Spyder Garage

Default USB Charger For 2020 RT-L

What's everyone using to go into the blank switch hole for a usb charger?

I thought I knew what I wanted but when I went to install it, it was too small. This is what I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would rather have something that "fits" into the blank hole like it should rather than to jerry rig it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know the correct size (although it's been mentioned a few times). I would NOT use anything that has an always on voltmeter. That's drawing current 24/7 and may eventually drain your battery. I'd check with Lamonster to see what he has that might work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I don't know the correct size (although it's been mentioned a few times). I would NOT use anything that has an always on voltmeter. That's drawing current 24/7 and may eventually drain your battery. I'd check with Lamonster to see what he has that might work.
    I was going to wire it to only work with the switch on but thanks anyways.

Spyder Garage

Forget about the blank switch cover for USB. Instead get a USB splitter for your glove box and power up 2 devices at once. I can either power my camera, TomTom GPS or my Iphone at the same time depending on my needs that day. Save the blank switch cover for an on/off switch for an auxiliary light or optional driving lights. My opinion only......as we all know everyone has one.
    Currently, I'm in the process of acquiring and installing one of the coolest lights I've ever seen on a motorcycle. Pictures to come.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I ordered the garage door opener for my empty slot on mine. Cant wait to get it.

When it comes to USB you want to be carful because the USB in the dash box is used for data and power. When you split it you should have one cable for data and one for power as it splits power. I will say if you have an iPhone and do this good luck if you want to use BPConnect and charge your phone and another device with a splitter.

What I did was hardwire a USB power controller and added it to my dash box. So I still have the dedicated one for data and two unsplit powered ones for devices. I added 2 accessory fuse blocks. One is on a relay and one is constant so I can choose if I want it powered when the bike is off. It was just cheaper then ordering a $200 block that did both. I am not going to tell you what block I wired it to so I don't get yelled on here by people!!

Here is what I have.
    https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Femal...4113654&sr=8-3
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post

I thought I knew what I wanted but when I went to install it, it was too small. This is what I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would rather have something that "fits" into the blank hole like it should rather than to jerry rig it.
    I have the same issue. Did you ever find anything that works. I am thinking of cutting the existing blank and installing the switch in the cutout
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoguzziman View Post
    I have the same issue. Did you ever find anything that works. I am thinking of cutting the existing blank and installing the switch in the cutout
    That is exactly what I did. Well me and my dremel tool.

Spyder Garage

I put a garage door opener in my blank location. Very happy I did.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Although he's not a forum sponsor, Pierre at www.canamspyderaccessories.com has one that fits the blank switch space on pre-2020 RTs. Can't guarantee it will fit the 2020 an 2021 RT's, however, but it might be worth a website visit. Click on "RT Installation/Product Videos," scroll down and click on "RT-Dual USB Charger."
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure the pre 2020s have the shorter cutout. The cutout on my 2020 is ~ 22mm wide x 45mm long. Most of the USB ports that I found online are 21 x 36.5. So, while it is the same width, it is not the same length.

What I did is take the dummy cover and removed most of the material with a Dremel. I trimmed the tabs off the USB port, sanded both surfaces and then used some super glue and attached the hollowed out dummy blank to the USB port (clamped for 12 hours). Then the 2 pieces are in essence one unit which fits the cutout and it snaps in just like the dummy blank. It rides a little proud compared to the rest of the switches but not really noticeable unless you are looking at it.

While I had the bike opened up to wire it, I also wired up a powerport socket just below the radio controls. I plan to run my heated gear from this port next winter.

I run both off an ignition triggered relay using my GPS hot wire as the trigger. 15amp fused circuit direct to battery and 14 gauge (copper) wire throughout.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you keep the polarity correct at all times (even when testing) or you will fry the USB Port (DHMHIK). Both of the ones that I bought were poorly marked (+/-) so I assumed polarity didn't matter.

There is a metal bracket on the bike just inside the left side tupperware panels which worked great to mount the relay. Sanded some of the paint off the bracket around the hole I use to mount the relay and attached the device ground wire to the same bolt.

Suggest you use a lot of zip ties and if you need to tape any wires, use friction tape (like the factory) instead of electrical tape because friction tape is a lot easier to remove should you or someone else need to remove or replace any of this stuff. I also used bullet connectors for all wires going to the relay just in case the relay goes bad and I need to replace it.

USB Port #2: This one has an orange back light to match the OEM switches - DUAL LED CHARGER PORT
    USB Port #1: This one would be virtually waterproof because of the rubber cap design but no backlight - DUAL USB PORT I "fried" this one and then bought #2 above because this one was out of stock at the time.
    RELAY: No longer available but I see similar ones still on Amazon - RELAY w/trigger

Install Pics:

IMG_20210321_1320150.jpg
    IMG_20210328_0850031.jpg
    IMG_20210328_0850126.jpg
    IMG_20210328_0850310.jpg
    IMG_20210328_0850379.jpg
    IMG_20210219_1304583.jpg
    IMG_20210219_1305059.jpg
    IMG_20210219_1305231.jpg
    IMG_20210318_1701225.jpg

I also carry a cigarette lighter USB port with a dongle to connect to my battery tender - I use this when the bike is off and I can charge things in my frunk while I am eating lunch or whatever.

Capture.jpg
    Capture1.jpg (I use a CTEK brand battery tender cable - this is just an example of what I use. An SAE cable does the same thing.)

BTW, I have never used the USB port in the dash compartment. The compartment is so small I cannot get my phone and a cable in there and still close the lid. I pushed the wires all the way to the bottom and I use the compartment solely for my wallet, my phone, my micro garage door opener (velcro-d to the side of the compartment) and a bottle of Purrell . IMHO, the USB and 3.5mm jack should have been placed in a compartment in one of the side bags - where there is a lot more room.

Spyder Garage

K80shooter, Was the hole too small or the USB switch too small?
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I put a garage door opener in my slot. Got it from https://www.foxtrot4x4.com/ a Spyderlover.com advertiser. A very nice addition.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    K80shooter, Was the hole too small or the USB switch too small?
    The switch is too small for the hole.

I do like the charger a lot plus you get to instantly know exactly what the alternator is putting out. I got the one with the blue light as that matched my bike but there is a red version also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I put a garage door opener in my slot. Got it from https://www.foxtrot4x4.com/ a Spyderlover.com advertiser. A very nice addition.
    Same here.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Same here.

Steve
    Glad it worked but thats not what I wanted to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Same here.

Steve
    Carling Switch makes and adapter that will allow snap into the existing hole and allow you to fit the standard size USB to fit in nicely. I have drawing from Carling but have been unable to find anyone that has them in stock The Carling part number is CVA-01.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoguzziman View Post
    Carling Switch makes and adapter that will allow snap into the existing hole and allow you to fit the standard size USB to fit in nicely. I have drawing from Carling but have been unable to find anyone that has them in stock The Carling part number is CVA-01.
    That's the same outcome for me, No body has them.

Spyder Garage

That's the same outcome for me, No body has them.
    Check with: https://www.foxtrot4x4.com/

Frank was able to get me the switch I wanted. He might be able to help you.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk