Spyder Garage

Default Air ride bladder losing air pressure - help?

Was just cleaning up my 2018 F3T and was airing up the ride bladder. I would put about 40 psi and check the pressure every minute and it seems that I was losing pressure rather quickly. Anyone else had problems with it? Does it need to be replaced? I did change the piston inside of the stem, don’t know what it is called.
    2018 Spyder F3T , Bright White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is an incredibly small amount of air in the system. Very little volume. Every time you check pressure you can lose 2#. Plus it is sensitive to ambient temperature swings also. Put some air in it - like 40 to 50# - check the pressure then and check it 24 hours later. If it is within a couple of pounds you're good. If not - for instance if it is way low or 0 - it could very well be just a leak at one of the fittings and not the bag itself. You can find leaks with soapy water. My sense is that you're ok. It's just the normal loss caused by checking it. And remember, just like a tire, you'll need to add air occasionally.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Only remember, if your system is the 'automatic' system, rather than the 'only manual fill' system, then it doesn't really matter how much air you put in there, the moment you start ryding, the 'automatic ride levelling' system will adjust the pressure to achieve whatever your particular machine's ride height has been set at!!

So with the automatic system, if you add more air pressure than is necessary to maintain that pre-set ride height, the system will dump air; but if you haven't put in enough air pressure, then the system will add air to achieve that pre-set ride height; and it'll keep on adjusting the air bag pressure up &/or down as you ride & the distance/relationship between the frame & the swingarm varies as you move around on the seat or the load changes, you hit a bump, or a dip in the road etc!!

Ps: see the pic below - that air bag doesn't even hold a litre of air!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2021 at 07:21 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have a 16 F3T and mine kept dropping to 0. I was very frustrated. Turned out it was the air valve. My mechanic quickly unscrewed it, slapped a new one in and no issues from that point going forward.

Spyder Garage

2020 F3-T losing pressure to zero in 24 hours. Checked valve, it was okay. Dealer replaced bladder and all parts under warranty. Seems like a perpetual problem.

Spyder Garage

I don't like the pushlock air fittings that they use on the suspension bits. I had a 2013 RT that I bought brand new and the suspension leaked down overnight. I took the air bag out and dunked it underwater, the leak was in the 90 degree pushlock fitting at the top of the bag. I replaced it with a compress align style fitting and no more leak. I use the pushlock fittings where they are accessible but would never "bury" them like they do on the spyders.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Make sure your Schrader valve innards are tight. If you don't have a tool for that, get some caps with the tool at any Walmart. In fact, make sure your fill valve (under the seat) has a good cap with an oring in it to seal it. Same source for those at any Walmart.

I got a simple tiny 12v air pump mounted in my left saddlebag that's always attached to the valve under the seat with valve stem extenders. Open the bag and check the gauge. If it's low, just push the button to fill it up. If I need the pump for a tire emergency, I can release it and use it for filling tires etc. Full details at link in my sig.

pump.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Anybody take off the bladder from a f3? What do you need to remove to get to it??
    2018 Spyder F3T , Bright White