Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Any way to Change the Cruise Control Switch position?

Hi everyone,
    I hate where the cruise control switch is on my SPyder 2017. I assume most Spyders are set up this way. Trying to get to 70 mph and thend set the cruise control takes contortions I find painful. Is there a mod to move the switch so the right hand can control the switch. I have reached over at times with my right hand, bit that seems dangerous at highway speeds. Your help will be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm a bit confused. The RT has the cruise control on the right side already. It's thumb operated. Push the switch to the left to turn it off, pull it to the right to turn it on. Push it down to set a speed and/or decrease the set speed and push it up to resume the last activated speed and/or increase the set speed. What am I missing?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brainsprain View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I hate where the cruise control switch is on my SPyder 2017. I assume most Spyders are set up this way. Trying to get to 70 mph and thend set the cruise control takes contortions I find painful. Is there a mod to move the switch so the right hand can control the switch. I have reached over at times with my right hand, bit that seems dangerous at highway speeds. Your help will be appreciated.
    I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? The CC switch is on the right handgrip. Or do you have a Spyder that someone has swapped the hand grips on?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah, I do feel better because I thought all the CC controls were on the right handlebar. Hate to find another thing I'm
    wrong about today.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone,
    It sounds like that was a home install for the cruise control. As others have stated, the CC is on the right side and can be operated easily with the right thumb. Would you attach a picture of your set up if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Maybe the OP should mount the seat facing forward?
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lol.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control

As others have said, the normal position is on the right hand grip. If your CC is any where else, someone has changed it.
    Post a picture of your setup. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Ok, everyone. I miss stated it. The present cruise control is factory install on the right. The problem is I am throttling then I have to twist my hand into an awkward position to set or resume speed. Obviously, if I only want to resume, I can do that regardless of how fast I’m going but if I am 20 or miles slower than 70 say, the bike simply blasts off. Sort of unsettling to an unsuspecting passenger. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to place the set/resume switch elsewhere where the LEFT hand could set or resume.

I’m not usually so screwed up. I apparently did not read what I wrote before I posted it. Sorry.

Spyder Garage

but if I am 20 or miles slower than 70 say, the bike simply blasts off. Sort of unsettling to an unsuspecting passenger..
    Don't know how to move it, but when faced with that situation I would simply roll on the throttle a bit until I was close to the preset speed then hit resume. I know that is what you are trying to avoid, just not sure of a better way.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Don't know how to move it, but when faced with that situation I would simply roll on the throttle a bit until I was close to the preset speed then hit resume...
    , 100%! think about it this way, if you were driving your cage and had set the CC at 70 and you had to tap the brakes to slow for something that brought you down to the speed where your CC just begins to operate and , once past the cause of your slowing, would you hit Resume and let your cage take off like a rocket to get back to 70?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    , 100%! think about it this way, if you were driving your cage and had set the CC at 70 and you had to tap the brakes to slow for something that brought you down to the speed where your CC just begins to operate and , once past the cause of your slowing, would you hit Resume and let your cage take off like a rocket to get back to 70?
    I just want a cage that will "take off like a rocket". My 0-60 times are measured in minutes, not seconds.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control

Yes, throttle it up by hand to plus/minus 2 or 3 mph of your 'set speed '.
    This works for me. The wife doesn't like the 'rocket launch'.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I just want a cage that will "take off like a rocket". My 0-60 times are measured in minutes, not seconds.
    My 2017 5.0 is a convertible, so it is actually not a cage. But when the adaptive cruise control kicks in as soon as someone in front of me gets out of the way, it is awesome!
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It sounds like that was a home install for the cruise control. As others have stated, the CC is on the right side and can be operated easily with the right thumb. Would you attach a picture of your set up if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    ..... To the best of my knowledge Every RT ( since 2010 ) came with an OEM cruise control on the right grip ...... jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CC

