Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a Jack that will raise the Spyder up 24 Inches

Is there a jack that will raise the Spyder RT up 24 inches so I can install Baja Rons sway Bar? I have a yellow sears motorcycle jack but will not go up to 24 inches.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    Is there a jack that will raise the Spyder RT up 24 inches so I can install Baja Rons sway Bar? I have a yellow sears motorcycle jack but will not go up to 24 inches.

Jim
    I got mine all ready to slide out and a friend came by with his ramps. Old out and new in, and back on the block to hook it up and reinstall the tupperware.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Pit Bull makes one but I don't know if they are still in business - I just tried to go to their website and it is no longer working.

http://pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/ is the correct link but it no longer goes to the company website.

I think they are about $500-600 plus shipping.

I used a combination of drive up ramps and a regular floor jack to get mine up high enough to get the old one out and the new one in.

I like Snoking's method best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never seen a PitBull jack/stand for the Spyder, but they are still selling excellent gear: https://www.pit-bull.com/.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Jim
    If you have something like a pallet raise the bike as high as you can, put blocks, like concrete blocks, under all three wheels, and remove the jack. Then place the jack onto a pallet and slide it under and finish jacking the bike up. That's what I did. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1336041. The ramp idea is probably about the best approach to get the height and keep the bike secure.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

There is a jack called big blue or something like that. Gos up pretty high.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

You'll only need it that high for maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute or so - all the necessary work besides the actual 'slide old bar out, slide new bar in' bit can be done with it much lower!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You'll only need it that high for maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute or so - all the necessary work besides the actual 'slide old bar out, slide new bar in' bit can be done with it much lower!
    What P^^^^ A^^^^ said! And I did it without removing the belly tupperware.

This helped for the bolts that hold the bar into the Spyder frame.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this for the top link bolts.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Floor jack and jack stands. Take your time and be carefull.

Spyder Garage
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I've never seen a PitBull jack/stand for the Spyder, but they are still selling excellent gear: https://www.pit-bull.com/.
    Not the same company - see this video.

Spyder Garage

Just another ramp idea to throw out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Jim
    Jim, You can use that jack by putting a 4X4 on it. I did that and put jack stands under just in case. You will only need it up for probably 2 minutes. Be careful.

Spyder Garage

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb...yABEgJNpPD_BwE

Will a Lawnmower lift work on spyder ones that lift the front 2 tires. they arenrated for 750#
    this lift says 300# but they have one for 750#

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb...yABEgJNpPD_BwE

Will a Lawnmower lift work on spyder ones that lift the front 2 tires. they arenrated for 750#
    this lift says 300# but they have one for 750#
    I am not sure it goes wide enough for the Spyder front tire width? And all 4 are listed at 300 lbs. And with only one rear wheel the Spyder would be very tippy lifting it with that lawnmower lift.

These ramps would be better. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...two-60397.html

Spyder Garage

yeah they have a 750 I seen it there But thanks for the info your idea is better

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    From what I can tell that jack use's the rear shock bracket for lifting, I was under the impression that was a no no.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    From what I can tell that jack use's the rear shock bracket for lifting, I was under the impression that was a no no.
    There is apparent conflicting information in the service manual. Some procedures call for lifting under the rear shock absorber, and some say do not. My interpretation is DO NOT lift using the bottom end of the shock absorber. You could bend the shock mounting bolt. But you CAN lift if the jack spans the entire shock mounting bracket and does not put a load on the shock absorber. That is specifically mentioned in one procedure. If you think about it it's obvious the bracket has to be stout enough to support the weight of the bike that is above the swing arm. When you add in safety factor and the shock from tire movement that is transmitted through the bracket it has to be pretty stout.

Also, IIRC, the section that says it is a no-no deals with adjusting the belt tension or something of the sort where the swing arm needs to be free to move.

The conflict in the manual, IMO, arises from the fact that it is undoubtedly written by several tech writers and design engineers who have not coordinated 100% on all the various sections of the manual.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    There is apparent conflicting information in the service manual. Some procedures call for lifting under the rear shock absorber, and some say do not. My interpretation is DO NOT lift using the bottom end of the shock absorber. You could bend the shock mounting bolt. But you CAN lift if the jack spans the entire shock mounting bracket and does not put a load on the shock absorber. That is specifically mentioned in one procedure. If you think about it it's obvious the bracket has to be stout enough to support the weight of the bike that is above the swing arm. When you add in safety factor and the shock from tire movement that is transmitted through the bracket it has to be pretty stout.

Also, IIRC, the section that says it is a no-no deals with adjusting the belt tension or something of the sort where the swing arm needs to be free to move.

The conflict in the manual, IMO, arises from the fact that it is undoubtedly written by several tech writers and design engineers who have not coordinated 100% on all the various sections of the manual.
    Having been in the repair field for most of my career I totally agree about the conflicting data and obviously being written by several techs.

I also believe all engineers should be a mechanic for a period of time before being able to design things so they have a true understanding how things are in the real world.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I also believe all engineers should be a mechanic for a period of time before being able to design things so they have a true understanding how things are in the real world.
    I don't know if it's the case still, or not, but in years past engineers in Japan had to work the assembly line for a few years before moving to the design offices! And then there is the story I was told about a new combine being designed at John Deere. The company put together a team of engineers, factory workers, farmers, dealers, and I don't know who all. The person telling me about it said the air sure turned blue when the team started to assemble the prototype based on their just completed design!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

SwayBarInst-M.jpg A Harbor Freight lift with a 2x4 extension works great.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

Not sure what year the OPs RT is but if it is a 2020, most of those "standard" motorcycle lifts will not work from the side because the floorboards are very wide - once you get the lift in position under the bike, there is not enough room to operate the handle. You would need to take one of the floorboards off to use a standard lift. DAMHIK.

Spyder Garage

Got you Covered!

cranes.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Not sure what year the OPs RT is but if it is a 2020, most of those "standard" motorcycle lifts will not work from the side because the floorboards are very wide - once you get the lift in position under the bike, there is not enough room to operate the handle. You would need to take one of the floorboards off to use a standard lift. DAMHIK.
    Read post # 21, I would advise tying it onto the lift any hard wrenching could tip it off ....imho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Read post # 21, I would advise tying it onto the lift any hard wrenching could tip it off ....imho .... Mike
    ?????