in parking lot and cruise the aree. Many roads are lots are sloped so I have to do it with the fusion even at times. It takes 30 seconds to set the blocks, drive up and unload, load back up and pull off blocks. Put away and keep going. It’s so much better than using tongue cranks or jacks

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lmadsen View Post
    As anyone ever used a winch to put their Spyder into there toy hauler backwards. My ramp is to steep to use its power to put it in by backing.
    Does the Spyder hit the edge of the ramp, or just spin the wheel due to lack of traction because of weight transfer?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's what I did to load my Spyder on a trailer. It might give you some ideas for you RV issue. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=trailer+ramp

I pulled the RT onto the trailer with a winch. The rear tire didn't track straight in the middle so I had to move the rear sideways a little bit as I pulled it in. One advantage of this approach is you would be able to use the RV ramp for the rear wheel and just need additional ramps for the front wheels. Also, as you pull it in the Spyder tends to stay somewhat level so it won't catch on the underside.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As in my post (#2 above) there are 2 entry problems with our short, steep ramp. First is the trike is so low, and the nose is in front of the wheels. The front of the RTL hit the ramp even before the front wheels touched it. Effectively, we had to lengthen the ramps to lessen the approach angle. Second is the Spyder would high-center going from the door/ramp into the body of the rig because of the acute angle of the ramp. I had to lift the ground end of the ramp a bit more than 2' to prevent the Spyder from hitting the underside in the middle as I tried to get into the rig.

Every rig is a bit different, every solution above worked for that situation. There is no single right way. One of them, or a combination of the suggestions, or what you come up with yourself will be correct in your individual situation.

Spyder Garage

The obvious answer is reduce the ramp angle. So, find a ditch to back up to, build extensions for the ramp, drive the front wheels of the RV up onto something, build/buy a longer ramp, etc....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You have to kind of take a run at it when backing on. You only need about 3 feet just to get the momentum going

Spyder Garage

Raise the front of the trailer, either by using the tongue jack or by backing the truck up onto oil change ramps. it's worked for me several times.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black