Spyder Garage

Default 2020 Ryker overheating

First time poster obviously, but as I have been searching the boards online trying to find answers to my situation I've come across this forum. Hopefully someone will be able to help me. I bought my 2020 RYker in June of 2020. I went through the break in stage no problems I made sure my fluids and inspection was done before each ride. In August I even went on a 300 mile ride in 95*+ degrees. Again, no problems . About 3 months ago in November /December it was about 70* when I went about 30 miles away. on the way back the temp gauge starting moving up as I went faster. it went up from the normal half way mark to 1 extra bar .. then 2 then 3 all the sudden it goes to the top and i get a flashing message saying it is over heating and i need to shut down. I was going about 65-70mph at the time. so i happen to come up to a notoriously long stoplight so i just shut it down.. as usual the fan stayed on a few seconds then went off.. after like maybe 4 minutes at that stop light i turned it back on and started going.. The heat indicator was at half way again.. as i started going faster RPM's around 4500 it stayed there.. if i got to say 5k rpms it would go up one bar.. 5500 2 bars and so on. if i slowed back down.. the temperature would go back down as fast up and it did down..

Now i can understand something getting hot fast.. but for it to cool off just as fast by just slowing down seems a bit weird to me. Now the thing is.. Now if i try to ride it at all once I'm on it for more than a few minutes going over 45mph it will start to go up and the fan comes on.. once that fan comes on, it NEVER goes off unless i shut the bike off. I have checked the oil level, looks good the water/antifreeze liquid is good level . I can not figure out what is causing it to over heat like this. I live in Texas if it's doing this in the 60's and 70's I don't want to know what is gonna happen in may-Sept when it's over 100.

Any suggestions..

Also on a side note I'm still under warranty, but they are telling me i have to PAY to get it evaluated / diagnosed . Even if the warranty covers the repair, I still have to pay to have them check to see what's wrong with it.. Does that sound normal? This is my first BRP / can am product so I'm not as familiar with the warranties.

I have 2122 miles on it. The only customized things I put on it is LED lights / New head lights / thicker hand grips , and decals.

Spyder Garage

Several possibilities. But all should be investigated right away. You do not want to ride hot.

First, the radiator sits very low on the Ryker. It is very possible that you've collected enough debris to severely limit air flow. Easily checked and easily rectified. And is the most likely scenario.
    Second. Make sure your cooling system is full. Check the fluid reservoir while cold. Make sure it is at the minimum level. Also possible. Especially if the set-up crew did not do a thorough job. Though this would have more likely given you trouble sooner. If you are leaking coolant, you would probably have smelled it.
    Third. If these first 2 potential issues check out. It could be a faulty thermostat. Check this yourself or have it checked.
    Lastly, it could be a faulty gauge. But this is the least likely scenario and poses the least potential for permanent damage. If it's reading high, it won't hurt the engine. Of course you'll still want to get this corrected if it is the culprit. But it's not as critical as the first 3 potential issues.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-26-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ron about what the potential problem may be but I can't imagine the dealer would charge you to diagnose/evaluate your Ryker if it is under warranty. I put this one on the BS meter. I would contact another dealer to see what they say.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah i checked the levels.. they are fine. I was kinda thinking thermostat myself. seeing how the temp would go down so fast.. almost like it was directly related to RPM's and not even taking account wind blowing in or not.

Good call on checking with different dealer
    i'll update soon

Spyder Garage

I would call Can Am corporate. They will probably contact dealer for you to encourage them to wave the service fee.

Spyder Garage

I think perhaps you misunderstand what the dealer is telling you. A great number of the things that can cause overheating are NOT warranty issues. Dirty radiator, low coolant and the like. If you bring the bike in and they find a cause that is not warranty related, you will be on the hook for the repair cost. If it turns out to be a defect like a stuck thermostat, BRP will pay the bill. But you are responsible for the bill that BRP does not pay. That is simply the way repairs work. Dealer is trying to cover their butt so if its not warranty, you are prepared to pay.

The dealer CANNOT charge you for warranty repairs but its up to BRP what is covered by warranty. The dealer gets paid either way.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I think perhaps you misunderstand what the dealer is telling you. A great number of the things that can cause overheating are NOT warranty issues. Dirty radiator, low coolant and the like. If you bring the bike in and they find a cause that is not warranty related, you will be on the hook for the repair cost. If it turns out to be a defect like a stuck thermostat, BRP will pay the bill. But you are responsible for the bill that BRP does not pay. That is simply the way repairs work. Dealer is trying to cover their butt so if its not warranty, you are prepared to pay.

The dealer CANNOT charge you for warranty repairs but its up to BRP what is covered by warranty. The dealer gets paid either way.
    Exactly right...

This is why checking the non-warranty, easily determined possibilities can save you time and money.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-27-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Well I definitely appreciate the advice. I'll take it in on Tuesday to get it looked at. You know a strange thing was brought up when I was calling different dealers .. one of them asked me if the fan was blowing the wrong direction. I thought about it for a minute ... why would it even change directions to begin with? what's the purpose of going the opposite direction? Also how would you even tell that.. Isn't the fan completely enclosed?

But i found one of the dealers that will service it and they told me that the diagnostic would be covered IF it was a warranty issue that ended up being the culprit, but the place where I actually bought it said 120$ for the diag.. regardless if it ended up being warranty or not. The warranty would only cover the cost of the repair. Guess I need to do business with a different place now.

I rode it today to the friends house about 20minutes away to load it on a trailer to take to the dealer on Tuesday (about 50 miles away) . Left my house it was 71 *F outside. if i went over 48mph it started temp climbing if i slowed down to 47 it would go back down to operating temp. If i got to 60 it would go up to 1 bar from the top and the alert would come on. slow down.. back down to Operating temp.

Funny thing is a cold front came in about half way there. temp outside instantly dropped 15 degrees. now all the sudden i could go 55 and stay at operating temp lol. I'll let you guys know what the outcome was as soon as I find out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it were anything except the amazingly electronically complicated Spyder/Ryder, I'd think thermostat isn't opening far enough. Won't let
    the water circulate heat away from the engine fast enough. Works with lower heat generation at lower rpm, but more heat generation
    overwhelms the cooling ability. JMO anyway.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    If it were anything except the amazingly electronically complicated Spyder/Ryder, I'd think thermostat isn't opening far enough. Won't let
    the water circulate heat away from the engine fast enough. Works with lower heat generation at lower rpm, but more heat generation
    overwhelms the cooling ability. JMO anyway.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Spyder Garage

Are the fans temp controlled on these things? I've had issues with "smart" electric fans that wouldn't know the difference between a hot potato and an ice cube.

Speaking of easy checks - next time it overheats, pop the hood and make sure the fan's running full speed. That would definitely be a warranty issue.

Spyder Garage

Took the wife's Ryker in today. She bought it in july 2020. We have 3277 miles on it. The fan started running wild last Nov. It ran more in November than in the heat of august. It was almost constant. I think its a bad heat sensor causing the fan to run. It never ran hot according to the dash and never caused the coolant tank to overflow. We'll see what the dealer has to say. Should take 3 to 4 days according to them.

Spyder Garage

Default 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    unfortunately it will be 2 weeks before i know anything

it's a 2 week wait for an appointment to even get looked at.

Spyder Garage

To me it almost sounds like a blown head gasket. That's pretty much how they act on a car but not sure if it would act the same way on one of these.

Spyder Garage

one of the things baja ron said was to check for obstruction in front of the radiator. did you check that?

Spyder Garage

Ok guys 3 weeks and a few days later. The issue has been found and resolved. Apparently the thermostat went out "7 month old bike" then it caused the "cooling system to fail and ruin" thus A new thermostat and entire new cooling system (radiator and valves ) were replaced .

Also it looks like it happened when the battery had run down due to leaving lights on and they didn't' auto turn off . when the battery ran down I charged it with a battery charger (disconnected from all other wires ) but that is when the trouble started. The thermostat failed then caused the cooling system to overwork and burned it out and the radiator ended up getting damaged. I do not pretend to know how a radiator gets damaged but they said it was damaged.
    After it was all said and done, I took it to the right place because it cost me 0.00 . completely covered under warranty. However a word of advice if you leave the key attached and kill the bike "sometimes" the lights stay on . I do not know why it happened but i have been unable to reproduce it. kill switch on or off the lights normally turn off.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update, and thank goodness it was still under warranty. That would have been one costly repair bill.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Radiator is bad? Id be more worried about how hot the engine got!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbin View Post
    Ok guys 3 weeks and a few days later. The issue has been found and resolved. Apparently the thermostat went out "7 month old bike" then it caused the "cooling system to fail and ruin" thus A new thermostat and entire new cooling system (radiator and valves ) were replaced .

Also it looks like it happened when the battery had run down due to leaving lights on and they didn't' auto turn off . when the battery ran down I charged it with a battery charger (disconnected from all other wires ) but that is when the trouble started. The thermostat failed then caused the cooling system to overwork and burned it out and the radiator ended up getting damaged. I do not pretend to know how a radiator gets damaged but they said it was damaged.
    After it was all said and done, I took it to the right place because it cost me 0.00 . completely covered under warranty. However a word of advice if you leave the key attached and kill the bike "sometimes" the lights stay on . I do not know why it happened but i have been unable to reproduce it. kill switch on or off the lights normally turn off.
    If I switch her off (with the killswitch) the lights are still on for a while,
    that normal !
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can understand the headlight time delay relay "hanging up" allowing the lights to remain on, but fail to understand how charging the battery, when "disconnected from all other wires", could affect a mechanically operated coolant thermostat within the cooling system.

Is the thermostat reference perhaps to the fan on/off thermostat, which if failed open, would prevent fan operation?

If not (and unrelated to the battery condition), the coolant thermostat failed closed/partly closed, and the resultant heat/pressure expanded the radiator, maybe that is a possibility.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I can understand the headlight time delay relay "hanging up" allowing the lights to remain on, but fail to understand how charging the battery, when "disconnected from all other wires", could affect a mechanically operated coolant thermostat within the cooling system.
    Is the thermostat reference perhaps to the fan on/off thermostat, which if failed open, would prevent fan operation?
    If not (and unrelated to the battery condition), the coolant thermostat failed closed/partly closed, and the resultant heat/pressure expanded the radiator, maybe that is a possibility.
    I think there was something else not correct - maybe the cables or the Relais .. a (Bosch-) sensor normally makes no problems ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Yeah I the expand comment was mentioned when he told me but I forgot until someone said it. The only thing i can think of is when i put the wires back on maybe one of them wasn't tight or was just barely touching and shorted out the thermo? I can only guess but all I know is the radiator is new because the old one had a couple bug "dents" in the grill part of it and it looks brand new .. no discoloring dirt or anything on it. I also noticed the reservoir is also new. not sure why that would need to be replaced unless something was wrong with it too.