Spyder Garage

Default The Spouse...[Seeking Riding Experience Info]

I've handed over a deposit to hold a 2020 RT Ltd and hope to have at least a day of riding weather (Syracuse, NY, USA) to test the bike and see what this thing is like before finalizing the deal. And, my plan is to include my wife in that demo ride so she can know what it will be like too.

But I'd really like to hear actual passenger opinions about these bikes. We've been 2-wheeled, H-D Limited travelers for many years and the Can-Am would be a brand new experience for us. The tales about how great they are fill these forums and the YouTube space. But there is very little information from the passengers about the pros and cons they experience.

Would anyone be able to share their honest, first-person opinion about being a backseat Can-Am RT rider? Any feedback about the general riding experience, harsh weather conditions, wind on the helmet/shoulders, etc, would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Steven

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When Peggy has ridden on the back of her 2013 Spyder STS-SM5, she says she gets a sensation of the Spyder moving around
    a little, like it's weaving slightly. I haven't ridden on the back, but have not noticed the movement that she has commented on.
    She says it's not uncomfortable or scary, just a little disconcerting. She says the feeling is only on the Spyder, a bike doesn't
    give her that feeling.

Her Spyder rides solo straight and true, up to 80+ MPH, as fast as I've had it, the tire pressures are what they should be, but
    the OEM Kenda tires are still in place so I can't discount the fact that it is rolling on 7 year old tires, and not very good ones
    either, from what I've read. I am curious to see if the feeling is still there when i put the new tires, not Kendas, on the Spyder.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjtryon View Post
    I've handed over a deposit to hold a 2020 RT Ltd and hope to have at least a day of riding weather (Syracuse, NY, USA) to test the bike and see what this thing is like before finalizing the deal. And, my plan is to include my wife in that demo ride so she can know what it will be like too.

But I'd really like to hear actual passenger opinions about these bikes. We've been 2-wheeled, H-D Limited travelers for many years and the Can-Am would be a brand new experience for us. The tales about how great they are fill these forums and the YouTube space. But there is very little information from the passengers about the pros and cons they experience.

Would anyone be able to share their honest, first-person opinion about being a backseat Can-Am RT rider? Any feedback about the general riding experience, harsh weather conditions, wind on the helmet/shoulders, etc, would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Steven
    Take a test ride with you and your other......really, real world experience counts......but, coming from a Goldwing.......it’s a different animal.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Passenger

Did she enjoy riding on your 2 wheel? Did she feel safe? Did you check for any weather? I always made the Wife's riding trip so she wanted to go. It has been a challenge sometimes but now she asks me 'to go'.

Do some Demo rydes with her and asks her. ....

Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I am guessing that you have still got snow on the ground in Syracuse NY an even though the streets are clear and probably covered in a fine salt dust like we would have further north. These bikes don't have any under coating and exposure to this salt dust or spray will cause early corrosion on your new bike. Please make sure that you do the demo ride on a dealer demo bike and not the one you are going to buy.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Read the Do's and Don'ts in the general section of the forum. Much helpful advice for new riders. The test ride on the Spyder may feel scary at first. Many people try to over control. The Spyder being sensitive to input will sometimes make you feel like it has a mind of its own. The secret is to loosen up, relax those death grips. Lean into the curves, that will reduce the "g" forces. Plant the outside foot on the footpads/pegs. Have the "passenger" follow your moves.

Riding impressions: They ride as nice as a GW-couch, or an upline HD. Linda, started her first year with me as a passenger, and she got in over 10,000 seat miles as a passenger. A big mistake for me. The following year, she had to have her own. 10 years later, she is now on Spyder #3.

That's my story.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When our Spyder was new, my wife went for a spin with me just around the neighborhood, and she said; This is like a carnival thrill ride! Mind you, she has well over 150K miles as a two wheel passenger. Now that she knows what to expect and what a passenger does to participate, she is good with riding on the Spyder.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My wife's comments when we rode the 2011 RT were quite negative. She noted a stiffer suspension and the known effects of the absence of centripetal force when cornering.
    I solved the suspension issue and on the advice of our colleagues at spyderlovers improved the smoothness of the ride when cornering to minimize the effects.
    With the F3 Ltd, I also added some armrests that give her a more secure and comfortable feeling in the support and grip of her arms and for now everything is going well for her.
    In the Spyder the passenger should not get carried away, he will be more comfortable if he anticipates the turns and leans towards the side of the curve to compensate for the centrifugal force.
    In fact, Spyders are not motorcycles.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 2020 RTL coming off a GW RoadSmith conversion. The GW seat is obviously a bit more comfy because it's more roomy, but the wife has zero problems with the the RTL seat. We did get the butt buffers which makes the ride more enjoyable. One problem, if you get the arm rests, they turn outward for the passenger to mount and it is way short of wide enough for comfortable mount. Earlier models folded up which made the mount way more easy. Hope an after market comes along that allows the new arm rests swing wider.

Spyder Garage

I am willing to bet if you get her a nice set of armrests, and make sure her foot pegs or floor boards are adjusted right for her, she will be riding back there like the queen she is, smelling the roses!!! Good luck, be safe!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quick add to my previous, the Spyder RTL suspension is so totally superior to the GW that the ride on the Spyder RTL pillion is 'very nice' as the wife says.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    A quick add to my previous, the Spyder RTL suspension is so totally superior to the GW that the ride on the Spyder RTL pillion is 'very nice' as the wife says.
    Good to know. I test drove a GW once. 1984 or so. The ergos were never for me. So I did Venture Touring, Kawasaki Voyager Touring, Kawi 1500, and Kawi 2000. Nothing beats the RT's or F3L's IMO of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Traveler

Spyder Garage

Navymom here. I have been sitting in the passenger seat of our many bikes for 40 years and LOTS of miles. I like our 2015RT and find it all day comfortable. We have logged many 700+ miles days on it. We did a test ride on wet roads so the first thing I insisted upon was a flap for the rear tire. Our 2015 threw water up on my back and helmet, a flap fixed that little issue. The second thing I had to adjust to was leaning. Yes, I lean when we go around corners even though the bike doesn't. Leaning a bit at the waist lessens the feeling of centrifugal force trying to spit me off the bike. I have added armrests and recently a set of adjustable footrests for my comfort. I have the stock seat with a sheepskin cover that works just great for me. Hubby doesn't like music or phones while riding so he installed a XM radio and I have it bluetoothed to my Sena headset. I can get my tunes, answer phone, or talk to hubby. Wind and buffeting aren't really an issue for me, but everyone is different. I like a bit of wind because I like motorcycle riding. Some folks want the same comfort as riding in the car, why not just take the car? One thing I don't care for is the Nanny kicking in hard enough to slam me into hubby. He tends to ride aggressively and Nanny kicks in a lot. We have had Goldwings, Bmw's, Triumphs, and Valkyries and if metal wasn't dragging we weren't going fast enough. Can't drag anything on the RT, but sure can tick off Nanny. Riding for the passenger is just like riding for the rider. It takes time to get the feel of what is comfy and what isn't.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Navymom here. I have been sitting in the passenger seat of our many bikes for 40 years and LOTS of miles. I like our 2015RT and find it all day comfortable. We have logged many 700+ miles days on it.........Leaning a bit at the waist lessens the feeling of centrifugal force trying to spit me off the bike. I have added armrests and recently a set of adjustable footrests for my comfort. I have the stock seat with a sheepskin cover that works just great for me. Hubby doesn't like music or phones while riding so he installed a XM radio and I have it bluetoothed to my Sena headset. I can get my tunes, answer phone, or talk to hubby. Wind and buffeting aren't really an issue for me, but everyone is different. I like a bit of wind because I like motorcycle riding.
    Thank you to everyone for your responses to my questions! And NavyMom, we really appreciate the first-person perspective you have provided!

As many have suggested, we certainly will be test riding prior to signing a deal - that's just too much money to assume we'll enjoy it. However, it certainly seems clear that as a long distance touring ride, we're not likely to be disappointed.

I also think the suggestions about arm rests are good, particularly for those 500+ mile days. But as bikerbillone pointed out, an after-market alternative that provides an easier on/off experience might be the thing to look (wait) for.

