Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kangaroo at 120mph

Here’s what happens when you hit a ’Roo at 120mph.....warning, the Roo is not a pretty sight.
    They make those Victory’s tough. That’s the rider standing next to the bike. He hit the Roo dead on and did not even come off, but the bike was a write off, as was the Roo, as you can tell. The Roo was a big bugger, at over 6’. They wheeled the Victory into the back of the support truck, wheeled out a fresh one (it was a “press” ride), and off they went again.

Pete
    8D8B5EA4-C009-4A9A-AEA2-CAD2DA3B8CA4.jpeg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I T-boned a 200 lb deer on my 3 month old Tiger 1200 2 yrs ago going ~40mph. Almost cut her in half. Shattered the beak and fender plus road rash on left tupperware but still ridable after re-aligning bars. I went head 1st over the screen and only got a bruised hip & ripped gear. Rode home 50 miles @70mph but they still totaled the bike because it was so new the replacement parts weren't available. The deer didn't fair any better.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did I read that right? 120 MPH, not KPH?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Did I read that right? 120 MPH, not KPH?
    Yeah, the Northern Territory has no speed limit on the open highway, Possible. He was doing 190kph. It’s several hundred kms between towns out there��. You only slow down for Road Trains (a biiiiiig Prime Mover towing 4 or so trailers). If you see them coming in the distance, you come to a stop and get way off the road

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Bummer that the Vic was totaled, but finding the painted parts would likely be a nightmare..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Here’s what happens when you hit a ’Roo at 120mph.....warning, the Roo is not a pretty sight.
    They make those Victory’s tough. That’s the rider standing next to the bike. He hit the Roo dead on and did not even come off, but the bike was a write off, as was the Roo, as you can tell. The Roo was a big bugger, at over 6’. They wheeled the Victory into the back of the support truck, wheeled out a fresh one (it was a “press” ride), and off they went again.

Pete
    He was damned lucky that he hit it 'dead on', cos if he hadn't, there's every likelihood the outcome would've been a whoooole lot different for him!! Probably not much different for the roo tho!

Altho I guess the size & mass of the Victory would've helped (a lot?!? ) - being as large as those machines are, it'd take a fair whack of 'off-centre' hit to de-stabilise one of them, especially if it was being ridden by a reasonably competent rider... Still, a roo that big travelling at the speed it (the roo) was likely moving at, that's gonna be a whooole SHED-LOAD of de-stabilising force! I've seen riders (& their bikes too) end up more'n 200 yards off the road thru thick scrub due to a 'slightly off-centre' wallaby hit, let alone a 'not quite dead-on' collision with a full sized roo travelling at speed!! I still try to avoid actively recalling some of the results of roo/bike collisions I've seen tho - and not cos the roo was 'not a pretty sight' &/or a bit messy either!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete
    8D8B5EA4-C009-4A9A-AEA2-CAD2DA3B8CA4.jpeg
    I investigated multiple thousands of accidents in my 37 year police career ..... and I was a trained and court certified accident expert .... sorry but I'm not buying 120 mph or anything close ..... based on that pic ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I investigated multiple thousands of accidents in my 37 year police career ..... and I was a trained and court certified accident expert .... sorry but I'm not buying 120 mph or anything close ..... based on that pic ..... Mike
    You know...... I was thinking the same thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was the reason I questioned KPH or MPH.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure which to feel more bad for - that Gorgeous Victory Magnum - or the Roo. Glad the rider was okay. Love my Victory Vision and my Spyder F3S. Couldn't imagine giving either one of them up.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

You were lucky to be alive if you are on 120 mph or close. But as per the Motorcycle condition, it looks like you were on 100 KPH.
    Feeling bad about Roo's death.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    You know...... I was thinking the same thing.
    Yea, me also!

Spyder Garage

Don't shoot the messenger guys, Peteoz is just posting the info he has available about an incident someone else experienced & that was fairly widely reported amongst a section of the community at the time. And remember, on some of the roads in the Northern Territory, 120 MPH is not only possible, it's often reached - AND speeds like often feel pretty necessary to get anywhere when you're out there in the wide open spaces! If you don't travel that fast, you can add many hours if not a couple of days to your travel time between cities!!

Besides, unlike the animals in the rest of the world, our marsupials tend to be pretty tough critters - eg, hitting a 'medium dog' sized wombat at just about any speed is an invitation to ripping diffs &/or running gear right out from under your car!! And altho many kangaroos do get killed when hit by motor vehicles, many more just bounce off & continue bounding away into the bush! So most 'normal speed' Kangaroo strikes by motorcycles (or cars) don't usually disembowel the animal, they generally tend to break limbs & necks/spines more than anything else (albeit sometimes on both the striker & the strikee!! ) Which means to see a completely gutted kangaroo wrapped around the front of any bike is pretty rare, and almost certainly an indication that the machine was travelling somewhat faster than 'normal' - and out in the NT's wide open spaces, 'normal' speeds do tend get up there! But from what I can see in that pic, it really does look like that particular machine was travelling somewhat faster than just 120 kph....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

To those questioning the speed, I would suggest you rethink. The rider/writer is a man of unquestioned integrity, who only rides as fast as a bike will go. All four riders, two on Cross Countrys, and two on Visions, were deliberately winding them right out on a loooong straight. The other riders travelling behind were travelling at the same speed and confirmed it.