I feel your pain ..... Until I learned that that the RT - CC switch had the ability the " accelerate " & " slow down " by pushing the switch up ( accelerate ) or Down ( slow ) it drove me nuts trying the set the speed EXACTLY as I wanted .... and you only need to activate the cruise control - ONCE and just leave it ON ..... it will never completely shut off unless you do it manually via the switch.... if the cruise is on and you tap / apply the brake it shuts Off - TEMPORARILY .... untill you re-set it at whatever speed you so desire ...... hope this helps ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have been an avid CC fan since my first RT in 2010. I use it most of the time. I always leave mine on. The unit is never shut off. However, you need to RESET it each time you re-start the bike. The first time, I run it up to the approx. speed I want and then push down to SET the CC. If not right on, I then use the up/down buttons to fine tune. It adjusts by 1 mph per click, up or down.

Braking, shifting, accelerating, will each disconnect the CC. A simple RESUME will take you back to your original settings.

At this point in time, I don't even have to think about it. Those finger movements are in the muscle movements of riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Maybe the OP should mount the seat facing forward?
    Are you implying that the single wheel is not the front? I thought that's how trikes were configured.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you implying that the single wheel is not the front? I thought that's how trikes were configured.
    Only the dangerous unstable ones.

Spyder Garage

I had a 1981 VW diesel Jetta and referred to accelerating simply as gaining momentum.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have been an avid CC fan since my first RT in 2010. I use it most of the time. I always leave mine on. The unit is never shut off. However, you need to RESET it each time you re-start the bike. The first time, I run it up to the approx. speed I want and then push down to SET the CC. If not right on, I then use the up/down buttons to fine tune. It adjusts by 1 mph per click, up or down.

Braking, shifting, accelerating, will each disconnect the CC. A simple RESUME will take you back to your original settings.

At this point in time, I don't even have to think about it. Those finger movements are in the muscle movements of riding.
    What he ^^^ said. I am a cruise controller a lot of the time, except in the twisties. I set it once and do my own "adaptive" changes to match traffic flow with up and down on the Resume/Set positions. I seldom have a death grip on the handle bars, more like resting my hands on them. I also have large hands with foam grips and my thumb easily reaches the CC switch. So if you are a death gripped that might be part of your issue. Relax, let the Spyder do it's think with small inputs from time to time. If alignment is correct and you have good tires(note, I do not think tires from a Kenda bicycle company are good tires). In my book the Federal's or other good car tires and the BajaRon's HD sway bar greatly improve the Spyder RT handling greatly.

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Only the dangerous unstable ones.
    Actually we ride a lot with friends that have a GW trike and it seems to get around in the twisties just fine. Think the 88(Apache Trail) to Canyon Lake out of Apache Junction, Az. Now get into to a corner over your head, would you want to be on a Spyder or a GW trike. We know the answer to that question! Spyder ryder "Nanny help me" thanks! GW trike rider, "What no Nanny" oh cr@p!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your help. With that of others I got the idea about increasing and decreasing speed using the CC switch.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Brain, thanks for the clarification. I guess we must use the CC in different manners. I've never felt the Spyder makes like a rocket, but rather a gentle acceleration. I often set the cruise while speeding up, then back off slightly on the throttle grip and push up on the CC switch button. That gives a comfortably fast speed increase. I find I need to hold the button until I'm 2 or 3 mph above my desired speed. When I let go of the button the speed drops back and then settles in at close to the desired speed. Also, the CC won't set if you are accelerating hard, or pulling hard up a hill, with the throttle wide open, or slowing down with the throttle closed. There is one big difference I noticed with the throttle and CC with the Spyder compared to the Goldwing I had. With the Goldwing as I held the throttle open it was easy to nudge it more open and increase my speed above the CC setting. You had to hold the throttle open because the spring would return it to full close and shut off the CC. With the Spyder there is no need to hold onto the throttle while on CC.

I think you'll find using the button for gradual acceleration and deceleration works pretty good. In fact, until I got my 2016 Maxima with adaptive CC, I considered the Spyder to be the best CC I had ever used!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I do it when I’m out on the road and it seems to work fine. I very seldom use it in town.