Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer tie down system, strap over tire - any opinions on this system?

I'm picking up a 6x12 utility trailer this weekend and would like some opinions on this tie-down system: https://www.etrailer.com/ATV-UTV-Tie...n/EM09160.html

It looks pretty quick and easy, just wondering if anyone's had experience with it. I'm concerned the straps may slip laterally off the narrow front wheels.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

That's the method pretty much all the 'professional operators' over here who transport VERRY EXPENSIVE &/or unique/special motor vehicles use, and some of the rest of us too and once they've been installed properly, I've NEVER seen or even heard of a properly fitted & tightened strap 'slipping laterally' or any other way for that matter, off of a narrow tire or any other tire!

Put 'em on, tighten 'em down, and you're good to go; the vehicle/bike/whatever is now firmly attached to the trailer bed and will not move! There's nothing likely to mark/damage the shiny wheels, bodywork, or underpinnings in any way, and the vehicle weight/body is still supported by its own wheels & suspension just like it would be when running on the road, so there's no way you'll be damaging the wheels, suspension, alignment, vehicle fittings, internals, &/or any of the instruments & workings either - just don't put a cover over the vehicle (they're invariably flappy ) to thrash the paintwork to death; and don't roll the trailer!

In IMHO, you could do a whole lot worse than using that method/system, even if you don't use exactly that product!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-21-2023 at 05:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post
    I'm picking up a 6x12 utility trailer this weekend and would like some opinions on this tie-down system: https://www.etrailer.com/ATV-UTV-Tie...n/EM09160.html

It looks pretty quick and easy, just wondering if anyone's had experience with it. I'm concerned the straps may slip laterally off the narrow front wheels.
    newdave,

Run the straps on top of the center of the front tires, and lower the tire pressure slightly.

Also, run the strap on the top of the rear tire, and under the bike( so you don't scratch the tupperware) and on top of two front wheels, and secure to the front of you trailer.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Just think a moment what the spyder is gonna do when you have to jump over that blocks, especially in reverse and or after a rain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    Just think a moment what the spyder is gonna do when you have to jump over that blocks, especially in reverse and or after a rain.
    That was one of my concerns as well. I don’t think there will be any problem with the bump going over them, but traction may be a problem when backing out. I’ll probably put some stair tread friction material where the rear tire will rest.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll just use the front chock and put some plain e-track down at the rear of the wheels.

Anyone on here who has actually used these?
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

That’s what I ended up doing. Just used the front chock with a section of etrack behind it. First time the Spyder easily went over the chock, but it took two of us to back it off!
    The Journey IS the Destination
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    That’s what I ended up doing. Just used the front chock with a section of etrack behind it. First time the Spyder easily went over the chock, but it took two of us to back it off!
    Thanks, that is great information. I like to keep experimentation to a minimum.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mandytuning View Post
    That was one of my concerns as well. I don’t think there will be any problem with the bump going over them, but traction may be a problem when backing out. I’ll probably put some stair tread friction material where the rear tire will rest.

If this doesn’t work, I’ll just use the front chock and put some plain e-track down at the rear of the wheels.

I reckon you might be needlessly worrying about this... I don't use the same brand of tie-down system, but it's the same type & concept, and if anything, the rear chocks on mine (which are behind all 3 wheels) are a tad larger/taller for the wheels to reverse over than those shown in the link; and I and AFAIK, none of the other Ozzies I know who are using the same &/or similar systems, have ever had any hassles or the slightest of issues reversing over the rear chocks to get our Spyders off our trailers, not even when the chocks &/or tires have been very wet!!

Mind you, I don't believe any of us over-inflate our tires either, usually running 18 psi or less; nor do we still run Kendas anywhere except on our push-bikes & welding carts, so....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2023 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Clarified the 'for the wheels to reverse over' bit... ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes I have trailered My RTL using the front stops and the e-trailer strips over 1000's of miles with no problem. I also put a strap thru the back tire so it won't bounce around. Works just fine.
    Moparmarty
    2021 Spyder RTL, Chaulk White
    Drivers backrest, brp passenger arm rails, Rls twin kaos muffler,

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have pics of what I did to put my RT into the box on my toypta pk-up ..... for tracton I made a " cheese grater " from 26 Ga. sheet metal.... I could climb a very steep ramp in the rain and the tires didn't slip .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting that you bring this up ..... about 10 years ago I introduced this method to Spyderlovers .... I got the idea from looking at how " U-Haul " instructs folks who rent " car dollies " how to secure the front wheels to the dolly .... and then I saw that " Mecum " vehicle auctioneers, use the same method to secure the Ferrari's & other expensive cars / trucks they transport around the country ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-22-2023 at 09:01 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have e-track on my trailer and tie down all 3 wheels using the over the wheels method with my RTL and never had a problem. I go between PA and FL every year sometime two times a year.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the assurances, everyone. I’ll try installing the full set and see how well it works. If the rear chocks are too much to reverse over I will swap them with plain e-track. It should be an easy change out.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the assurances, everyone. I’ll try installing the full set and see how well it works. If the rear chocks are too much to reverse over I will swap them with plain e-track. It should be an easy change out.
    I have pics in an Album of my Toyota RT Spyder hauler.... I only used two chocks in the front, & that was to stop the Spyder from hitting the front of the box when I drove in. .... No rear chock, and used ONLY one strap, and that was over the rear tire. Drove it back and forth to SpydeFest in Mo. from Vt 5 times ( 3000 +mi. each trip .... never had an issue. ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-23-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Good to know Mike. I should be more than good with three straps, then.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

I have them on my Aluma trailer . Things to check.
    Check the tie down straps on the wheels (tighten them)about an hour or less ( I had one slip off) the straps tend to expand a little. The rear wheel I put a soft strap around the rear wheel then connected the tie down strap to the rear wheel . (The rear wheel may move a little )
    When you remove the bike the rear wheel does not have enough traction. Next time I will install an Etrack behind the front tires to make it easier to unload.

SpyderF3.jpgSpyderF3_2.jpg

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Below is a link to what I think is the BEST over the tire tie down system...They will custom make the exact size wheel nets for your application...larryd

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/s...c+09%2f19%2f23

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Below is a link to what I think is the BEST over the tire tie down system...They will custom make the exact size wheel nets for your application...larryd

I was the first person on this website to use this method ( and have been recommending here since then ) ...... you don't need any fancy webbing to acomplish the same result .... read post # 14 above ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I dunno Larry, I'm with Mike on this one, or even with those who prefer putting a ratchet strap over every tire! From what I can see of that ^^ it's really just a custom-made net that converts the 'ratchet strap over the tire' tie-down system from something that'll pretty much work on any vehicle regardless of its wheel size into something that will ONLY work on wheels of a specified size range....

The cynical part of me suggests that it's probably just a good way for them to take something that's easy, versatile, and relatively cheap for anyone to use with readily available components and turn it into something that'll let them make some money by making it more complex and more restricted in its application...

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-26-2023 at 12:04 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I set my trailer up with e track to fit the front tires of my RT. I loaded a Ryker on it and the front wheels lined up perfectly. A friend needed her RS picked up from the dealer and the front wheels did not center on the e track like the RT and Ryker. I was able to secure it but the wheel net would have been a great solution to that problem.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    I ended up doing this. Did not budge an inch over 800 miles.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

Mine did two round trips for Az to NW Wa. I could see the spyder going up and down on it's suspension separate for the trailers suspension movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I would think that running a strap over the front tires under the fenders would be a pain. I just have 2 rubber (Harbour Freight) wheel chocks to stop the front wheels. These chocks are bolted through the side frame of the trailer. I then run a 2" strap around the front shocks and secure it to eye bolts on the outside of the trailer. These straps are the kind that are made to go over handlebars and hook back into themselves, so the metal strap hook is well away from the shock. For the rear I run a 3" strap over the bikes trailer hitch behind the rear tire secured to eye hooks in the trailer base. Very quick and easy, very secure. Works well, been using this method for years. Trailer is a Triton 1064, 64" wide by 10'.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2023 at 06:57 AM. Reason: threw; ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigcontender View Post
    I would think that running a strap over the front tires under the fenders would be a pain. I just have 2 rubber (Harbour Freight) wheel chocks to stop the front wheels. These chocks are bolted through the side frame of the trailer. I then run a 2" strap around the front shocks and secure it to eye bolts on the outside of the trailer. These straps are the kind that are made to go over handlebars and hook back into themselves, so the metal strap hook is well away from the shock. For the rear I run a 3" strap over the bikes trailer hitch behind the rear tire secured to eye hooks in the trailer base. Very quick and easy, very secure. Works well, been using this method for years. Trailer is a Triton 1064, 64" wide by 10'.
    Actual the fronts are pretty easy, I slide the strap in from the side, not back to front. The rear tire is a bit of a pain. I added side pieces of a nylon cutting board to the rear e-track for the tire to sit on. And the front lower shock bolts have ring nuts. The trike did 1550 mile trips to Wa and back for two seasons, so it was tied down with belts and suspenders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I have an enclosed trailer, love it by the way, I use the hold down on the front right and left side of the trailer inside. I use ratchet straps that go from the flip up hold down in the trailer to the front of the spyder on both sides of the spyder I have the holders bought from one of the spyder parts suppliers to hook the strap to. I do this on both sides. On the back I take a ratchet strap and feed that through the opening of the rear tire and use the flip up hold down from the left and right side to hook onto. simple and takes me about 3 minutes to secure the spyder. love this a bunch. I can lower my back door and drive the spyder on and install the straps in under 5 minutes.