Spyder Garage

Default Utah National Parks accessibility

My wife and I planned to travel through the National Parks in Utah on our Spyders. My question is how many of the roads in those parks are hard surfaced? I think most agree that Spyders and gravel roads aren't compatible. We plan to hike some but the accessibility is to the trailhead is still a concern.Thanks in advance for your input.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    My wife and I planned to travel through the National Parks in Utah on our Spyders. My question is how many of the roads in those parks are gravel? How much accessibility is there on hard surface roads? I think everyone agrees Spyders and gravel don't play well together. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Take a look at the parks with Street View and Satellite view in Google maps. It's pretty easy to see which is which.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I planned to travel through the National Parks in Utah on our Spyders. My question is how many of the roads in those parks are hard surfaced? I think most agree that Spyders and gravel roads aren't compatible. We plan to hike some but the accessibility is to the trailhead is still a concern. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Hi, in Vermont many of the ( interesting ) roads are hard packed gravel and it has never been a problem on 14 RT. .... I did put a DIY belt guard on in 2016 but prior to that it didn't have one .... if the surface looks " iffy " ( ie. soft ) just slow down ..... enjoy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

We live in South Dakota where you can't drive slow enough on some of the gravel. lol We travel a mile of gravel whenever we leave our house.
    I have installed the belt guard and drive very slow, usually less than 15 mph, but still hear a rock thump like it went between the belt and sprocket. We spent some time in the Wyoming Big Horns last fall. I vowed we wouldn't put our Spyders through that again. Fortunately the traffic was light so we could drive at a snails pace but it still shook the s**t out of them! I hoped someone on the forum had visited the Utah parks possibly even with a Spyder. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Most of the parks we have been to in Utah, were asphalt pavement. If you get to places with dirt roads, you are way out there.

There are now vehicle restrictions in Zion. Roads which used to be open to vehicle traffic are now bus only. You have to park out of town and take the bus, same as Denali Park in Alaska.

We were there last, in December a couple years back. We had free rein for travel with no restrictions anywhere. We drove to the Virgin River and had free access to the tunnels. Don't know if that is still the case.

To be safe, look up each park you are interested in to find out the latest restrictions. We have relatives in Hurricane so will most likely be out there in summer 2021.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-14-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here's a good starting point for all kinds of info about the parks. https://www.nps.gov/index.htm

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

If you're thinking Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Arches, Capitol Reef...... All paved roads and great riding. Have done that area many times on both 2 and 3 wheels..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you're thinking Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Arches, Capitol Reef...... All paved roads and great riding. Have done that area many times on both 2 and 3 wheels..... Jim
    Thanks for the response. I hoped that was the case. We plan to take the Timeout camper and ride WY, CO, and over into Utah. Hope to be gone 2-3 weeks in early June.

Spyder Garage

Beef, for all three states get Butler G1 motorcycle maps, https://butlermaps.com/. I used the CO one for a great tour in '19 and am planning UT this year. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response. I hoped that was the case. We plan to take the Timeout camper and ride WY, CO, and over into Utah. Hope to be gone 2-3 weeks in early June.
    Keep an eye on the weather. It can be nasty sometimes going over the Rocky Mountains in early June. Snow in early June isn't the norm, but it can happen.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Zion: Main road is paved and open as it is a main highway. Bus to other areas.
    Bryce: roads are paved. Some sideroads are hard packed gravel. You decide
    Capital Reef: Main road is paved. Some sideroads are packed gravel
    Canyon Lands: Many roads are paved, the ones that aren't you can't drive on anyway.
    Dead Horse Point: paved
    The Hogs Back Paved but no guard rails
    Arches: paved to many arches, some hiking
    Natural Bridges: paved but you must hike to see most of the bridges
    Calf Creek Falls: paved to parking lot, 2.5 mile easy walk to falls,very interesting
    Kolob Canyon: Paved beautiful drive
    Kolob Reservoir: Paved beautiful drive 5 mph curves
    Pipe Springs: Paved
    Goblin Valley: Paved
    Monument Valley: Gravel, busses available, Reservation shut down now due to Covid.
    If there are other areas you want to know about, shoot me a question.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Zion: Main road is paved and open as it is a main highway. Bus to other areas.
    Bryce: roads are paved. Some sideroads are hard packed gravel. You decide
    Capital Reef: Main road is paved. Some sideroads are packed gravel
    Canyon Lands: Many roads are paved, the ones that aren't you can't drive on anyway.
    Dead Horse Point: paved
    The Hogs Back Paved but no guard rails
    Arches: paved to many arches, some hiking
    Natural Bridges: paved but you must hike to see most of the bridges
    Calf Creek Falls: paved to parking lot, 2.5 mile easy walk to falls,very interesting
    Kolob Canyon: Paved beautiful drive
    Kolob Reservoir: Paved beautiful drive 5 mph curves
    Pipe Springs: Paved
    Goblin Valley: Paved
    Monument Valley: Gravel, busses available, Reservation shut down now due to Covid.
    If there are other areas you want to know about, shoot me a question.
    Paul Knows..... Hey Paul, remember when you saw me riding north in Utah on my RTL towing a trailer followed by my (at that time) wife on a yellow Goldwing.....?..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Remember it very well. Hope we can get together for some real miles sometime.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Beef, for all three states get Butler G1 motorcycle maps, https://butlermaps.com/. I used the CO one for a great tour in '19 and am planning UT this year. Good luck!
    Thanks for the information. I plan to order some!

Spyder Garage

Maybe we will see you out there. We are headed that way in early June too.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

AMERICAS MOST SCENIC HIGHWAY....
    Rt.12 in Utah.... DO NOT MISS THIS ONE....
    i've ridden it 3X, and i will again.... most definitely the most beautiful 124 miles i've ever ridden.... and you won't ride on dirt, it's paved the entire way...
    i've ridden all around Utah, i find it to be the absolute best in the 38 States i've ridden in... you can see a tremendous amount of beautiful places without riding on dirt roads... highest point is 9000 ft, it's posted...
    whatever you do, do it safely and let others know where you will be on a daily basis...
    enjoy and let us all know how it went...
    Dan P
    SPYD3RSAM_0676.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 02-16-2021 at 07:17 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be sure to get your National Parks Senior Pass, if you are age-62 eligible. An annual pass is $20 and a lifetime pass is $80/person. If two are riding on a single motorcycle, only one pass is needed; you'll need to check if riding two separate bikes.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Be sure to get your National Parks Senior Pass, if you are age-62 eligible. An annual pass is $20 and a lifetime pass is $80/person. If two are riding on a single motorcycle, only one pass is needed; you'll need to check if riding two separate bikes.
    We both have passes. I turned 62 on January 11 and the price increased from $20 to $80 on January 1. It has paid for itself at $80, still a bargain!

Spyder Garage

Say 56,

Are you going to stop at the Deadwood 3-wheel rally???? We are touring though Utah and Colorado in the first 2 weeks of July.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow