Thread: Mounting Tips

Spyder Garage

Question Mounting Tips

Hello,

I picked up a 2019 Ryker Rally back in November for a price I couldn't pass on. Unfortunately, I have MS and mounting the Ryker is very tough if not impossible on some days. Does anyone have any tips for mounting a Ryker or a Spyder from a standing position?

I have reduced leg strength and spasticity that keeps me from bending my right knee when I try to mount from the left side of the Ryker. My right leg is too weak to properly support me if I try to mount from the right side of the Ryker.

When I bought the Ryker, I had the thought in the back of my mind that I may need to sell if riding was beyond my abilities. I would hate to do so since I had hoped to get a little fun back in my life with the Ryker. I appreciate any ideas anyone may have.

-Boone

Spyder Garage

Hopefully, I read your description correct.

Try to mount from the LEFT side. Put the left foot on the footrest/pedal and pull yourself up to standing by using the handlebars. When standing upright, grab the right leg with your hand and lift it up and over the seat. Front or back lift over, whatever works best for you. When I had a bad hip, this was the method I used.

Now I have a fixed hip but much weakness in my LEFT leg. I have to do the mounting now from the RIGHT side.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have limited mobility. When mounting, I always put my left foot on the left foot peg and stand up with my hands on both handle bars. I then swing my right leg behind me over the seat to the right foot peg and then sit down. You are to be admired for your determination. Good luck and I hope you find a solution that works for you..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I too have a similar problem since most of my left leg is titanium. I found taking my time is key. I have to think it through each time as my strength varies each day. Riders like us have to think a little more and adapt. Hey, we are tougher than most

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will have to give them a try. I think standing on the left peg then grabbing my right leg and swinging it over will get me where I need to be. I keep trying to use that same muscle memory from riding 2 wheel vehicles but things are different now. I'll be sure to report back.

Spyder Garage

Some good suggestions there, but they all rely on you standing on one leg for at least a moment or two....

These days, after years of doing anything & everything that life threw at me & picking up a bit of collateral damage along the way, I find I'm left with a 'strength, control, & stability problem' that is frequently described as being somewhat akin to MS (but at least my issues are not likely to get progressively worse!) Still, I find there are times that standing on one leg for even just an instant can be an issue and I generally won't know if it's going to be a problem until I try to lift my other foot, and then maybe not actually recognising that I'm on the ugly way to the ground until it jumps up & hits me in the face!! (So yeah, even just walking can be a real issue at times, and I've hadta re-learn how to do that... usually with one, but at times it takes two sticks!! ) Once I'm seated & have established an 'up', I'm fine, so I can still ride, drive, & fly with the best of them; but jumping outta perfectly good aircraft at any altitude is a bit problematic, & unless I have a clear line of sight to something solid & suitable to clearly establish my 'up', any submerged activities or operating in low/no light conditions is usually a foray into sudden & unexpected disorientation & a whole new world of pain!!

Anyhow, because of this concern, I've learnt to get astride my Spyder (and it's an RT at that, so there's these little things called a trunk & the panniers to get in the way too! ) by backing up to it & planting my butt on the seat FIRST, then (depending upon which way I'm facing ) swinging whichever leg I need to over the seat or the 'tank'...... and it's a HELLUVA lot easier and a whole lot less embarrassing to do it that way than it is to try propping myself on one leg & lifting the other in either direction, only to find that somewhere in that process I've lost my 'up' or my grounded leg's given way & I've toppled (usually suddenly & invariably painfully) onto the ground... sometimes even going right over the Spyder!

So maybe you too could look at planting your butt FIRST, then arranging your legs as necessary. It might not LOOK all that graceful or 'appropriate'; but hey, it's a helluva lot less difficult than most would expect, and it's waaaayyy less painful &/or embarrassing than ending up leaking some essential claret all over the ground before the paramedics arrive to stop the bleeding & splint the broken bones!

There's more'n one way to skin a cat, AND to get onto a Spyder/Ryker!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Hello,

I picked up a 2019 Ryker Rally back in November for a price I couldn't pass on. Unfortunately, I have MS and mounting the Ryker is very tough if not impossible on some days. Does anyone have any tips for mounting a Ryker or a Spyder from a standing position?

I have reduced leg strength and spasticity that keeps me from bending my right knee when I try to mount from the left side of the Ryker. My right leg is too weak to properly support me if I try to mount from the right side of the Ryker.

When I bought the Ryker, I had the thought in the back of my mind that I may need to sell if riding was beyond my abilities. I would hate to do so since I had hoped to get a little fun back in my life with the Ryker. I appreciate any ideas anyone may have.

-Boone
    try this approach...

Posted this previously on another forum but it probably belongs here.
    https://youtu.be/hRdcFFq8E5I

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the additional suggestions. This gives me a few different techniques to try.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will have to give them a try. I think standing on the left peg then grabbing my right leg and swinging it over will get me where I need to be. I keep trying to use that same muscle memory from riding 2 wheel vehicles but things are different now. I'll be sure to report back.
    Glad we could be of some help. Even with a "weaker" leg, the handlebar grab is similar to using a walker. Gives enough stability for the step 2 (leg swing or leg assist). And the good thing, that Ryker is not going to fall out from under you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think this is the best, as you don't have to throw anything any where,
    ~Sandee~

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyrick View Post
    try this approach...
    Posted this previously on another forum but it probably belongs here.
    https://youtu.be/hRdcFFq8E5I

Pennyrick

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

I tried different techniques. Backing up to the seat and sitting down to throw my right leg over was a no go because the seat on the Ryker sits much lower compared to the top of the fuel tank versus what I see in pictures of Spyders.

The step method shown in the video won't work for me because I cannot lift my right leg enough to do the 3rd step in the video.

Standing on the left peg while gripping the handlebars seems to offer the most promise. I didn't nail it today but I should be able to with more practice, some stretching and additional exercise.

Spyder Garage

I tried different techniques...
    Standing on the left peg while gripping the handlebars seems to offer the most promise.
    Hats off to you! you seemed to have narrowed in on something that might work!!

After watching some Ryker videos, I see how much the profile differs (from a Spyder) for the fueltank. Makes sense now.

Sounds like having slightly more height —either by way of ? a higher mounted pedal maybe, or? Small Footstool next to the bike? might be of help. Just ideas.

The higher you are over the Ryker, the easier (hopefully) throwing your straightened rightleg over the Ryker’s rear “should” be, is my guess.

Please keep us posted! And good luck with the stretches!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-10-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixed color display
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come