Spyder Garage

Default Error Codes P196C, P0524 - any insights?

Tried going for a ride this morning. I could tell something was not quite right as it took a little more throttle to get going and the take-off was jerkier than usual. I attributed this to the colder than usual temperature (mid 40's). Once moving it ran fine. About 5 miles from home, the engine quit at a stop light. This has never happened before. When I restarted, the trike was in limp mode. On the way home I had to ease on the throttle very slowly or the engine would quit. The idle was around 1500-1600 instead of 900 and engagement was very jerky. At home I read error codes P196C (Clutch pressure high) and P0524 (oil pressure low). Oil level is fine. As per other suggestions, I removed the key for a couple of hours and tried again - same thing.

For the P196C code, the shop manual says to run the cleaning cycle. What is that? I could not find a reference. It also says to change the oil.

This is a 2019 F3L and still under warranty, so I will let the dealer handle it. However, any insight to the problem would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay for a premature oil change.

Thanks in advance.

PS. The message Transmission Error came on briefly and went away.
    Last edited by wmjweber45; 01-26-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: added info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    Tried going for a ride this morning. I could tell something was not quite right as it took a little more throttle to get going and the take-off was jerkier than usual. I attributed this to the colder than usual temperature (mid 40's). Once moving it ran fine. About 5 miles from home, the engine quit at a stop light. This has never happened before. When I restarted, the trike was in limp mode. On the way home I had to ease on the throttle very slowly or the engine would quit. The idle was around 1500-1600 instead of 900 and engagement was very jerky. At home I read error codes P196C (Clutch pressure high) and P0524 (oil pressure low). Oil level is fine. As per other suggestions, I removed the key for a couple of hours and tried again - same thing.

For the P196C code, the shop manual says to run the cleaning cycle. What is that? I could not find a reference. It also says to change the oil.

This is a 2019 F3L and still under warranty, so I will let the dealer handle it. However, any insight to the problem would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to pay for a premature oil change.

Thanks in advance.
    Super curious as to the fix of this.....please post.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What kind of oil are you using by chance?

Spyder Garage

Whatever the dealer put in. Invoice says 5W40 Synthetic blend. Doesn't say what brand.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Super curious as to the fix of this.....please post.
    & few too many oil related issues showing up lately (maybe just me?)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run 10w30 amsoil and never threw a code. Even at lower temps than what you posted.

Keep us posted what you find out from teh dealer.

Spyder Garage

Maybe cleaning cycle is refering to clean the message codes?

Captura.jpg
    Captura2.jpg
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Recently, either here or FB, someone posted about a similar problem. Not saying you have the same problem but possibly. On his Spyder, the plastic oil pump gear failed causing low or no oil pressure and the shredded gear was within the oil inside the engine cases.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=Oil+pump+gear

Disregard what I posted, the other guy has an ST with a different engine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & few too many oil related issues showing up lately (maybe just me?)
    Could you be more specific please? What kind of oil related issues have you been seeing and what are the symptoms? I don't recall such issues being mentioned on the forum,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.

PS. The message Transmission Error came on briefly and went away.
    The cleaning cycle is the process of (using BUDS) clearing the memory tables of computers,learned values from driving.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

The dealer won't get to the trike for a week. I will let you all know if they can figure anything out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dealer won't get to the trike for a week. I will let you all know if they can figure anything out.
    Very interested to know results
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Update - Dealer finally got a look and diagnosed "no oil pressure". No cause diagnosed at this time. Now they are waiting for Can-Am to give a go-ahead for warranty work.

Spyder Garage

Default Error Codes P196C, P0524 - Update

As I previously posted, I received these error codes after riding a short bit about a month ago. The trike went into limp mode and I managed to get it home. The dealer picked it up a week later and their diagnosis showed no oil pressure.

After finally getting approval from BRP they started taking things apart. They told me that they found two thrashed gears in the oil pump and sent photos to BRP (I did not see the photos). No indication as to why these gears failed. Could be defective parts or incorrect installation, I suppose. I just hope it is not an inherent problem with this engine.

Due to the likelihood of further yet undiscovered damage due to no oil, BRP is sending a complete new engine. It will take at least 2 weeks to get here and probably another week to install. It is really disappointing having my ride fail after just over a year. Riding is one of the few things I can still enjoy, and each ride is precious when you have a lot more riding days behind you than in front. However, kudos to BRP and my dealer for taking care of this problem even though the time it is taking seems excessive.

Spyder Garage

The least BRP could have done was to have the dealer supply a "loaner" Spyder until the repair is completed.

BUT----

If customer service really mattered, BRP should replace the vehicle with an exact replica ( or even better ). What local Spyder tech would you trust with replacing an engine????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I previously posted, I received these error codes after riding a short bit about a month ago. The trike went into limp mode and I managed to get it home. The dealer picked it up a week later and their diagnosis showed no oil pressure.

After finally getting approval from BRP they started taking things apart. They told me that they found two thrashed gears in the oil pump and sent photos to BRP (I did not see the photos). No indication as to why these gears failed. Could be defective parts or incorrect installation, I suppose. I just hope it is not an inherent problem with this engine.

Due to the likelihood of further yet undiscovered damage due to no oil, BRP is sending a complete new engine. It will take at least 2 weeks to get here and probably another week to install. It is really disappointing having my ride fail after just over a year. Riding is one of the few things I can still enjoy, and each ride is precious when you have a lot more riding days behind you than in front. However, kudos to BRP and my dealer for taking care of this problem even though the time it is taking seems excessive.
    I remember this earlier post....thanks for updating......at least the dealer is being pro active in the repair process.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

same thing happeened to my fs with only 5000 miles new motor ! plastic gears exploded in oil pump .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The least BRP could have done was to have the dealer supply a "loaner" Spyder until the repair is completed.

BUT----

If customer service really mattered, BRP should replace the vehicle with an exact replica ( or even better ). What local Spyder tech would you trust with replacing an engine????

Lew L
    Getting a loaner would be nice, but would probably raise liability issues that no dealer would want to face. They don't keep a large stock of Spyders. I guess putting a new engine in would be the same as an exact replica since I spent a bit of time and money getting it tricked out the way I wanted. As for the dealer, I have been using them for some time for my motorcycle service and never had any issues with work quality. They seem to be doing things right. They also sell and service a lot of the Can-Am four wheel toys. I can give shout out to Tri-County Motorsports in Moorpark, CA. From what I have read here, they must be one of the best dealers out there. They also service HD, Honda, and other brands.