Boris himself does not know how he survived.......as an ex sargeant at arms for the Bandido, he may be abrasive, but the man can ride and is at home both on the open road and track days. He has nothing to prove and does NOT lie.....he has no need to.

So whatever thoughts you are using to determine in your own mind that he was lying about his speed really need to be revisited.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

120 KPH is still nearly 75 MPH. Which to my mind looks more likely. Considering no plastic damage on the fairing, no broken headlight, no guts
    splattered up on the windshield, no buckled fender, no bent forks. I've hit deer at highway speeds and the damage done to metal body parts
    is amazing. There is lying, and there is simply mistaken. I think he's simply mistaken. Unlikely he was looking at his speedometer when the...stuff..
    hit the fan.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Travelling 120mph and hitting even a bird would do a hell of a lot more damage to that bike. Not to mention he being able to stand next to the poor Roo or even standing at all for that matter. I guess there really are miracles in this world.
    I bet he needed a change of shorts when he got home.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    120 KPH is still nearly 75 MPH. Which to my mind looks more likely. Considering no plastic damage on the fairing, no broken headlight, no guts
    splattered up on the windshield, no buckled fender, no bent forks. I've hit deer at highway speeds and the damage done to metal body parts
    is amazing. There is lying, and there is simply mistaken. I think he's simply mistaken. Unlikely he was looking at his speedometer when the...stuff..
    hit the fan.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    So you are basing your theory on a single photograph, a deer which is a completely different body shape to a roo, and the fact that you assume he was not looking at his speedo, Possible...... give me a break. He was indeed watching his speedo as that was the idea as the Victory had the Victory Stage 4 engine mods and they wanted to see the top speed.....and he was still short of it. There are no guts as a roo carries all its weight down low, and if you look a bit closer at the rear, you will see guts alone were spread way down the road.

Yep, we will have to disagree. I can’t believe how many people can look at a single photo and claim to know EVERYTHING about an accident based on that photo, when in real life, the variances of the particular incident are what really counts.

Make up any theory you like. I will continue to believe the version of the people who were actually involved, as THEY all have credibility.......and don’t worry, I won’t be posting any stories again. I’m sick of people who just want to see their name in lights by espousing unsubstantiated counter theories just for the heck of it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Travelling 120mph and hitting even a bird would do a hell of a lot more damage to that bike. Not to mention he being able to stand next to the poor Roo or even standing at all for that matter. I guess there really are miracles in this world.
    I bet he needed a change of shorts when he got home.
    Valk, he is a 6’2” 280lb Serbian, who is just about the toughest bloke I know. If anyone would still be standing after a collision it would be him. He is full of bits of metal plates. �� .... and yes, he did change his shorts when they reached the next town.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Try reading this......If you still want to make up theories, well, that’s your call of course...and yes, it was only 180kph when he actually HIT the ‘roo.

https://www.aussiebikeorhike.com/pos...e-and-personal

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think Pete maybe screwing with us just to see how big a rise he can get out of us disbelievers. My guess is that they all stopped for a break to check out this roadkill. Then they decided to drape it over the front fender of someone's bike and take a photo of it, as a joke. Kind of like something I would do. :-) Nice job, guys I like it. Of course Pete, this is just an unsubstantiated counter-theory so don't take offence and go away, you do post some good threads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think Pete maybe screwing with us just to see how big a rise he can get out of us disbelievers. My guess is that they all stopped for a break to check out this roadkill. Then they decided to drape it over the front fender of someone's bike and take a photo of it, as a joke. Kind of like something I would do. :-) Nice job, guys I like it. Of course Pete, this is just an unsubstantiated counter-theory so don't take offence and go away, you do post some good threads.
    Hahaha... have a read of the actual story in the post above yours, 2dogs. You may get a chuckle out of what he calls those who come up with “staged” theories.....and I’m am not one to try to get a”rise” out of people. I have always found that a bit small minded....except for Aussie Drop Bear theories of course
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Hahaha... have a read of the actual story in the post above yours, 2dogs. You may get a chuckle out of what he calls those who come up with “staged” theories.....and I’m am not one to try to get a”rise” out of people. I have always found that a bit small minded....except for Aussie Drop Bear theories of course
    Peteoz,

You are the man when it comes to telling it like it is, and not throwing out guesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_b...e:Dropbear.jpg

Looks like our Yorkie when she gets upset.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well he was going fast enough to kill the Garu and split it wide open.. So lets say he was going fast. No need for a debate..

But man that had to have been scary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Well he was going fast enough to kill the Garu and split it wide open.. So lets say he was going fast. No need for a debate..
    But man that had to have been scary
    Yeah, if you read the story about it in post#19, he found it just a bit “unsettling”, Triker. There is no way I would have got on another bike to complete that leg.......but Boris is made of sterner stuff
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ykrrbFK3k

Too soon???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic