Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried the Pedal Commander plug n play Throttle Controller?

Anyone tried the pedal commander plug n play throttle controller ?
    2020 RTL , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you enter 'Pedal; +Commander' into the search field that's up towards the top left of the page, and click on the 'Search Titles Only' box from the drop down options list, you should get a bunch of threads with a lot of discussion on doing exactly what you are asking about.

The search link below, that's meant to do exactly as mentioned above, may or may not work for you due to the idiosyncrasies of the platform....

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=1978428
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To answer your question directly (although I'd seriously suggest doing what Peter said and search for it), I have one on my 2021 RT. It doesn't increase the horsepower but if "feels" like it does. You know that lag between when you twist the throttle and the bike actually reacts? The Pedal Commander can take all of that out. There are (4) modes (and each mode has (8) settings): Eco, City, Sport and Sport+. Not really sure why anyone would drop $250-$300 on something to make the bike WORSE but it's their money. City mode is approximately the same as stock. (Again, not sure why anyone would spend money to gain nothing.) Sport really wakes the bike up and Sport+ shouldn't be used in traffic. I keep mine in Sport +2 or +3. Sport+, even @ -4 is just too twitchy. Might be good on a race track. You can turn the PC off in case you run into rain or the like. Then you go back to the regular throttle lag. I was at the dealer last week for my 3k mile service and turned it off so he wouldn't overshoot the lift. I forgot to turn it back on when I left, braced myself for impact then got.....nothing. Turned it back on and enjoyed the ride. As I said, it does NOT increase your power, only reducing/eliminating throttle lag. I think it would pair very nicely with a Stage 1 tune for aggressive, every day riding. I'm ordering my tune in a few weeks. Should be a rocket then.

Spyder Garage

hi..i am ready to purchase the pedal commander. but....i seem to be concerned that once installed i will start having code errors. Should I be ? Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. Matt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by volksbugusa View Post
    hi..i am ready to purchase the pedal commander. but....i seem to be concerned that once installed i will start having code errors. Should I be ? Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. Matt
    Matt, from the reports seen here, it appears that Most who fit these things have NO issues, just lotsa fun from the quicker responding throttle action.

Me, I spent my $$ on an ECU Upgrade that gave me a quicker responding throttle AND more power to boot; plus a bunch of extra torque, and it 'fixed' a few other things besides But it's your money & your Spyder - you do what you want.

Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And there are some that have upgraded the ECU AND added the Pedal Commander. I plan to get a Stage 1 next month. I already rock a Pedal Commander so once I'm done, I should be a rocket.

Spyder Garage

I have and love the Pedal Commander and also see a PV3 on the horizon. My concern is rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) with the added power + throttle sensitivity. Is it best to put as much if not all the baggage/tools/etc in the rear and leave the frunk empty?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Just don't change the settings while you are on the throttle, and you shouldn't get any codes. For me, I basically put in in the Sport mode towards the middle and I like the way my throttle reacts, and I leave it alone. I can use my app to change it at any time, and the unit is under the tupperware. It's a lot more comfortable not having to twist the throttle as far to get as much power as I'm looking for, and faster to do. It feels like more power when I'm accelerating, and it's an otherwise more comfortable ride. Most everybody I've seen who has purchased one is happy with their decision.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I have and love the Pedal Commander and also see a PV3 on the horizon. My concern is rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) with the added power + throttle sensitivity. Is it best to put as much if not all the baggage/tools/etc in the rear and leave the frunk empty?
    Don't faff around with trying to vary your rear wheel traction by changing the loading, the Spyder's frame & suspension design is very good at evening that all out regardless of where you put it!

However, you can still fairly significantly increase your Spyder's ability to 'hook-up' as well as its overall traction simply by tossing the OE Spec Kendas & fitting real auto tires with specs to suit your requirements and then running them at a suitable pressures for the load the Spyder places upon it (for most 'normal' auto tires load rated for auto's, that'll probably be around 16-18psi) I've run some reeaaallly 'sticky' track tires (that admittedly wore fairly quickly, albeit while still having better wear rates than the OE black round things ) but you don't have to go to that extreme to get good traction - run at the right pressures, there's also a HEAP of normal auto tires that might not be exactly the same 'nominal size' (ie, the size printed on the sidewall) but are so close in physical dimensions that they are form, fit, & function replacements AND they'll work for most Spyders/Rykers significantly better than the Kendas in all respects; ride, handling, traction, longeviry, puncture resistance, et al!

So don't be too concerned about rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) simply because you've added a Pedal Commander & a PV3, or even if you've gone down the full-on ECU Upgrade path; there's a heap of better tires out there that will help overcome any issues in that respect that you might encounter!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! I'm running Q-5s all around @18 psi, Elka shocks up front, swaybar + alignment and I still can't corner like my sport-touring pals. Nanny shuts me down mid-drift!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter! I'm running Q-5s all around @18 psi, Elka shocks up front, swaybar + alignment and I still can't corner like my sport-touring pals. Nanny shuts me down mid-drift!
    Trying to keep up with your sport-touring pals on a Spyder seems to be an effort in futility. When you're riding with them use your Triumph Trophy, that's what it was built for. I ride with a group/club of Harleys and they've been impressed that I can keep up with them in the twisties, but it's a lot of work on a Spyder compared to riding my 2014 Triumph Trophy or any 2-wheeler for that matter.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I run BOTH the Pedal Commander and a Stage II ECU Tune. As well as a RLS cat delete with no baffles..it's a whole new bike. The upgrades was worth every penny...

Spyder Garage

Question..do you have an ELKA shock in the rear?...if not....install one... that will increase your handling performance in the canyons..

Spyder Garage

Question..do you have an ELKA shock in the rear?...if not....install one... that will increase your handling performance in the canyons..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 308gunner View Post
    Next!

Spyder Garage

Peter i finally purchased the unit today...should have it in about two weeks . Unless Sling ships it out early next week...Thank You

Spyder Garage

Does the Pedal Commander affect the BRP warranty?
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

Probably up to the dealer you use. It's a simple removal if you need to bring it in. It plugs in between the bike socket and the oem cable. Just unplug it and re-connect the oem cable to the socket. Sits under the right side panel.

Spyder Garage

I purchased a unit last winter when they were on sale. Finally got around to install a few days ago. Put the unit under the plastic and use my phone app to change it. Install was a breeze except I could not get blue tooth to sync up. Finally deleted and reloaded app and it works fine. My impression is that it adds a lot of snap to my ride. I know that it does not add HP, but the extra "go" seems like it does. I also have a CAT delete pipe installed. No codes or any problems. Been raining ever since so no extended rides yet. (2018 RTL)