Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice please on 2021 RT options

I'm getting closer to my first Spyder RT purchase and wanted opinions on options for the order. Probably going with the RT vs RTL as most riding is solo. I don't believe from opinions here that the self leveling rear suspension on the RTL would benefit a single rider that much? First long distance trip would be from KC to CO to Flagstaff in June or July as an example of my riding intentions. That would be about 2,300 mile round trip.

My thoughts so far: 2021 RT model, BRP rider back rest, Auxillary light, front signature light, maybe side wind deflectors?, probably don't need LINQ additional storage for now, probably don't need heated seat, will probably use available power outlets for Zumo XT. I generally keep my phone in riding jacket and check it on breaks (phone and drink holders would be considerations), I do not use helmet receivers. Lamonster Big Eye mirror or similar might be a consideration? I do not know yet if stock handlebars will allow me to lean against backrest. I am 5'10" and fairly long arms. I do know I need to assure a lazer balance of wheels.

Looking for advice on what you might suggest in lieu of or in addition to my ideas? Prior to the Flagstaff trip I will probably have several thousand miles on the machine and have gathered other ideas about accessories. I've been reading this forum for some time and while I don't have a Spyder yet I feel like I know a bit from your postings, youtube and BRP website. I have a little while to consider. Thanks for ideas.

Spyder Garage

So long distance traveler, I would go with the RT-L just for the extra storage! RT-L most likely will bring a lot more resale value and be easier to sell when the time comes. Dirt laundry bag could ride securely(bungee from rear handle to rear handle) in the two up seat. Intercom in your helmet for turn by turn navigation from Smart Phone or GPS. The Freedconn TCOM BV is cheap for a single helmet and you could load music on your phone to help pass the road miles. I just installed one in my one up helmet. Two up helmets have Cardo Scala Q3 units, however DW's health is limited her riding distance/endurance. With the one up helmet I ride with with a friend with a same year RT-L and we did a test ride with trike to trike coms. He had bought a helmet that had included Freedconn intercom built in. Music sounds find and Google maps nav comes through fine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

You have a great list of options. With that many, you should get a great discount on them and perhaps free or near free installation. Options are one of those items that there is a lot of room to dicker and deal on. When added to a new bike purchase, you cannot go wrong if your careful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'd go with the adjustable vents (deflectors) for sure. The wind protection on the RT is so good it can get stifling in the heat. I'm a solo rider and I am quite happy with my RT(not L).
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Good comments so far. You make a point with resale on the L but I would end up taking the seat off 98% of the time as I think there is enough storage for a single rider. Otherwise I would go with the LinQ and the semi rigid bag for a cleaner look. On the wind deflectors is the purpose to give you more airflow or less? I was thinking they would reduce air flow and wind but maybe its the other way around? I like to ride with my face shield up most of time and a minimum of turbulence to head and chest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Good comments so far. You make a point with resale on the L but I would end up taking the seat off 98% of the time as I think there is enough storage for a single rider. Otherwise I would go with the LinQ and the semi rigid bag for a cleaner look. On the wind deflectors is the purpose to give you more airflow or less? I was thinking they would reduce air flow and wind but maybe its the other way around? I like to ride with my face shield up most of time and a minimum of turbulence to head and chest.
    The cockpit air is very still and quiet with the stock fixed deflectors. The console actually gathers dust while going down the road. When it's hot, you'll appreciate being able to allow a bit of air into the riding pocket with the adjustable deflectors. Air protection is better than a Windjammer and lowers if you can relate to that measure.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

I'm also a solo long distance rider. Next run is NJ - Yellowstone and parts in between.

The 2020 base RT gives me more than enough storage for multi-week runs. I don't camp so emergency tools, spare riding gear, and off-bike clothes fit with left over space. For the difference in cost between the base & limited I added the swaybar, tires, laser, elkas, backrest, kott, PC, and soon a PV3. Resale value is not a criteria when I shop.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm also a solo long distance rider. Next run is NJ - Yellowstone and parts in between.

