Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Not good for me because I am now done with two-wheeling.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sure, with Harley's reputation for reliability, I'll sure head out into the boonies with one.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Sure, with Harley's reputation for reliability, I'll sure head out into the boonies with one.
    The thought also crossed my mind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thinking that around the world that more people put millions of more miles on a H-D than any other motorcycle.. If the Pan America is successful, that will only go up ....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That seems unlikely really. Considering the number of Japanese bikes out there, and the millions of bikes being ridden in Asia that are in
    no way Harley's, seems very unlikely that Harley's numbers of miles is higher. And look at all the Harley's out there that are 10 years old
    and have less than 1000 miles/year.

As far as big, heavy adventure bikes go, I still haven't figured that market out. I rode dirt bikes for years and they were all lightweight so
    you could pick them up when, not if, you dropped it. How do people figure on picking up an 600 lb. motorcycle on an offside hill? Maybe
    that's why you usually see most of them all clean and shiny on asphalt roads?
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Impressive for a Harley, 150hp would blow the doorag off.
    Still can't understand axing the V Rod which wasn't a ''proper'' Harley and now claiming this is. Different category I suppose but desperate times call for desperate measures.
    I never did get these things almost as if bigger is better but we all know they would be the most useless thing in an offroad situation that would be far better suited to something half the weight with less crap to go wrong.
    Sell the image is HD's forte so I guess this class has a fair old dose of that about it.
    Good luck HD, but I think it will be a miracle if this is your saviour.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

C'mon. Give The Motor Company a break. The only unreliable vehicles they've ever sold were the 2 and 3 wheeled ones.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    c'mon. Give the motor company a break. The only unreliable vehicles they've ever sold were the 2 and 3 wheeled ones.
    lol
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As far as big, heavy adventure bikes go, I still haven't figured that market out. I rode dirt bikes for years and they were all lightweight so
    you could pick them up when, not if, you dropped it. How do people figure on picking up an 600 lb. motorcycle on an offside hill? Maybe
    that's why you usually see most of them all clean and shiny on asphalt roads?
    Are you maybe confusing adventure bikes with dirt and trail bikes? It's my understanding adventure bikes are intended to be ridden on roads and improved trails, not through the brush and over rocks like trail bikes. Except for its width the Ryker probably would qualify as an adventure bike, but it's certainly not a dirt bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Harley needed something fresh. I sure hope this is the first of many new products from them that are fresh and relevant to the motorcycle crowd. Personally, I’m not a Harley Davidson guy, but I want them to succeed as much as I want the whole industry to succeed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you maybe confusing adventure bikes with dirt and trail bikes? It's my understanding adventure bikes are intended to be ridden on roads and improved trails, not through the brush and over rocks like trail bikes. Except for its width the Ryker probably would qualify as an adventure bike, but it's certainly not a dirt bike.
    No. The ad for the Harley "adventure" bike is a prime example of the breed. It shows Jason Mamoa doing some serious off-roading, not just fire
    roads and broken pavement. But then he could probably pick it up and curl it. Check out the video.

When we were riding in Spain some years back two of the guys rented the big BMW "adventure" style bikes. One guy
    was at least 6'2 and he could not put both feet on the ground. He hst some diesel at a round-a-bout and went down. It took two of us struggling
    to pick that thing back up.
    Peggy and Howard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

According to Consumer Reports, the Can-Am brand has a 42% failure rate after four years. This makes their motorcycles among the least reliable brands. Most of the reliability issues seem to be with manufacturer quality control, and there is really no single identified problems, but many different ones. Their models utilize more complex engineering, which may contribute to reliability issues. I ride harleys and spyders. people on here just always want to badh harleys

