Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Windscreen tint suggestions?

I currently have a stock height F4 windscreen on my 2021 RT. Summer here in NC gets a bit warm so I bought another F4 windscreen in the short size. (Both were on their garage sale page. Great deals.) The stock height windscreen came tinted which I love. The shorty is clear. (Both have vents which I know I'll have to remove before tinting.) I want to tint it. The only thing I can think of is to spray the back side with VHT Nite Shades. Is there a better way to do this? Has anybody tinted a windscreen with the VHT stuff? Best way to do this? Cons?

My other thought since this is a shorty windscreen that I don't think I'd ever actually look through is to try to find some paint in a spray can that matches the bike (Petrol Metallic, I think...blue) and cover the back of the windscreen w/that. Thoughts?

I'm guessing it will be warm enough to spray this (or something else) in the next month or so. I'm trying to be proactive.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how the police would feel about you painting it. I think I would ask before finding out the hard way.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I'm not sure how the police would feel about you painting it. I think I would ask before finding out the hard way.
    Agreed!
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally I don't think I'd want to make anything anywhere in my line vision to be opaque. You said you "I don't think I'd ever actually look through"
    which to my mind means it isn't way down low. Maybe just try some of the tint material first.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

PlastiDip if you don't like it just peel it off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I doubt the police would care but that's a good suggestion, especially if someone was living in one of our more resrictive states. There are plenty of crotch rockets around here with painted "windscreens" (although those aren't much more than a wind deflector).

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Personally I don't think I'd want to make anything anywhere in my line vision to be opaque. You said you "I don't think I'd ever actually look through"
    which to my mind means it isn't way down low. Maybe just try some of the tint material first.
    It's 2" shorter than the stock RT windscreen. Lowered all the way, I doubt it would do much more than deflect wind over (most of) me. I'm tall enough that I can see over the stock height windscreen at full up. I get your point, though. If it started raining and I wanted to raise it up, I wouldn't be able to see through it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    PlastiDip if you don't like it just peel it off.
    Interesting but it would have to go on the back of the windscreen. I'd have to cut out for the places where it mounts to the bike.

=====================

So, I'm back to spraying tint on it, I guess. Has anyone ever used this stuff? I've watched a few videos and all of them talk about adding a few coats of clearcoat, too. Not sure I want to get that involved in this. I wonder if window tint film would work?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2023 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Rule 2

Spyder Garage

My Spyder windshield is painted black. But I can see over it. It's been this way since 2009. Never a problem. I think it would depend on the size and location of the windshield. But typical tint film will not adhere well to a polycarbonate shield. They expand, contract, and flex too much.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Consider "Plexi-film", from windowtint.com; they claim it works for plastic windows. I'm assuming it can be applied "old school": w/ dishsoap/water solution and a soft squee-gee.

I have been told that multiple layers of film can applied to achieve darker shades. (please experiment first, I have only done one layer of tint on autoglass and the "woody" apps on old Ford station wagons!)

I'd not worry about law enforcement, they are concerned with ability to see into a vehicle; not a worry with a trike.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    Consider "Plexi-film", from windowtint.com; they claim it works for plastic windows. I'm assuming it can be applied "old school": w/ dishsoap/water solution and a soft squee-gee.

I have been told that multiple layers of film can applied to achieve darker shades. (please experiment first, I have only done one layer of tint on autoglass and the "woody" apps on old Ford station wagons!)

I'd not worry about law enforcement, they are concerned with ability to see into a vehicle; not a worry with a trike.
    and was going to suggest the same thing ... but He beat me to it .... I have seen this and similar stuff sold in various Auto Parts stores ... I t comes in many shades and colors even chrome and gold ...... back in the day I had one of the orig. style Mazda RX-7's .... and the large back window glass allowed the interior to get pretty hot even with the AC at full blast, so I bought and applied the Chrome type window tint .... no more heat issue ....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Addendum to my earlier post.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything reflective and I would install on the backside of the windscreen, using the polycarbonate as a shield.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    and was going to suggest the same thing ... but He beat me to it .... I have seen this and similar stuff sold in various Auto Parts stores ... I t comes in many shades and colors even chrome and gold ...... back in the day I had one of the orig. style Mazda RX-7's .... and the large back window glass allowed the interior to get pretty hot even with the AC at full blast, so I bought and applied the Chrome type window tint .... no more heat issue ....good luck .... Mike
    Addendum to my earlier post.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything reflective and I would install on the backside of the windscreen, using the polycarbonate as a shield.
    Thanks, guys. I'll look at the local auto parts stores. At windowtint.com, it appears you have to buy it in bulk starting at about $200. I don't need that much.

