Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT vs RT limited

So I am in the go mode of purchasing a new Spyder I want a 2020 RT Limited Chalk (preferably chrome) I have found an excellent price on a RT (not limited) with the extras I want. other than the heated seats if I add the rear top case to my purchase am I getting the same bike?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You might look at this old post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...020-RT-LIMITED there are some differences between the RT and the RTL models.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

There's quite a few differences. If you're going to add the top box, you'd be better off just getting the Limited for a few $$$ more.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    There's quite a few differences. If you're going to add the top box, you'd be better off just getting the Limited for a few $$$ more.
    What ^^^^ said!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I respectfully disagree on the top box thing. I have a 2021 RT base model (no top case). I wanted one but didn't want to spend $2049 for an OEM one. On the suggestion of another forum member, I purchased the BuRP LinQ base and a Shad SH56X top case. Turned out quite well if I do say so myself. I ended up buying the Shad backrest pads and still have well under $900 in it. I can remove the top case and add the body colored cover in about 5 minutes. I have a write up around here somewhere that you can find if you do a quick search for "Shad SH56X".

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am not sold on the 2020 and up model yet (although I love the looks and some features). But if I make that jump, the decision between the RT and the RTL will be a sticky one to make. On one hand, I like to save money, but then again, there is always the chance of picking up a RTL with maybe a few miles on it for the price of a RT. Either way, I would like the Dark rims on it.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Although I love the top case on my RTL I would say the biggest thing for me is the automatic adjusting rear suspension. When loaded with gear or a passenger it takes care of itself. It also adapts to speed. Well worth it in my opinion. Having said that if you never had a bike with it then you may not even know its something you needed. This is my first bike with it and I love it.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My thoughts are with Schreckftw, The RTL is factory, not a RT with a bunch of add-ons, and the title will reflect that should you ever decide to sell it or up-grade. Dealers don't pay for extras, should you trade, they look at base book value. Another thing is buying a top case later, I believe they only come in all black. We have a 2020 RTL chrome and glad we went that route.

Spyder Garage

I had a chance to get the base 2020 vs the limited. I chose the base model chalk metallic(if I could have found that Deep Marsala for a little less I would have gotten a limited for sure) and did what you mentioned. I added the OEM top case, but it isn't color matched. It's all black. I think I like the look better than the color matched panels. I also added the heated seat and signature light. So, the only thing I'm really missing is the self adjusting suspension and heated passenger grips.
    From what I recall, you can have the compressor/pump added for about $600 or so. Plus, installation costs.
    I recently discovered that I was riding around with 0 air in the air bag for the rear suspension. I added some air to it and the feel of the ride has completely changed.
    With that said, yes there are many seemingly minor differences, but in my opinion; they make a pretty big difference in appearance, comfort, and convenience overall.

If your budget allows and there isn't a huge difference in price, the limited might be worth it. I found a great deal on my base model and I'm happy with the steps I did to upgrade it to what it is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    I also added the heated seat and signature light.
    Did you add the Auxiliary light (singular...fog/driving light that fits in the slot at the front bottom of the bike) or did you add the Signature lightS (the "eyebrow" lights in the front at the beltline that are more cosmetic)?

I added the Auxiliary light before I left the dealer when I picked my bike up. If I could find a set of Signature lights on the cheap (they're almost $200 for the pair), I'd think about adding them although I'm not sure I want to dig that deep into the front of the bike again. (I had to dismantle the entire front of the bike when I added the frunk liner which the Limited comes with.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Did you add the Auxiliary light (singular...fog/driving light that fits in the slot at the front bottom of the bike) or did you add the Signature lightS (the "eyebrow" lights in the front at the beltline that are more cosmetic)?

I added the Auxiliary light before I left the dealer when I picked my bike up. If I could find a set of Signature lights on the cheap (they're almost $200 for the pair), I'd think about adding them although I'm not sure I want to dig that deep into the front of the bike again. (I had to dismantle the entire front of the bike when I added the frunk liner which the Limited comes with.)
    I added both. Well, the dealer installed both

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah, and the dealer added the fender turn signals too123_1(3).jpg
    20210112_220415.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

That is very sound advise thank you so very much!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patbrown View Post
    That is very sound advise thank you so very much!

Your tag locates you in Mo. I found a pretty good deal from a dealer there named Big St. Charles Motorsports when I was looking to purchase. I'm not sure how far they are from you, but if you haven't already checked them out, it might be worth a shot. At the time I was looking they had a base 2020 for ~$19.5K and a limited for ~$24K. This was in November/December of last year. Another thing you can do, if you don't mind having a few miles on the trike is look to purchase 1 that was used for the 3 wheel training course. It'll likely have ~1K or less miles on it, but the break in period would have been completed and so would have the 600 mile maintenance. That can save you a few $ if you're not wanting to do the maintenance yourself and don't mind having a new-ish spyder.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how much you're willing to pay upfront or over time. Adding lights, cases, heated grips, and other accessories can add up pretty quickly and can end up costing more(if you go OEM) than it would have cost to just get it all in the beginning. I don't know if you're financing or paying cash. If financing, in my opinion, I wouldn't add a bunch of accessories that I could pay cash for unless the rate was awesome.

I don't think you can go "wrong" with either RT choice. You know what you like more than any of us. So, you should take our opinions with a grain of salt(whatever that means lol). Get what you want to get and stay within your budget is the most sound advice I think I can give. That may require you to wait a little longer if you really want a limited or sea to sky, but at least you would've gotten what you wanted.

When you do pull the trigger, enjoy the ryde and be safe.

Spyder Garage

I chose the base RT because I ride solo and don't need the extra storage (or weight). The signature light in the chin is a simple 2-screw plate with the wires directly accessible. Buy a no-name LED strip for less than $15 and spend the saving on gas!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Very excited, I am the proud owner of an RT Limited. All the advice you gave was so helpful in making my decision!! Thank You all!!