Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think Pete maybe screwing with us just to see how big a rise he can get out of us disbelievers. My guess is that they all stopped for a break to check out this roadkill. Then they decided to drape it over the front fender of someone's bike and take a photo of it, as a joke. Kind of like something I would do. :-) Nice job, guys I like it. Of course Pete, this is just an unsubstantiated counter-theory so don't take offence and go away, you do post some good threads.
    I didn't want to let my mind go that far ...... but after studying that bike ( picture ) I think this is closer to factual than previously reported ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

OK....I posted the actual story in in Post #19, but obviously no one has bothered reading that before continuing to post, so I will try once more...... please read this attachment before commenting further. Then, if you don’t believe the story as written by Boris himself that’s fine.....but please remember....by casting aspersions on the validity of my original post, you are calling me a liar, and since I research everything I post prior to doing so, I really DO take offence at that.....
    https://www.aussiebikeorhike.com/pos...e-and-personal

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a liar, merely mistaken, on several points: you mentioned 120 MPH, close but not quite. You also mentioned the bike was a
    write-off. It wasn't, according to what I read, they had yet to decide that until after it was checked out, but it looked to be
    mostly cosmetic damage. And they unloaded an Indian, not another Victory. The size of the animal in question is uncertain,
    you mention 6 feet, he mentioned it was medium sized but measured 3 meters laid out on the ground, that would be closer to 9 feet.

Again, not a liar, just mistaken on a few points.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So you are basing your theory on a single photograph, a deer which is a completely different body shape to a roo, and the fact that you assume he was not looking at his speedo, Possible...... give me a break. He was indeed watching his speedo as that was the idea as the Victory had the Victory Stage 4 engine mods and they wanted to see the top speed.....and he was still short of it. There are no guts as a roo carries all its weight down low, and if you look a bit closer at the rear, you will see guts alone were spread way down the road.

Yep, we will have to disagree. I can’t believe how many people can look at a single photo and claim to know EVERYTHING about an accident based on that photo, when in real life, the variances of the particular incident are what really counts.

Make up any theory you like. I will continue to believe the version of the people who were actually involved, as THEY all have credibility.......and don’t worry, I won’t be posting any stories again. I’m sick of people who just want to see their name in lights by espousing unsubstantiated counter theories just for the heck of it.

Pete
    Pete please don't stop with the stories,I love them. And I am sure many of the rest of us do too. Forget about what anybody else says or believes. You know what is what and that is all that counts. Strange things happen in this old world so who knows. "There's Strange things done in the midnight sun " The cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, if you read the story about it in post#19, he found it just a bit “unsettling”, Triker. There is no way I would have got on another bike to complete that leg.......but Boris is made of sterner stuff
    Yeah I read that part too. It sure was something nobody wants to be involved in thats for sure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Not a liar, merely mistaken, on several points: you mentioned 120 MPH, close but not quite. You also mentioned the bike was a
    write-off. It wasn't, according to what I read, they had yet to decide that until after it was checked out, but it looked to be
    mostly cosmetic damage. And they unloaded an Indian, not another Victory. The size of the animal in question is uncertain,
    you mention 6 feet, he mentioned it was medium sized but measured 3 meters laid out on the ground, that would be closer to 9 feet.

Again, not a liar, just mistaken on a few points.
    Possible, have you ever considered seeing a psychologist for your OCD?. It appears you have read the blog with the sole intent of finding flaws in individual sentences and words.
    Just to clarify......I spoke to Boris a few weeks after his accident. He was doing just under 190, so he called it 180 in his blog. When they got back to the workshop, the bike was written off. True, they unloaded an Indian, not another Victory, You got me “dead to rights” there Sheriff. Boris called it a mid sized roo....that’s around 6’. They only grow to 7’.....he was talking about the Roo being 9’ long after he had elongated it in the accident. The only thing I got wrong was the alternate bike they wheeled out
    You really DO need to get a life. Don’t bother responding to this, as I won’t be seeing any more of your argumentative posts on this site on virtually every thread. Life’s too short to be bothered with crap like that.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete, I agree with what Boris said..... "no need in buying a lottery ticket, he's used up his luck on this one. I do agree that all the stars lined up for him to walk away with only bruises. Keep 'em coming Pete!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I didn't want to let my mind go that far ...... but after studying that bike ( picture ) I think this is closer to factual than previously reported ..... Mike
    I noticed in the second photo there was a headlight ring placed in the photo. Not enough detail to determine damage. I live right smack in the middle of deer habitat and on a long long used migration route. The highway in front of my house is a 65 MPH (104 KMH) zone. I can't begin to even count the number of deer strikes I've come up upon and even witnessed in my 44 years of living here. My wife is the deer killer in our family, she's hit 3 of them. The extensive damage I've seen resulting in vehicle vs deer at 65 MPH + or - still leaves me sceptical about the velidity of this story and the photos. But, stranger things have happened.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I noticed in the second photo there was a headlight ring placed in the photo. Not enough detail to determine damage. I live right smack in the middle of deer habitat and on a long long used migration route. The highway in front of my house is a 65 MPH (104 KMH) zone. I can't begin to even count the number of deer strikes I've come up upon and even witnessed in my 44 years of living here. My wife is the deer killer in our family, she's hit 3 of them. The extensive damage I've seen resulting in vehicle vs deer at 65 MPH + or - still leaves me sceptical about the velidity of this story and the photos. But, stranger things have happened.
    Yeah, scepticism I can understand and accept, 2dogs, as does Boris.........but every one of those motorcycle journos with him published their own version of the events in their own mags, and they all pretty well married up.......mind you, some of those journos DO write some dodgy stuff, but most of them are as honest as the day is long, and you won’t find a straighter shooter than Boris........and having spoken to him, I certainly believe the speed he quoted was accurate. Roos are a significantly different body shape to deer, cattle, wombats etc.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

It's all in how the impact happened.