The 2020 base RT gives me more than enough storage for multi-week runs. I don't camp so emergency tools, spare riding gear, and off-bike clothes fit with left over space. For the difference in cost between the base & limited I added the swaybar, tires, laser, elkas, backrest, kott, PC, and soon a PV3. Resale value is not a criteria when I shop.
    laser? I'd like to vaporize some cars... Seriously, what's the laser for?
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post

Ummm.... aligning the wheels maybe?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm getting closer to my first Spyder RT purchase and wanted opinions on options for the order. Probably going with the RT vs RTL as most riding is solo. I don't believe from opinions here that the self leveling rear suspension on the RTL would benefit a single rider that much?
    I have a 2021 RT base as I ride solo 104% of the time. Assuming you're riding solo and keeping the weight about the same most of the time, the ONLY drawback to not having the self adjusting suspension is that you have to check the air on the air bag every few days and occasionally add a bit of air. The stock Schrader valve was placed is a poor location. Quite a few of us base model riders have added a short extension from Amazon. It puts the new Schrader valve in a perfect spot.

My thoughts so far: 2021 RT model, BRP rider back rest, Auxillary light, front signature light, maybe side wind deflectors?, probably don't need LINQ additional storage for now, probably don't need heated seat, will probably use available power outlets for Zumo XT. Lamonster Big Eye mirror or similar might be a consideration? I do not know yet if stock handlebars will allow me to lean against backrest. I am 5'10" and fairly long arms.
    Personally, I'd opt for a Utopia backrest. I've had (3) so far, one on my 2012 Victory Vision, one on my 2018 RT Limited and one on my current 2021 RT base. The Utopia is about 1/2 the cost of the BuRP version and works VERY well.

I have the adjustable upper and lower wind deflectors. The uppers make a little bit of a difference but the lowers make a huge difference. $200 for the set of (4) and simple to install. Well worth the money. As ButterSmooth said in the next post, due to the redesigned fairing, you don't get a lot of air flow. If you have the scratch, you might also consider one of F4 Customs windscreens with the vent. I've got one (well, I've got 2) and they're great.

There's a dedicated power plug for a GPS located under the right side tupperware. If you use this, you'll need to cut the plug off the wires from the bike. NOTE: SOME CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE + AND - BACKWARDS.

Stock handlebars may or may not work for you. There are a LOT of options. Any F3 handlebar will work (with the exception of the drag bars). There's also Lamonsters 2" riser and the Helibars. I went through (3) different bars before I bit the bullet and spent the money on the Helibars. They're expensive but IMHO well worth it. With various stock bars, I had trouble seeing the mirrors well. With the Helibars, I can see out of the mirrors just fine.

There's a difference between the Auxillary light and the Signature lightS. The Auxillary light is a single fog/driving light bar that fits nicely in the slot at the bottom front of the fairing. The Signature lightS are a pair of "eyebrow" lights that mount in the beltline on the front. The Auxillary light lights up the road well. The Signature lights just look cool.

If you find you need extra storage at some point, you can either buy the OEM top case (for $2049) OR you can buy the LinQ cover/base and the Shad SH58X top case and bolt them together. A couple of us have done that. Not quite the integrated look as the uber expensive top case but works well, looks good and can be done for around $700. (I have a write up on that somewhere on the forums.)

I'd go with the adjustable vents (deflectors) for sure. The wind protection on the RT is so good it can get stifling in the heat. I'm a solo rider and I am quite happy with my RT(not L).
    What "seat" are you going to take off 98% of the time? The base F3 and F3S have a removable passenger seat (I think) and (again, I think) you can put some sort of cover in it's place. ALL RTs (earlier generations, RT/RTL/S2S/etc) have a "fixed" passenger seat. You can remove it but you really can't (and don't want to) ride around without it. The RTs come with non adjustable wind deflectors. The adjustable ones are the bomb. (See my comments above.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2021 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Removed [COLOR="#FF0000"]RED[/COLOR] for enable reading...

