Spyder Garage

Default Where is the temperature sensor?

I have a 2020 RTL and the temperature is clearly not air temp, were did the place the sensor? 81 outside - temp 91, 93 stop at a light 103

Spyder Garage

Good question, Warfels. I've wondered the same thing.(?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's the air temp. Because of where it's placed, it "collects" quite of bit of the engine heat and takes a while to cool back down to "ambient temp". I added the quotes as it's not out in the open so no matter what you do, it's going to be a little warmer than the actual outside temp. It's on the right side, near the frunk. To check/remove it, you'll need to remove the (3) main pieces of tupperware. If you start the bike whilst it's unplugged, it'll set off a couple of codes.

Once you see it, you'll understand why it doesn't sense the actual temp. I generally subtract 4-6* to come up with the actual outside temp.

Spyder Garage

Thanks has anyone made a cable to extend / relocate the sensor .. When it is 80 out and it read 112 at a light - it is not doing its job. Maybe one of the Spyder shops will help us out

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warfels View Post
    Thanks has anyone made a cable to extend / relocate the sensor .. When it is 80 out and it read 112 at a light - it is not doing its job. Maybe one of the Spyder shops will help us out
    Actually, it IS doing its job - it's just that 'its job' was NOT originally intended to be to show YOU, the rider, the ambient/outside air temp, but rather to provide an 'under the tupperware' &/or 'air intake temp' to the various systems that need to use that info in order to help the engine run at its best - it's probably just that some (sales type, or possibly marketing?? ) tosser thought they could convince the un-aware punters out there (ie, potential but gullible buyers :rlleyes: ) that these Spyders have an 'ambient temp indicator' on the dash & so improve their chances of making a sale, even tho the engineering types told them that that sensor & the info it provided was never meant for that and would almost always be somewhat higher than outside ambient....

So it's only WRONG if you think of it as an ambient air temp indicator, but it's RIGHT & even very helpful for the systems that use the 'under the tupperware/intake air temp' in order to help the engine control systems get things running properly!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thanks your right it does serve a purpose and if i moved it my affect the engine performance

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember exactly what I did with mine, but I think I enlarged the hole in the duct it was mounted above. Whether it affected engine performance I don't know, but sometimes I wonder if it reduced my mpg. Other than that it had no effect. The main thing to keep in mind about it is that it is a combination temperature and ambient pressure sensor. I think the main reason it's mounted where it is is to prevent air from ramming against it and causing a higher than actual pressure reading. I put some foam or did something else to keep air from blowing directly on the sensor so that it would do a better job of sensing actual ambient air pressure. But, I do have temp readings that are very close to real air temps!

As far as reading high I think that is caused more by sunshine warming up the area above the duct. The sensor is in front of the radiator and above the duct so I really don't think it picks up engine heat. One time it registered about 120°F after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours and put the bike into Limp Mode, I think it was. A few hundred feet of travel cooled it down enough to cancel the Limp Mode.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mine works perfectly..................... when I go out to the garage in the morning, I know exactly how warm it is in there ........................ then I start the Spyder.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks your right it does serve a purpose and if i moved it my affect the engine performance

If you do a bit of research, you might find the engine has its own intake air temp sensor

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the response and idea's I'm buying Mini Hygrometer Thermometer Digital LCD Monitor Indoor Outdoor Humidity Meter Gauge
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.ht...0d8e2dd1ca%2C1

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If you do a bit of research, you might find the engine has its own intake air temp sensor
    Well, yes and no. There is the MAPTS, Manifold Absolute Pressure and Temperature Sensor, in addition to the AAPTS. Both feed into the ECM which uses both in making a comparison of the two readings to fine tune the ECM engine control. The engine does not rely exclusively on the MAPTS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the response and idea's I'm buying Mini Hygrometer Thermometer Digital LCD Monitor Indoor Outdoor Humidity Meter Gauge
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/huc/view.ht...0d8e2dd1ca%2C1
    Between the heat these spyders produce and the sun, you're gonna have a hard time finding a spot to mount the sensor for an accurate air temp reading. On my 2018 I mounted a tiny sensor under one of my mirrors, out of the sunshine, but not quite beyond the reach of the spyders heat. Sitting at a red light you could watch the temp rise degree by degree. It did work fine on the highway when the heat was not rising off the spyder.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Temperature sensor

This thread has been interesting. I just picked-up a 2021 RT L and noticed the same thing. On the dash screen there is a temperature reading that suggests it is the outside temperature (e.g. 79F). However, if the other posts that suggest this reading is more to do with engine operation, BRP did not think through the posting on the screen. Mine has fluctuated between 66 - 96 over the timeframe of my rides today. The outside temperature has been 64 F max. I found nothing in the manual related to this. I will review again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2023 at 03:22 PM. Reason: string - thread ;-)

Spyder Garage

Yes, mine reads 5° hotter than the ambient temperature outside. Once I realize this it was no problem to do the math.

Spyder Garage

Brp has had this setup since day one of production of the Spyders. As an earlier poster mentioned just subtract 4-5 degrees while moving and you will be in the ball park of actual temp. It is the way it is. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Speaking of air intake temp------

I like cold air/ram air concepts. The Spyders air intake is on the left side above the radiator, right?? But is sure looks restricted at it's intake. But it's in a good spot and if it could be opened up somehow---- Thoughts???
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow