Spyder Garage

Default How easy it is to go for a road slide.

How anyone can not see a Spyder, which is as wide as a car, with both headlights on, is beyond me. The driver must have seen traffic approaching from their right (Aussie clip) when they first pulled out into the main road.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aEM8L...10SqRT72Qq5B8g

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like an inattentive cager who didn't bother to look in his/her mirror before he/she changed lanes. Hope he/she goes to jail. Was that a cop behind the car and Spyder? Thought I saw flashing lights. If so, that case would be cut and dried. Any idea if the Spyder rider was ok?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know about cut and dried, that Spyder was moving a lot faster than any other traffic. May have been moving
    too quickly to react to the turn signals and car moving over. Of course that's assuming there were turn signals, and
    he was overtaking on the right. And it's a given that the motorist never checked his mirrors.

Motorist definitely at fault, but the Spyder was moving too fast for conditions too. He should have been expecting the
    car to move over, especially right after it came out of a side street.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Given it's an Aussie clip, it's obviously a distracted or s**th**d cage driver, maybe both. IMO, the Spyder rider was perfectly within his rights to be traveling in the right lane because he was overtaking the cage down where you folks drive.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oops, that's right. I had a brain phart and was my thinking was wronghanded.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

No cop involved.....they are just light reflections..... and even if the Spyder was exceeding the speed limit, it is illegal to change lanes unless it is safe to do so. Inattentive driver.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

& only 5 years ago , any updates to it?

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can hear it now, car driver not wanting to admit fault.............. sorry officer ''I didn't see him''.
    Decoded ..............
    ''I didn't look''.
    ''I'm borderline cognitive wreck''.
    ''My one in a million driving skills allows six close shaves per outing''.

'''' (same as jail time acceptance)''
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

If that guy got tossed one second earlier he would be road kill for the oncoming pickup. Lucky to be alive. Couple of thoughts... 1) wear your gear, and 2) consider a Helite vest
    Even a little ride around the neighborhood can end in tragedy.
    From a reformed Harley dude:b2b

Spyder Garage

Front and read cameras taking video of that on the guilty driver's car. That's like bringing your own rope to your hanging.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Front and read cameras taking video of that on the guilty driver's car. That's like bringing your own rope to your hanging.
    Why in heaven's name would you post something that shows you as a total butt head, on social media? I guess a few minutes of fame is worth any price.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Why in heaven's name would you post something that shows you as a total butt head, on social media? I guess a few minutes of fame is worth any price.
    Have you considered that maybe the driver DIDN’T post it, Possible? Perhaps the police seized it, and it was made available to the press etc after the court case.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    & only 5 years ago , any updates to it?
    Yes....I found a report on it.......the driver was charged and found guilty, Bfromia.....no charges against the rider.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Wow! Now that's what I call a really good flame job. You must have a lot of practice flaming people for things you don't agree to.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, you've totally confused me. I was unaware I was flaming anyone. I commented on the stupidity of posting a video that showed a person
    doing something stupid. The website is obviously not a news site, and I'm pretty sure the police releasing someone's video without their permission
    may not be totally above board. The video came from the driver's car, why he would allow that video to become public subjecting him to an amazing
    amount of criticism makes little to no sense. But as I said: perhaps fame at any cost.

And what, exactly, don't I agree to? Moving into the path of an oncoming vehicle? Or posting the video of me moving into the path of an oncoming vehicle?
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I'm so sorry Possible....I thought that was aimed at me. My apologies sir. It turns out we are in total agreement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm certainly glad it was simply a misunderstanding. I was pretty stunned that it was thought I was flaming someone. I'll
    have to admit I had to reread my post to see what I had done, and was still confused. One of the issues with forums, and
    social media in general is the possibility of misunderstanding.

I'll have to admit to sniping now and then, but I don't know that I've ever descended to flaming an individual. Some of the
    Suzuki and Yamaha forums can get way out of line, IMO anyway.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

You are forgiven, my son. Go forth and do good works. I gotta admit that cager was a total butt-head as you stated.
    It's because of drivers like that, my 11 year old great-grandson installed new EBC HH brake pads in our Spyder. Yes, he did it and I just played instructor. The old pads were hardly worn, but I want all the stopping power I can get when it's needed. I'll save the OEM pads for paper weights.

Spyder Garage

I am not taking sides with ether one, I watched the whole thing four times, the car driver was at least half way across the the line before the bike was even to his bumper, it was his choice to goose it to get by in my eye's! Was it right to cross lanes the way he did?Did he have his directional on can't see the dash! Don't know the laws down under!!! Don't shoot me but the bike driver I think was a little at fault!!! You have to drive like every one in the world don't see you, that was what my Dad told me before I ever put my butt on a bike, and I still do it today!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree, the biker could possibly have avoided the incident if he had been paying strict attention and riding defensively.
    Seeing a car pull out of a side street is a signal to watch that car for a few minutes just to see what he's going to do next,
    he could plan on switching lanes and turning at the nearest intersection. The Spyder rider didn't ride defensively, and it did
    look like he sped up to get past the car.

But there's no doubt that the car driver was at fault, no sound on the camera so you don't know if his signal was on, and as
    far as that goes, his signal could still have been on from when he turned left, and the Spyder rider thought the guy was going
    to turn left immediately. Bottom line is he didn't check to see if anything was coming up in the lane before he eased over.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

The only “fact” here (there appears to be much laying of blame without bothering to find out the full circumstances), is that the driver was charged with, and found guilty of, failing to change lanes only when it was safe to do so. Yes, perhaps the rider did not drive defensively enough for his own safety, but he did absolutely nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Motorist definitely at fault, but the Spyder was moving too fast for conditions too. He should have been expecting the
    car to move over, especially right after it came out of a side street.
    No, there was no need to expect the car driver to pull over. Remember, this is in Oz. The car driver did right by staying in the left lane after he made the turn. The left lane is the slow lane. The Spyder was in the fast lane and had no reason to expect the car to pull over from the slow lane to the fast lane in front of him.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    No, there was no need to expect the car driver to pull over. Remember, this is in Oz. The car driver did right by staying in the left lane after he made the turn. The left lane is the slow lane. The Spyder was in the fast lane and had no reason to expect the car to pull over from the slow lane to the fast lane in front of him.
    I agree, the driver did his turn correctly, unlike most drivers around here who pay very little attention to what lane to turn into. But the video
    shows a gap in the center median coming up, and it could have been the car was moving over into the other lane so he could turn right into a
    side street. I guess I just never trust what car drivers are going to do. But we all agree that the car driver was in the wrong, I just think the
    whole thing could possibly have been avoided.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

This is a scary clip. It could have ended worse. Sure hope both recovered physically and mentally.

Spyder Garage

This incident illustrates to me a clear reason why it's always necessary to ride with protective gear.