Spyder Garage

Default Top Case Adjustment

Howdy Folk,

I hope everyone is staying warm, safe, and certainly COVID free.
    I have a couple of questions about the top case on our 2020 RTL.

1. Have any of you experienced/experiencing the latch sticking and being cantankerous to open? Sometimes I have to tap the lid around the latch area to get it to release and open. Or, I’ve had to push the lid around to get it to release.

2. Is there a kit, or anything that I can install that will give the ability to slide the top case back an inch or two to give the passenger more seat room? My wife is used to riding on the back of our Yamaha RSTD, and it had a nice space between her and me. She feels pretty tight, and right up against me on the Spyder. Just wondering.

Thanks, Big Lenny

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lenny, I also have a little trouble with the top trunk latch on my 2020RTL, (common problem) as others have mentioned. Hopefully with time and use it will get easier. As far as moving it back, I do not believe that will work. The two forks that hold the front of the trunk down would have to be lengthened some how besides the hold-down latch repositioned. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Go to Spyderpops site, he has an extension kit for the F3, that will move the top case back about 5 inches. A little on the expensive side but you get alot and it is well worth every penny.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    Go to Spyderpops site, he has an extension kit for the F3, that will move the top case back about 5 inches. A little on the expensive side but you get alot and it is well worth every penny.
    That won't work on the RT and is only for the 2018 and previous F3L due to the new LinQ locking/mounting system. Interesting idea, though if you have an earlier F3L.

Spyder Garage

You might have to put her on her own Spyder.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Take the top case off and you'll find a nut on the bottom of the latch. Loosen that about a half turn and see if it isn't easier to latch. If you need to loosen it more, go ahead. If you think it's too loose, tighten it back up a quarter turn. I suggest you keep it snug. As for gaining some more room, there's not much you can do except take off the backrest, and take it to an automotive upholsterer. We had our back rest foam reshaped to provide more lumbar support. You could explain to them your issue and they could either reshape your backrest foam, or replace it with something thinner but denser. There was ample vinyl covering material to reshape ours.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red