Spyder Garage

Laser alignment. Some dealers can do.

Spyder Garage

Reason for signature lights was just more lights up front for daytime visibility in addition to the auxillaries. I thought on the RTL the passenger seat could be removed and the LinQ added. Not an issue with RT anyway, can use LinQ and optional luggage if needed. Great ideas here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reason for signature lights was just more lights up front for daytime visibility in addition to the auxillaries. I thought on the RTL the passenger seat could be removed and the LinQ added. Not an issue with RT anyway, can use LinQ and optional luggage if needed. Great ideas here.
    The LinQ base/cover goes behind the passenger seat. It replaces the color matched cover.

Spyder Garage

Who is the main recommended dealer near Las Vegas? I wanted to rent a Spyder for a day or two and local dealer said he knows a dealer near Vegas that does. I can only do a 30 minute test ride where I'm at. I would of course check prices in Vegas as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who is the main recommended dealer near Las Vegas? I wanted to rent a Spyder for a day or two and local dealer said he knows a dealer near Vegas that does. I can only do a 30 minute test ride where I'm at. I would of course check prices in Vegas as well.
    A 30 minute test ride is probably sufficient and reasonable. They don't want you to rack up the miles on their new bikes. Even if it's a demo, they only have a certain/set amount of miles they're allowed to put on them. I've heard 1000 miles before and generally a salesperson will use a demo as a take home vehicle so it can get some visibility. Within 30 minutes/miles, you should be able to tell if the bike hurts your back/butt/legs/etc.

Spyder Garage

So, I'm back to square one. My dealer can get the RT and also the F3-T which he likes a lot and especially with the optional floor boards and brake extension. I rode a 2019 F3 used for 20 min and the F3 is pretty impressive also. The F3-T has the storage, etc. that I would want. He thinks for what I want the F3 should be considered and I agree. My question is what are your impressions for those who have had or tried both. While some of my driving will be long distance much of it would be local within 300 miles and almost always single.

Maybe I should hop over the F3 thread? Just wondering.

Spyder Garage

Milryder, you have plenty of great advice above. I am looking at the RT for much the same reasons as you, as I also travel solo 95% of the time, and really enjoy the manually adjustable rear bag pressure option on my F3-L......just one less “motor” to break down. I DO need a heated seat as the temp can get down to below 0c on some rides, but as I am a tall lad, I will be getting a custom Daylong seat with heating anyway. I don’t really like the look of the trunk and have an 85litre wheelable bag that sits on the passenger that suits me perfectly.
    Signature lights, Cargo light, chrome trim are not options I need, but I could always add them later. The adjustable wind deflectors WILL be an early option purchase however.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

So, I'm back to square one. My dealer can get the RT and also the F3-T which he likes a lot and especially with the optional floor boards and brake extension. I rode a 2019 F3 used for 20 min and the F3 is pretty impressive also. The F3-T has the storage, etc. that I would want. He thinks for what I want the F3 should be considered and I agree. My question is what are your impressions for those who have had or tried both. While some of my driving will be long distance much of it would be local within 300 miles and almost always single.

Maybe I should hop over the F3 thread? Just wondering.

Milryder, no need to hop over to the F3 thread. Most people check all new posts anyway. I am an F3 Limited rider. I am also about to move to a 20/21 RT. The F3 Limited is a great machine, and I have been very happy with it for 4 years, but it is not quite as refined as the new RT. Yes, you sit lower in it, and it is sporty (especially the F3-S), but I have decided I would like a Spyder with a little more element protection on long rides. The RT can certainly get up and go, especially with an ECM upgrade.
    You will find many people who are VERY happy with their F3 Touring on long trips however. As suggested above, try to get a decent ride on both.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that Peteoz! Everything in a little short supply so probably can't get ride on 20-21 RT for now and with spring season coming here dealer says ordering will get more lengthy.

Spyder Garage

When was the F3-T last updated? The RT of course was 2020. Is maintenance easier on the F3, seems there is less cladding on that machine whereas the RT is fully enclosed? I'm getting quotes on both from iMotorsports and my local dealer. Trade-in on 2020 XMAX 300, another great bike.

Spyder Garage

When was the F3-T last updated? The RT of course was 2020. Is maintenance easier on the F3, seems there is less cladding on that machine whereas the RT is fully enclosed? I'm getting quotes on both from iMotorsports and my local dealer. Trade-in on 2020 XMAX 300, another great bike.
    iMotorsports is a good place to buy from. I bought two of them from iMoto in the last year. PS, I was an RT person, but am very happy with my new F3L's. If you have a trade they will pick it up when they deliver it to your door.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure the F3-T was updated same time as RT, 2020.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the F3T was introduced in 2016. The radio/cluster was updated in 2018 (along with the RT) and the redundant tank mounted audio controls were added in 2020 (along with the new RT). Other than new colors (which don't count as "updates"), I don't think it's ever been "updated". Unless you feel you MUST have the redundant audio controls (and I think they're worthless), I'd look to see if you can find a nice, low mileage 2018-2019 F3T (assuming you decide on that model).

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2020 RTL last fall and I'm looking forward to my first long distance trip on my new machine. I owned a 2013 RT-S for six years and did several long distance trips on it. While there are a few modifications I would suggest for the machine I would put an Intercom system near the top. I own a Cardo system simply because the Spyder riding partner I rode with on many trips already had a Cardo so I went with it but there are a few different solid makes out there. I encourage the Intercom system because even if you do a solo ride, the Intercom will allow you to Bluetooth your music, podcasts, playlists, whatever. You can also receive and send phone calls so any significant other that stays behind can all you at anytime. And, if you ever do ride with a partner you can communicate with them. My Spyder riding buddy and I would talk for hours as the miles passed.

My backrest was the first mod I did on my new bike. The ability to lean back and relax my back extended time in the saddle. On the new bike I went with Lamonster's handlebar risers to give my arms a more relaxed position. On my 2013 I had an Ultimate seat but still used a $20 office chair memory cushion. Every other fill up I would switch out the cushion just to give my rear end different pressure points and again help my saddle time. Think about handlebar RAM mounts for a drink and your phone. It's nice to grab a drink or view your phone's GPS at times. I am still undecided if I'll need highway pegs on my 2020 like I did on my 2013.

As a side note, I like to schedule my trips based on TIME not distance each day. For me, I'm comfortable with 6 hours a day on the bike. I add a couple more travel hours for rest stops, lunch, gas, etc. So, that makes a travel day from 8 am to 4 pm each day. Distance will depend on if I am on Interstates, US Highways or back roads. I view motorcycle trips as a marathon and enjoy each day, not a push simply to get somewhere.

Anyway, keep reading and riding and you will determine what you will need to make your trips a good experience.

Spyder Garage

I've not heard back yet from my dealer or iMotors on prices for the F3-T and the RT but have a question on the options listed for the F3 on the BRP "build" site. It lists auxiliary lights for $534 but no description nor change in the picture. What is a pulley cover for $209, necessary? (I do minor gravel at times), Tall Boy windshield for $394, I do like wind coverage and dealer agrees I would want taller than stock on the F3. A driver backrest is $400, even more than the RT!! Also the brake linkage and driver footboard I want and is self explanatory. Also a signature light for $179?? I do like maximum day time lighting, don't ride at night much (deer country).

When I add these options to the F3-T I come within a $1000 of the RT MSRP with the options I want on that. No opportunity to ride the RT locally to compare to my brief ride on the 2019 F3-L. Still trying to differentiate the differences, main one seems that the RT is a little more robust in a few options, maybe more element protection in weather and wind? I like location of glove box vs the F3. My upright position of my XMAX is upright and no back pain after 5 hrs. Seemed similar on the RT and F3 although the F3 allows more leg forward with adjustable floorboards even more than the RT. Appreciate all the comments. Will come to conclusion I'm sure once I get prices, etc. Dealer expects models to become more scarce as spring progresses.