I will share all of your feedback with my passenger-through-all-life-throws-at-us and let you know how this plays out! Thank you to this community for being available and so willing to help!

Steven

Spyder Garage

There is a short vid posted by,I believe,pennyrick that shows her method of getting on. That is how my wife does it now and it's easy for her.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Woods, is this the fold up or swing out arm rests?

Spyder Garage

Swingouts I believe but her method is easy peasy for either!

Spyder Garage

My wife loves going with me on rides, she sleeps back there at least half of the ride, even if it's pouring down rain.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

My wife has ridden on the back of all of my street bikes and dirt bikes as well.She says the RT is the most comfortable of all of them,GW included.She is held in nicely by the BRP armrests and falls asleep sometimes like she has on most every bike Ive had.She says there's something about the overall body position thats just more comfortable that the others.She does keep the floorboards all the way up bc shes 5,2.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, I can relate, wifey is just under 5' and keeps foot rests in the top stops, loves compact pillion with arm rests.

Spyder Garage

The tips given here have been very helpful for us. I am calling today to start the process for a 2021 RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic with Heated Comfort Seat. We are going from an '06 GL1800 that I've put almost 125k miles on including our trip to the Grand Canyon and back. That was ~4300 miles over two weeks on US 70 out (from near Knoxville, TN) and US 60 back. In our late 60s with a few too many pounds, my enjoyment was decreasing from the trepidation of gravel in turn, parking lots, etc. By myself it's fine but when two-up it gets really dicey. Judy had minor problems mounting the demo last week, but after the suggestions here she is ready. At least 50% of my enjoyment of the GoldWing was having her with me, so I have to make sure she gets comfy quick. I'll probably get the BRP arm rests to help her comfort in the saddle. It took her a bit on the GoldWing to sit straight with the bike and let it plant her in the seat. She knows it will take her a bit to learn to lean on the Spyder. I'll put the GL1800 up for sale. As attatched to it as we have become, I take the attitude of Captain Jack Sparrow "It's just a ship, mate".
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Ever since the spyder came along, my wife's primary question to me on ANY "reasonable" weather day is........Why isn't the Spyder out yet and where are we going?
    I just say something like..... "I can't find my glasses" !
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Good info here. Have had my 2014 Spyder RT LE for just over two weeks, and put some 1100 Kms on it mostly two up. Sonya mentioned that the ride is quite similar to the 1500 Goldwing I just sold, but cornering is different. The ride on my '85 1200 Goldwing Limited Edition is quite good, better than the 1500, very close to the Spyder.

First order was to install passenger arm rest - chose the Show Chrome armrests because these are an easy install, no holes to drill, swing out of the way. She feels safer and these give her that cockpit feeling. Having adjustable foot rests helps as well. The Spyder came with the beefier sway bar that helps flatten the roll when cornering. Thinking about upgrading the OEM front shocks to further flatten the curve so to speak.

We find the ride very good, don't feel the road bumps as much, know that these are there but the suspension is different from a two wheel. Going to change the stock seat for a comfort seat mainly because I'm a taller rider, 6'2", and the leg placement and foot brake use will be better. Lots of room for Sonya as well - tried a comfort seat that was on a similar Spyder - wouldn't consider the comfort seat unless Sonya was comfortable.

Sonya's overall impression is that the ride is very good, even though the rider/driver sometimes misjudges the entry point into a corner. Cornering a Spyder is similar to a two wheel in that there is an optimum corner entry point that makes cornering easier, miss this and the corner can be a bit of work. Will get better at it as time goes on.

As mentioned, we have Sena communicators. Sonya will not ride if not charged. Feels isolated in the pillion seat. I like the quiet of riding but she likes to chat. I sometimes ask if she has fallen asleep yet, did this quite often on the 1500 GW. Enjoy the fact she wants to ride.

I like to have a well maintained vehicle, bike, car or whatever, but the underlying theme will always be to ensure that Sonya feels safe, will enjoy the ride and believes the ride is going to be trouble-free no matter where we go. So far so good.

As Pidjones and others have commented, Sonya's happy, intend to keep it that way. Lets me play as I want to as well.

Cheers
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest