Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Key or no key that is the question...

Ride all year here but we're in lockdown so the Spyder is getting more time in the garage than usual.

I leave it with the parking brake off (wheels choked) and plenty of fuel (not overfilling it).

Also I leave the key in the ignition... Think I've read somewhere it was recommended but not sure why...

Any one knows why? Or why shouldn't I do it?

Thanks.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Key

I remove my Spyder Key anytime I'm away from it. So for me, I never leave the Key in, especially my Garage.
    That's my .02. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I can't think of any good reason to leave the key in the ignition. But, I can think of at least one good reason to remove it.... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peggy's 2013 STS stays in the ignition any time it's in the garage. Don't have to go locate the key if necessary that way.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I leave the keys in the ignition when the bikes are in the garage. Have had no electrical issues because of it.

We have an attached garage with the main living room on the other side of the wall. And everything is well insured.

Keys in are for garage parking only. When we are out and about, the keys go with us. One reason I never purchased the IPS key set up.

However...one night in Fairbanks AK, at a very busy hotel, we forgot the key in the 2009 GS. It was parked in the front row of the parking lot. The key and the bike were still there in the morning. Don't think I would get away with that in a lot of cities in the lower 48 though...if they could figure out how to start it. Some of them are not to smart.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-01-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Ride all year here but we're in lockdown so the Spyder is getting more time in the garage than usual.

I leave it with the parking brake off (wheels choked) and plenty of fuel (not overfilling it).

Also I leave the key in the ignition... Think I've read somewhere it was recommended but not sure why...

Any one knows why? Or why shouldn't I do it?

Thanks.
    I’ve never heard that you should leave the key in the ignition, even if it is parked in the garage. Too easy for a thief. Mine is ALWAYS parked in the garage (unless I’m on an outing) but is parked in the garage if I’m not riding it. I leave the key in the “key house” along with my car keys and my house key whenever not needed. That way I ALWAYS know where they are. jmho

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I leave the keys in the ignition when the bikes are in the garage. And everything is well insured.
    Are you sure? Have you talked to your insurance broker? Does your Insurance Company know?

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I leave the keys in the ignition when the bikes are in the garage. And everything is well insured.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Are you sure? Have you talked to your insurance broker? Does your Insurance Company know?
    I'm going to side w/bigbadbrucie on this one. Most insurance companies (although maybe not all) have a stipulation that they won't cover a stolen vehicle if the keys are left in it. Maybe there's an exception if it's left in a locked garage. If it were me, I'd check w/the insurance company ASAP. OTOH, it's not my bike nor is my my wallet.

Spyder Garage

The discussion has started.

I knew I would hear from some of you.

I did add an extra two paragraphs after I posted up.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-01-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I leave the key in, in the garage. From what I can measure, there is no current drain. Around here I think the Spyder could be left at the end of the driveway idling overnight, and it would still be there in the morning.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whenever the vehicles are in the garage, the keys are in the ignition. Been doing it that way for 20 years and not going to
    stop now. I figure if somebody is in the garage, they're in the house. No biggie.

Of course I have left the garage door open all night at times, plus left the keys in the ignition in the driveway. Nothing ever
    happened. But I do try not to make that a habit.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I leave the key in, in the garage. From what I can measure, there is no current drain. Around here I think the Spyder could be left at the end of the driveway idling overnight, and it would still be there in the morning.
    I've also measured and there was no current drain. The only time I ever found any current drain was immediately after shut down, and
    it makes that humming noise. When the noise stops the current drain stops.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm going to side w/bigbadbrucie on this one. Most insurance companies (although maybe not all) have a stipulation that they won't cover a stolen vehicle if the keys are left in it. Maybe there's an exception if it's left in a locked garage. If it were me, I'd check w/the insurance company ASAP. OTOH, it's not my bike nor is my my wallet.
    If your Spyder is stolen b/c you left the key in the ignition, would you really tell the insurance company you left the key in the ignition?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Generally the following is true unless your insurance company explicitly states otherwise: "Comprehensive (or Other than Collision) coverage explicitly covers Theft or Larceny, without any “ifs”."

OTOH if they prove you left the key in the car as part of a fraud scheme, i.e. have the car stolen to collect the insurance, then no pay, and possible legal issues.
    Peggy and Howard

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Remove the Key

Seems like a lot of different thoughts about Key in or Removed. As I posted #2, I put my Spyder Key in Safe Place. Insurance Company likes us to to do the Right thing. Your Spyder, do as you wish. Have a great day. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Least cover key with IPS from Lamonster https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...ver-lamonster/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Generally the following is true unless your insurance company explicitly states otherwise: "Comprehensive (or Other than Collision) coverage explicitly covers Theft or Larceny, without any “ifs”."

OTOH if they prove you left the key in the car as part of a fraud scheme, i.e. have the car stolen to collect the insurance, then no pay, and possible legal issues.
    If MY insurance company finds out the key was left in the ignition, they'll deny the claim. How would they know? Well, if the vehicle was recovered (as most are) WITH the key, you can bet the question will be asked. As I stated above, it's not my bike nor my key so I don't really care what others do. I still think it would be wise to check with YOUR insurance company for clarification. You know, or not.

Spyder Garage

"Honest officer. The key was on a hook in the garage. The thief must have found it and took the bike."
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Peggy's 2013 STS stays in the ignition any time it's in the garage.
    As does mine and has been so since Day 1. Garage is always locked.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I’ve heard enough of how honest/dishonest, smart......people think they are. All I was doing was suggesting to check with Insurance, not to hear how dishonest, smarter than the law some people think they are. jmho

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

....back to the OP’s original question...... I leave my key in the ignition when the F3 is at home in the garage and I have not experienced any issues in 5 years, Mako.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just looked at my Geico policy. There is no mention of key in the exclusions section of the comprehensive coverage, which is what covers theft. I leave the key in my Spyder in my garage all the time. But I did notice there is an exclusion for damage caused by freezing. I guess that means I better keep the anti-freeze up to snuff in my vehicles!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just looked at my Geico policy. There is no mention of key in the exclusions section of the comprehensive coverage, which is what covers theft. I leave the key in my Spyder in my garage all the time. But I did notice there is an exclusion for damage caused by freezing. I guess that means I better keep the anti-freeze up to snuff in my vehicles!
    I never would have thought that the insurance would be more interested in having a cracked block than leaving a key in an unattended vehicle. In any case, all the years I had my Spyder, the key was left in the ignition with the IPS, whether in the garage or not. A lot of times I’d just forget it was there.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not that it has bearing on how things are today, but about 18 years ago I had an unlocked Acura stolen from my driveway and subsequently wrecked. The thief found the valet key in the console box. The presence of the key in an unlocked car was never discussed in the claims process.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Please don't get to excited about this thread. Everyone is voicing an opinion and not trying to start an argument.

I consider this thread a harmless discussion. At least were talking to each other.

Regardless, this is just someones opinion and it does not matter what side of the fence your on.

After many years, many of us are not going to change our ways. It's been good for 20 plus years, why change out now. My insurance is good with whatever I do.

And, my house is protected.

2020 F3L , Magma Red