Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Hesitates and Pings

My 2019 RT Limited is having an issue on cold starts. After a cold start I let it idle a few minutes, drop the SE6 in first and slowly pull out towards the end of my driveway. The trike lurches or hesitates and pings sometimes. I’ve tried 89 to 93 octane gas and it does the same. Once warmed up fully it runs fine and stays that way the rest of the ride. Even when parked for an hour to hour and a half.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder engines are cold blooded. This is normal.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start it up then put on all your riding gear. I live in NC so summers are nice and warm and I still let it warm up for at least (5) minutes. In colder weather (like we're having now), I let it warm up for closer to (10) minutes. Even with that, when it's cold, it still shifts hard for the 1st few miles.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold Starting

Just curious about the 'cold starting'. Is this something new or has it been always this way?....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It is NEVER normal for a modern engine to ping. Also, Altamonte Springs is not usually very cold. You may have an issue with your knock sensor. Check for fault codes or better yet, have someone with BUDS do the diagnostics. If the engine is truly pinging, it WILL lead to permanent damage.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    It is NEVER normal for a modern engine to ping. Also, Altamonte Springs is not usually very cold. You may have an issue with your knock sensor. Check for fault codes or better yet, have someone with BUDS do the diagnostics. If the engine is truly pinging, it WILL lead to permanent damage.
    I agree. I don't own a 1330 motor so I can't say from experience what is normal and what is not. But it certainly does not sound good to me. The computer is supposed to richen up the fuel/air mixture for cold starts. Then leans it out as the engine approaches operating temperature. A too lean mix can create the issues you're describing. Your computer may not be compensating this way. Or, your timing could be off, etc. I would definitely get it checked by a competent tech. That will be your next hurdle!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-17-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember the oil and clutch.. Cold weather and oil may make the clutch plates a bit sticky at first..

Its a wet clutch and is using your engine oil on the clutch.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden to as low as 10 degrees with my heated gear on with my 2015 RT Limited 1330, and down to 20 degrees with the 2020 RT Limited 1330. I have not hear any pings when starting even in t hose cold temps. I let it warm up aboout 5-10 min. befor I take off and have never had any lurching at all. It seams to take a little more RPM to get the clutch to engage when it that cold, but that only is when I first take off.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have never let mine warm for more than a couple of minutes, and it has never had an issue. This has been true for my 2014 RT, 2012 RSS, and my current 2016 F3T. Sounds like something isn't right. But maybe every bike is just different.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If it's below 30 and I start right off I have to be very cautious about throttle twisting or it may stall. Warm up time to get balaclava, helmet and gloves on precludes the stall potential. My Spyder has NEVER pinged.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Since it is a 2019 it could still have some warranty left. I would have a dealer check it out and see if any applies. Otherwise the easiest thing to do on your own is new plugs. After that you are looking at BUDS for a reading.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Since it is a 2019 it could still have some warranty left. I would have a dealer check it out and see if any applies. Otherwise the easiest thing to do on your own is new plugs. After that you are looking at BUDS for a reading.
    EASY and CHANGING spark plugs on a 1330 RT should NEVER APPEAR Written in the same sentence...

Spyder Garage

It wasn’t that way when new. It’s 15 months old with 14,000 miles on it. I’ve noticed it over the past month or so.

Spyder Garage

I agree that it’s not right and not good for the motor. When I say cold I mean hasn’t run for 2 to 4 days. The temp outside my garage could be 40 to 70 degrees. So cold start is not the weather it’s the engine cold from not running.

Spyder Garage

Should I be charged for service by a dealer with BUDS to check codes when the trike is still under warranty?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dg110270 View Post
    Should I be charged for service by a dealer with BUDS to check codes when the trike is still under warranty?
    It depends on what the diagnosis is. If the fix is covered under warranty. Then you should not be charged. If the fix is not covered under warranty, they you can expect to be charged for everything. The cost of diagnosis may be waved if you get the work done by the dealership.

In either case. You will be charged for diagnosis if you do the work yourself.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not sure about the 2019 but on the 2020 you can check the code yourself under settings in the display. Not sure if it will show them all but that's a start.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

My 2019 RT Limited is having an issue on cold starts. After a cold start I let it idle a few minutes, drop the SE6 in first and slowly pull out towards the end of my driveway. The trike lurches or hesitates and pings sometimes. I’ve tried 89 to 93 octane gas and it does the same. Once warmed up fully it runs fine and stays that way the rest of the ride. Even when parked for an hour to hour and a half.
    I have a 2019F3L.......last year, my dealer performed a TSB update to the Transmission,...I believe he stated a line pressure increase in the trans. My unit only had 600 miles on it when performed.....as part ofa paid alignment on my part.
    Long n short......check for codes. If none, inquire at your dealer of TSB updates for your ride.......it may cost you $$$ to persuade them to check with BUDS and the dealers BOSS Web software.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-18-2021 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you guys. I guess l’m headed for a dealer visit.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Codes

Did you check for any Codes? If you have, let us know the code numbers.
    Someone may have a tip for you. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I don’t know how to check codes on the 2019 RT. Can you tell me how or have a video?

Spyder Garage

I don’t know how to check codes on the 2019 RT. Can you tell me how or have a video?
    You mean you have not "Read The Fine Manual" yet?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I found it in settings. With the trike off or running there are no codes listed in the settings menu. I guess I’ll try letting the trike warm up longer before pulling away. Ill skip the dealer for now. I wonder if the BUDS can see things when there are no
    Faults listed in settings?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I found it in settings. With the trike off or running there are no codes listed in the settings menu. I guess I’ll try letting the trike warm up longer before pulling away. Ill skip the dealer for now. I wonder if the BUDS can see things when there are no
    Faults listed in settings?
    As with ALL computers .... the computer registers and keeps all the info Stored in it's memory bank .... hitting the delete key just removes it from view .... it does actually remove it from the memory bank ..... wiping a computers memory CLEAN can be done, but it is complicated .... so the info is still there and a talented computer hacker can find it, also someone who is an expert with BUDS ..... Mike ...... when I was first introduced to the world of computers, the instructor advised - if throw away your hard drive ( there were no laptops at that time ) remove the memory board from inside the case and take a hammer to it ....

Spyder Garage

Trying to understand. If the trike has an active code then I’ll probably see it on the instrument display and can also bring it up in the settings menu right? What would make me not see the code in the settings menu but would be seen by BUDS?