Spyder Garage

Default Front shock upgrade wanted

I enjoy riding hard in the twisties and want better front shocks. I have looked at a number of ideas and now ask those who have made this upgrade to give your feedback.
    What did you use and how does it work for you?
    A little about me:
    Age 63
    weight 235
    I ride a 2010 RS ES5
    I thank you in advance for your input and knowledge. I hope to make a better informed decision after reading your posts.

Spyder Garage

Have you already upgraded the sway bar & properly adjusted the front shock pre-load to suit the better anti-roll characteristics that'll bring??? Do you even have adjustable pre-load front shocks, or have you at least fitted BajaRon's Shock Adjusters??

If you haven't already upgraded the sway bar & properly adjusted the front shock pre-load, then like most ryders who do, I'd expect you to be quite surprised at how much better & planted those two relatively cheap upgrades can make your ryding/Spyder feel! Well, they're definitely 'relatively cheap' when compared to the cost of most a/mkt shocks, anyway - and with no risk of needing to fund the on-going costs & suffer the down-time that frequently accompanies running many hi-performance a/mkt shocks due to their tendency to require regular re-builds!

Maybe you should talk to BajaRon before committing to spending too much money on any expensive a/mkt shocks? Your choice tho, and your $$
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I'm with Peter here. Do the front shock adjustment, the sway bar and add a really good set of front tires. You are going to need those things to get the most out of those expensive shocks anyway,so try them first. Happy riding.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I had a 2013 ST-S with a BajaRon Sway bar and links.
    First I installed BajaRon adjusters. That was a measurable improvement as the OEM springs were weak and the OEM shocks were mediocre at best. The adjusters helped alot.
    Second I installed Elka stage 2 springs and front shocks for a much better handling ride.
    Finally put Federal Formoza tires on the front and a General Altimax on the rear.
    Mission accomplished.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I did the tires and have Bajaron's swaybar. My shocks are adjusted as far as possible, tension at the max, still have a lot of "body roll."
    I have come to see that OEM stuff doesn't last very long, I already had lower Ball Joints replaced, it's only a matter of time before the shocks will need replacing.
    I want to have as much info as possible when that happens, even if I get it as Preventative Maintenance.
    I will say again I ride very aggressively, ( I mean is there any other way to ride?)

Spyder Garage

Thanks I have done all of those items, I should have made that as part of my original post. Swaybar done, Tires New Vredestein Quadtrack V's front Kumho 225/50R15 rear all brand new. Just these
    recent change has made the ride better, I WANT MORE!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    Thanks I have done all of those items, I should have made that as part of my original post. Swaybar done, Tires New Vredestein Quadtrack V's front Kumho 225/50R15 rear all brand new. Just these
    recent change has made the ride better, I WANT MORE!!!!!!
    I would ask if you have the billet aluminum End Links on your Sway Bar? These will improve the function of any sway bar. Especially the BajaRon bar.

If you do not have an RSS, then yes, the stock shocks on a 2010 RS are pretty weak. Still, with them set at the highest preload, I'm surprised that you're still having significant lean with the other upgrades you have. A set of 2011 or 2012 RT shocks would improve your ride a fair amount. Going with a set of Fox Podium shocks would be the next step in upgrades and price. The next level up being a set of Progressive shocks. Then there are Elka's, Weber's, etc., in different configurations depending on your taste and funding. But be careful that you don't go too stiff. If you do, your front end will tend to 'Push'. You don't want that. You need some articulation and compliance for the systems to work at their optimum capability.

There is only so much you're going to get out of the 1st Generation Frame Geometry. It's not quite to the level of a Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear. But you get my meaning. The changes BRP made to the 2013 frame and now again in 2020 have made a fair amount of difference that you're just not going to get from a 2008-2012 platform. Though when properly set up, these early models are no slouches. They just can't come up to the level of the newer versions no matter what you do. It's simply a matter of physics.

This is why I recommend the less expensive suspension alternatives for the 2008-2012 Spyders. You'll get a great deal of improvement without the expense. If you really want to go fast, work on going smooth. It's an old but very true saying. 'Smooth is Fast'.

Or, save your money and upgrade to a newer platform.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-22-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...-shocks-spyder
    Quite a bit stiffer than the current OEM shocks
    435-1000 17.76 451 14.45 367 3.31 84 E/E 04-1465-20B 300/400lb/in 5.36/7.14

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you're due for upgraded shocks if you already did the tires & bar. Have you had laser alignment?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Ron's given you some good advice, maybe you could ask out if some one on here has a set of 2012 shocks that they would part with! I am in the process of swapping out my shocks to Elka's but I am keeping my set of shocks In case I am midseason and have to rebuild my shocks, and have to put the old ones back on for a while till the work gets done!!! Sorry or I would mail them to you for postage!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If my memory serves me correctly, back in the days when I had my 2008 GS the "HOT" ticket for a shock upgrade was to find a set of RT take off shocks...Many had started buying 2010 RT's and the handling was not up to expectations, thus many RT owners were upgrading to aftermarket shocks...Then someone started installing the RT take off's on the GS as a great handling upgrade...I think the RT shock of choice was 2010 thru 2012??? I still have my stock 2008 GS take off's... ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THIS???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, back in the days when I had my 2008 GS the "HOT" ticket for a shock upgrade was to find a set of RT take off shocks...Many had started buying 2010 RT's and the handling was not up to expectations, thus many RT owners were upgrading to aftermarket shocks...Then someone started installing the RT take off's on the GS as a great handling upgrade...I think the RT shock of choice was 2010 thru 2012??? I still have my stock 2008 GS take off's... ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THIS???
    The 2010 RT shocks were a disaster for the RT. But an improvement for the RS Spyder. But they were still too weak. BRP upgraded the 2011/2012 RT sets and we found that these were are a better way to go for the RS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The 2010 RT shocks were a disaster for the RT. But an improvement for the RS Spyder. But they were still too weak. BRP upgraded the 2011/2012 RT sets and we found that these were are a better way to go for the RS.
    Thanks So if I were to pick up new 2011/2012 RT shocks would they be the upgraded shocks? Ron had much the same suggestion and also agreed the RS Shocks are weak. This may be the way for me to go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    Thanks So if I were to pick up new 2011/2012 RT shocks would they be the upgraded shocks? Ron had much the same suggestion and also agreed the RS Shocks are weak. This may be the way for me to go.
    You might be happy with a set of 2010 take-offs. But I don't think you can purchase them new anymore. I think BRP has only the improved 2011/2012 (Identical) sets for all the pre-2013 RT's. This might be the least expensive way to go. Especially if you can find a good set of take-offs. Many replaced these on their RT early and just have them laying on a shelf in the garage.

Each increment will give you a better shock. Fox Podium, Progressive, then Elka/Weber, etc. In my opinion, bang for the buck decreases at each step. But I think this is true of most any product. You have to decide how much bang and how much buck you're looking for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You might be happy with a set of 2010 take-offs. But I don't think you can purchase them new anymore. I think BRP has only the improved 2011/2012 (Identical) sets for all the pre-2013 RT's. This might be the least expensive way to go. Especially if you can find a good set of take-offs. Many replaced these on their RT early and just have them laying on a shelf in the garage.

Each increment will give you a better shock. Fox Podium, Progressive, then Elka/Weber, etc. In my opinion, bang for the buck decreases at each step. But I think this is true of most any product. You have to decide how much bang and how much buck you're looking for.
    Thanks Ron, you are a font of knowledge. I will look for the RT shocks as you suggest.