Hit a deer square with the front of company pickup at 55 and the only thing it did was leave little cracks in the grill with hair sticking out of them. Never had to fix or replace anything. Deer not so lucky.
    Hit another at about 50 and it almost destroyed that pickup. That dear ran off.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Think I might have an answer and if I do I want Skippy's award handed back pronto!(always thought he was sus for some reason).
    If you study how these critters move you can see they can get down pretty low.
    Now where is the first point of contact on the bike? Yes front wheel or rather rubber tyre with heaps of give backed up by a rim that would take a huge belting with little to show for it.Then up onto the triple tree another strong point and job done.
    The way Boris is laying into that butt is not a rig job, that is a man with a compensatory mechanism at work.
    I like kangaroos but I couldn't eat a whole one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    It's all in how the impact happened.

Hit a deer square with the front of company pickup at 55 and the only thing it did was leave little cracks in the grill with hair sticking out of them. Never had to fix or replace anything. Deer not so lucky.
    Hit another at about 50 and it almost destroyed that pickup. That dear ran off.
    Right on! I've seen that happen both ways multiple times. Go figure? One very important piece of advice. Never, never leave the pavement to avoid hitting a deer. At highway speeds when your tires leave the blacktop, you will have near "0" control of your vehicle. Better to total the front of your car than your body. I know of 2 fatalities that occurred within a mile of my house because drivers left the pavement to try and avoid a deer and a dog. I've drilled it into my wife's head over and over, kill the deer and kill the car, but don't kill yourself. Take'm straight on in your own lane under full control and braking power if you have to.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, Boris is no slouch on a racetrack, 2dogs, and he said he didn’t have time to do anything as the roo bounced out of the scrub right in front of him. He said he would have been gone if the roo had given him a second or two to react, as he would have automatically counter steered. He was just lucky he didn’t hit one of those 2’ tall, 120lb walking speed hump Wombats. He definitely would have been separated from his bike then, and would have been seriously injured or killed.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete, Great story. Enjoyed reading it. Part of the story is also on the Victory Owners Group Forum. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I just received this video in my feed. I had never seen the video between Brumby and Boris before discussing the “roo” incident. Brumby was riding directly behind Boris. Neither of them know how Boris survived, or how the Victory stayed upright. It’s an interesting discussion…..sometimes you have a “lucky” day.……..hopefully you can open it.

Pete

https://www.facebook.com/10000834144...0812731206751/
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Lets take the word of those who were there. Why argue with only a picture to look at?
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Hey Pete,

The gentleman on the left has an excellent choice in headware. Looks like a Mucros from Weavers workshop.

When he (the rider) dropped his drawers, I thought he was showing they needed changing.

Spyder Garage

Blood red is not my favorite color on a motorcycle!
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Wildlife lesson learned

The freeway wildlife situation in SoCal is pretty boring (thank goodness) but during a trip to Speed Week we commuted from Wells NV. And all the trucks looked like this:
    Deer guard.jpg
    I quickly learned why and driving a Windstar kept my speed down and tried to be a follower not a leader. Still got a rabbit.

One morning we left the freeway for some pictures and it was like we were in a deer petting zoo. If I lived in that neighborhood I would have kept my E350 and added a deer guard like the natives. KE = 1/2mv2 is unforgiving although in Boris's instance it was on his side.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It opened for me.

Spyder Garage

Here’s what happens when you hit a ’Roo at 120mph.....warning, the Roo is not a pretty sight.
    They make those Victory’s tough. That’s the rider standing next to the bike. He hit the Roo dead on and did not even come off, but the bike was a write off, as was the Roo, as you can tell. The Roo was a big bugger, at over 6’. They wheeled the Victory into the back of the support truck, wheeled out a fresh one (it was a “press” ride), and off they went again.

Pete
    Well, I have a 2000 pound bull on the grass strip and I totaled the freaking airplane. Hitting animals is not a good time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Lets take the word of those who were there. Why argue with only a picture to look at?
    Good words of wisdom. Heck of a story and a very lucky man. Let's not shoot the messenger. We don't need to question points that cannot be verified. The mph were listed in the article as KPH. He was at or near 120.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I don't know what a "Roo" weighs, but I have seen a lot of deer strikes.
    A friend hit one with his BMW in the 70s, killed the deer no damage to the bike.
    Another friend hit one with his big Susie cruiser last year and totaled the bike.
    A girl I worked with totaled her Crown Vic hitting one.
    Speed might have been what saved him, all that mass at speed would just keep going.
    There is a YouTube video showing a race car hitting one, tossed the deer 30 feet in the air and the car keep on going.
    Not that I am going to test this anytime soon, or hope to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I don't know what a "Roo" weighs.
    This one was around 6’ tall, Raven, so around 200lbs, with much of their weight down low (although biceps and pecs are pretty solid too
    2CD07F1C-ADB8-4A63-B43B-F4C26C3AEA85.jpeg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

This one was around 6’ tall, Raven, so around 200lbs, with much of their weight down low (although biceps and pecs are pretty solid too
    2CD07F1C-ADB8-4A63-B43B-F4C26C3AEA85.jpeg
    About the same size as a bambi.
    There is another video on youtube right now showing a guy on a Indian hitting a deer at 60mph and not going down.