I don't want anything reflective. Those cagers can't seem the way it is. I'd hate to blind them, too. (Or more than they already are.) I'd definitely put it behind the windscreen.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The plastic dip method is what I did for mine. I even did it for a tall windshield. I let it fade out as I worked my way toward the top, and left that clear. I am very happy with the way it came out. The spray on tint will not work well. I have tried it, and it looks like crap. Plastic dip on the back side, and maybe have to reapply it in 3-4 years if needed.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The plastic dip method is what I did for mine. I even did it for a tall windshield. I let it fade out as I worked my way toward the top, and left that clear. I am very happy with the way it came out. The spray on tint will not work well. I have tried it, and it looks like crap. Plastic dip on the back side, and maybe have to reapply it in 3-4 years if needed.
    How many coats did you use?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default window tint

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Thanks, guys. I'll look at the local auto parts stores. At windowtint.com, it appears you have to buy it in bulk starting at about $200. I don't need that much.

I don't want anything reflective. Those cagers can't seem the way it is. I'd hate to blind them, too. (Or more than they already are.) I'd definitely put it behind the windscreen.
    ... I bought mine at the Auto Parts store maybe 24" x 72" inches .... My application of the Chrome style was only for the FLAT rear window ... that chrome on the windshield wouldn't be a good idea .... good luck .... PS the window tint is removeable ---- painting it ISN'T .....Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    i currently have a stock height f4 windscreen on my 2021 rt. Summer here in nc gets a bit warm so i bought another f4 windscreen in the short size. (both were on their garage sale page. Great deals.) the stock height windscreen came tinted which i love. The shorty is clear. (both have vents which i know i'll have to remove before tinting.) i want to tint it. The only thing i can think of is to spray the back side with vht nite shades. Is there a better way to do this? Has anybody tinted a windscreen with the vht stuff? Best way to do this? Cons?

My other thought since this is a shorty windscreen that i don't think i'd ever actually look through is to try to find some paint in a spray can that matches the bike (petrol metallic, i think...blue) and cover the back of the windscreen w/that. Thoughts?

I'm guessing it will be warm enough to spray this (or something else) in the next month or so. I'm trying to be proactive.
    madstad.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    madstad.com
    Care to elaborate, Dave? Does Madstad sell something to tint windscreens? I didn't see anything like that on their site.

Spyder Garage

From a safety standpoint of decreasing the windscreen structural integrity, be very careful about what chemicals you apply to the windscreen. Some windscreens are Acrylic, while others are Polycarbonate. The solvents and aromatics within the paints or spray on products may etch, craze, attack, or even melt the plastic.

As for tint films, I have inquired about those with the pros that install that stuff. From experience they explain it is designed for glass and does not work well or hold up on plastics. Maybe that is incorrect if there is a plastic film specific for plastics. Realize too, it needs to have the ability to easily follow the curved surface.

All the best with it. May have been simply better to purchase the windscreen already tinted and pay more, but maybe not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    All the best with it. May have been simply better to purchase the windscreen already tinted and pay more, but maybe not.
    Thanks. Ultimately, I can live with a clear windscreen. I'd just prefer not to. It'll be short enough that tinting won't affect the sun. I bought it as I was looking for a shorty windscreen, I think the F4 windscreens are great (as I already have one) and I only paid ~$150.

I'll contact F4 to see if they have any suggestions and/or if they can tell me what products will harm the windscreen.

Spyder Garage

Long shot in the dark. Maybe the wrap my spyder folks can do something custom.

Spyder Garage

How many coats did you use?
    Anywhere from 3-4 coats. The thing that I found with the plastic dip is that the more coats you put on it, the better it looks. The thicker you apply it, also helps with covering inperfections. I will see if I can find a picture where I just did the bottom area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anywhere from 3-4 coats. The thing that I found with the plastic dip is that the more coats you put on it, the better it looks. The thicker you apply it, also helps with covering inperfections. I will see if I can find a picture where I just did the bottom area.
    Thanks. Guess I never bothered to look at your windscreen when I was there last year. If I don't do something with my windscreen before I see you again, I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm in your area. (Warm temps are coming soon!)

Spyder Garage

Thanks. Guess I never bothered to look at your windscreen when I was there last year. If I don't do something with my windscreen before I see you again, I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm in your area. (Warm temps are coming soon!)
    As soon as I can get a verification that the BRP is open, and once time changes next month, I plan on doing a day trip to the Little Switzerland area. I will post up before I go and maybe you can join us.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As soon as I can get a verification that the BRP is open, and once time changes next month, I plan on doing a day trip to the Little Switzerland area. I will post up before I go and maybe you can join us.
    Sounds like a plan. I don't expect the Parkway to be fully open until the end of next month or the beginning of April but maybe it'll be open that far south.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Long shot in the dark. Maybe the wrap my spyder folks can do something custom.
    I called them. They have a film type tint that might work. They said it's primarily for tinting headlights/taillights (so it curves well) but only comes 24" wide. The windscreen is 22 3/4" tall so I'll call them next week to see if they can hook me up.