Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas - do you use a funnel to fill?

I went to look at a Ryker for the first time yesterday. I liked the looks of it but cannot understand why you need a funnel to fill it. I usually use a gas can every time I go for a ride to prevent friends waiting for me at a gas station. Do you always use a funnel or can you use the gas can? Also, do you need the funnel to fill up at a gas stations? How easy is it to overfill, because I've seen where several people complained about it ruining the plastic? Like I said, I only looked at it once and it was too cold to test drive, but I did like the sitting position. I may have more questions in the future.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-25-2021 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Chg 'way' to 'easy'. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Using an automatic nozzle at a gas station does not require a funnel. Just make sure it is all the way in, and NEVER EVER top up more than the point the nozzle automaticly stops.
    You can fill up with a funnel and a can, but personally I would avoid it just to minimize the risk of overfilling/slobbering.
    There is an overfill pipe that exits at the front wheel, but I highly doubt it will save your day if you fill at a rapid speed with a can.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Ryker comes with a funnel accessible from the right side air filter cover. When not filling with a nozzle, the funnel is necessary to deflect the spring loaded flap which the nozzle would do normally. I have filled with a can on a long trip without issue. The extra terrestrial highway is about 156 mi between fuel stops.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The overfill tube drains off any fuel above the spring-loaded flap, which is why it is recommended to let the nozzle stay in place for a few seconds before removing.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

never used the funnel in the last 16.000 miles - never overfilled her ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf9S6qX2_U&t=61s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    never used the funnel in the last 16.000 miles - never overfilled her ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf9S6qX2_U&t=61s
    I have used a gas can and the funnel only once. Found that the added fuel did not register on the fuel gauge. Took a couple of fillups at the pump to get the guage to work as before. Good thing I use the autonomy setting and trip settings to monitor mileage between fillups.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

I have never used the funnel to refuel. I always insert the pump nozzle all the way in the tank and slow fill till the nozzle kicks off, then stop. I'll wait a few seconds to let residual fuel in the hose to drain into the tank, then carefully remove the nozzle to make sure I don't get any drips on the plastic works of the body. Gas leaves stains that are nearly, if not impossible to remove.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I fill my Rally using the funnel and a jug nearly every time. Have almost 5,000 miles and have filled at a gas station maybe twice. I ride just on back roads and am rarely by a filling station. I top up after every trip when I get home and have overfilled only once and like previously mentioned, it comes out a tube by the right front tire. I listen and you can tell when it's starting to get close. I admit that I don't 'fill it up' because my trips are usually in the 40 to 60 mile range and since I always start with close to a full tank, I never worry about gas. You can also see the gas with the funnel inserted in case you're worried about over filling.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

I have not used a funnel. But I probably would with a fuel can.

I always top my Ryker off as full as I can get it. I usually am going more than 1 fuel tank away and I want as much range as I can get. You have to be carful as the fuel system is not forgiving if you club fist the nozzle. But it can be done. I'm always pushing the envelope. I enjoy (and sometimes pay for) living this way. Not everyone does and I understand that. Different strokes....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I will agree with SportsterDoc. I tan out of gas on the ET highway in my car. I had a luggage rack up top for this trip and wasn’t getting the mileage I thought I was getting. No cell coverage around. had to thumb a ride to a gas station and back.

Spyder Garage

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know just where to get these funnels? I just purchased a 2022 Ryker Rally and it did not come with one. When I spoke to the dealership where I purchesed it they said they don't come with the funnels anymore, but there is this spot for it. I also reached out to Can-am they they couldn't answer me, simply directing me to the dealership.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Funnel

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know just where to get these funnels? I just purchased a 2022 Ryker Rally and it did not come with one. When I spoke to the dealership where I purchesed it they said they don't come with the funnels anymore, but there is this spot for it. I also reached out to Can-am they they couldn't answer me, simply directing me to the dealership.
    I would check with your local Auto parts store. They should have what you need. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPubah916 View Post
    Most likely a corporate lawyer is behind this one. Someone Overfills, Funnel leads to spill due to cutoff not working on the pump, spill catches on fire = Can Am catches the blame for giving the spiller a funnel to bypass the protection of the auto-shutoff when the Ambulance Chaser starts suing everyone with deep pockets.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

cheapcycleparts.com look up an earlier model. Order from them, give your dealer the part number 709001045, or google the part number for other sources including ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I lost my funnel and ordered this one on Amazon. Works well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My filter gets lots of grime, dust and other crap in it when stored in the factory location. If I were to use it, I’d have to find a way to rinse it off. I assume it’s common for road grime to get in there and collect on the funnel?
    2020 Ryker 600

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have not used a funnel. But I probably would with a fuel can.

I always top my Ryker off as full as I can get it. I usually am going more than 1 fuel tank away and I want as much range as I can get. You have to be carful as the fuel system is not forgiving if you club fist the nozzle. But it can be done. I'm always pushing the envelope. I enjoy (and sometimes pay for) living this way. Not everyone does and I understand that. Different strokes....
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I am not a mechanic or Ryker expert, I just own a 2021 Ryker Rally. I think the funnel be came unnecessary at least with the 2021 models. My 2021 Ryker Rally came with a screw-on gas cap with no spring loaded flap in the fill tube. The original Rykers cam with no gas cap at all and had to have the spring loaded flap to avoid getting debris in the filling tube and to keep gas from sloshing out. People with no gas cap complained about strong gas fumes coming from the tank. Many of these people bought after market screw-on gas caps. Eventually BRP added the screw-on gas cap and, at least by 2021, stopped including the spring loaded flap. The 2021 Rykers still had the funnel, but it seems it was really unnecessary because there was no flap in the filling tube had to be pushed open. It looks like they then deleted the funnel with the 2022 models.

Spyder Garage

By Jove !! I think TCRyker is right! It's outdated and unnecessary.....

Spyder Garage

The 2022 do not come with them anymore. After 2021, they are not needed. They were only needed for the capless fill models. You might find it at canamoemparts.com.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffnator View Post
    The 2022 do not come with them anymore. After 2021, they are not needed. They were only needed for the capless fill models. You might find it at canamoemparts.com.
    Yes- My new Sport does not have the spring loaded flap when you put the nozzle in because it has the gas cap.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!