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It shows Jason Mamoa doing some serious off-roading, not just fire roads and broken pavement.
    I guess we see things differently! The only serious and almost rugged off-roading I saw in the video was the trek down the below grade dry river bed. All the rest of the off-road was hardly any different from smooth mountain trails I ride an ATV on! All that ground they rode the HDs on would be child's play for dirt and trail bikes. The most common similarity between what they took the HDs on and what trail bikes are made for is the dust they kicked up! But I'll admit, if the rider ain't careful he could easily put the bike down by losing traction on turns. But if a 90 lb women can pick up a Goldwing anyone tough enough to go across the desert should be able to easily pick up a 500 lb bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I'm not a off road bike rider but I give HD a thumbs up for introducing new types of bikes for consumers. I've had many different HD models over the years and was never left stranded or experienced a breakdown. Like everything with an engine - PM is the key. Will keep my 2 wheeler until I don't feel safe on one anymore. When I was shopping for a 3 wheeler, the Spyder hands down gets my vote over any other other 3Wheeler on the market. The looks and design of their 2-1 design is the way to go.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I love off roading and did plenty of true dirt biking up until like 15 years ago.These adventure bikes are not even close to a true dirt bike,they are geared more towards the type of person who would like to ride a couple hundred miles and then cruise around some fire trails in a state forest.They are capable of much more than most would believe as evidenced by the videos of good riders pushing these bikes hard.I would love a bike like this and the fact that its built by Harley doesnt bother me at all.Harleys demographic is shrinking and they are trying to stay afloat in a tough market.When they start putting this engine in their touring bikes youre gonna see some very fast cruisers that are going to get more people into the showrooms.BMW has a big heavy adv bike that they sell a lot of and they make smaller versions also and so do other manufacturers.If they downsized this engine to maybe a 750 it would still have like 80 hp and the bike could weigh maybe 400lbs.At that level I think they could generate even more interest.This is the bike that Ian and Charley should have ridden instead of the electric bikes.I also think that in less than 10 years we will be seeing a fair amount of electric bikes on the market that will have overcome the whole charging/range problem,sorry its just the wave of the future.Ok start bashing me.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I love off roading and did plenty of true dirt biking up until like 15 years ago.These adventure bikes are not even close to a true dirt bike,they are geared more towards the type of person who would like to ride a couple hundred miles and then cruise around some fire trails in a state forest.They are capable of much more than most would believe as evidenced by the videos of good riders pushing these bikes hard.I would love a bike like this and the fact that its built by Harley doesnt bother me at all.Harleys demographic is shrinking and they are trying to stay afloat in a tough market.When they start putting this engine in their touring bikes youre gonna see some very fast cruisers that are going to get more people into the showrooms.BMW has a big heavy adv bike that they sell a lot of and they make smaller versions also and so do other manufacturers.If they downsized this engine to maybe a 750 it would still have like 80 hp and the bike could weigh maybe 400lbs.At that level I think they could generate even more interest.This is the bike that Ian and Charley should have ridden instead of the electric bikes.I also think that in less than 10 years we will be seeing a fair amount of electric bikes on the market that will have overcome the whole charging/range problem,sorry its just the wave of the future.Ok start bashing me.
    I agree with you totally. I am not an electric car or bike person. But that is going to be what attracts a new and younger generation (my daughter reminds me of that all the time). This will just open the doors to a whole new group of riders, just like the electric bikes. To me, I will always be a gas head. And don't get me started with what ford is doing to the name mustang, with this whole electric SUV vehicle. If it was a hybrid, and they gave it another name, I could get onboard. But they messed with my name brand, and I cannot forgive them for that.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    According to Consumer Reports, the Can-Am brand has a 42% failure rate after four years. This makes their motorcycles among the least reliable brands. Most of the reliability issues seem to be with manufacturer quality control, and there is really no single identified problems, but many different ones. Their models utilize more complex engineering, which may contribute to reliability issues. I ride harleys and spyders. people on here just always want to badh harleys
    Glad that I am in the other 58%.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As an ex adventure rider I still keep up with the segment. Response on the adventure forums is that the bike with regards to specs matches up nicely with its competition. Whether it can over come the general malaise at “The Motor Company” and its continually shifting HQ strategies will be the issue.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I agree with you totally. I am not an electric car or bike person. But that is going to be what attracts a new and younger generation (my daughter reminds me of that all the time). This will just open the doors to a whole new group of riders, just like the electric bikes. To me, I will always be a gas head. And don't get me started with what ford is doing to the name mustang, with this whole electric SUV vehicle. If it was a hybrid, and they gave it another name, I could get onboard. But they messed with my name brand, and I cannot forgive them for that.
    Have you been following what Porsche and others are doing with E fuels, it aint over till they ban spark plugs.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...20in%20theory.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Until last year, I also owned both a H-D and Spyder. I sold my 2009 FLHT (bought new) to a buddy. In my ownership, I put on approx. 40K miles and required nothing more than routine maintenance (and one recall). Not a ton of miles, but I also owned multiple bikes in addition to. As of now, I have about 9K miles on the Spyder and, as should be expected, only has required routine maintenance. I do see a large amount of Spyder owners here buying extended warranties for their machines. I have until Aug.29 to decide on that, but I never bought one for my H-D.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue