Spyder Garage

Default Anyone know the length of a '21 RT-L OEM Seat Strut?

Good morning everyone!

Does anyone know the length of the OEM seat strut? I have searched both here and on various FB groups.
    My research is telling me that it's between 17 and 19 inches, depending on which strut is purchased. Is this correct?
    That length seems a bit long to me, but I could be wrong, it's why I'm asking here.k

I have a '21 RT-L with the stock heated seat.

--Exco
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2023 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2021 RT-L only has a few cosmetic mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question, following to get some information for my 2020 RTL. Dealer replaced mine under warranty, lasted about a week, cost me a day back and forth and hanging at the dealer's. What a hassle. Now using a reliable stick.

Spyder Garage

Why not just measure it?
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Why not just measure it?
    I was hoping that someone already had.

Measuring is my next step, just need to wait for the weather to break, not doing it when it's cold, wet, or windy.

--Exco

Spyder Garage

Did some calling (and of course, BRP is back ordered!) and I found one that had a part #7080033221. It was 7-1/2 inches; not confirmed, but hopefully this is still helpful. Unfortunately, by the time of this post, most dealers will be closing 'til Tuesday.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2024 at 04:30 PM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

While it comes from a thread asking about 2020+ RT's, I'm not sure that this listing:

https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Tonnea...5596957&sr=8-5

which suggests a length of 18.7", is actually for the later model seats?? It came from this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=McMaster+Carr

which was on the first page of the Search Results returned by entering "Seat Strut" (quotation marks included to make it search for the entire phrase! ) into the Search field up towards the Top Right of the page; clicking the 'Search Titles Only' box; then submitting the thread...

But there's lots more results there that show others using a variety of different struts - some direct replacements for the OEM Seat Struts except for the stronger lift; others not direct replacements, but still struts that'll supposedly fit under there & work, either singly or on pairs; and many using a range of rigid alternatives instead of the gas seat struts, and usually getting a better opening distance as a result!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-03-2023 at 07:42 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

17 to 19 inches would be for the pre '20 Spyders. The 7.5" measurement sounds about right. I have my old one, but I'm not able to measure it at this time. There is a thread on this site concerning replacement struts from McMaster-Carr. Much, much cheaper than BRP, and they last. Try searching " replacement seat strut" at the top of the page.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    Good morning everyone!

Does anyone know the length of the OEM seat strut? I have searched both here and on various FB groups.
    My research is telling me that it's between 17 and 19 inches, depending on which strut is purchased. Is this correct?
    That length seems a bit long to me, but I could be wrong, it's why I'm asking here.k

--Exco
    Just measured the wife's 2021 7 " top to bottom, so around 6.5" center to center on the eyelets.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    Good morning everyone!

--Exco
    I just replaced mine on my 2020 RT Limited with a 7 1/2" strut. It works just fine. It was sold in a 2-pack so I have an extra one and you're more than welcome to have it. Send me a PM with your information and I'll send it to you.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I just replaced mine on my 2020 RT Limited with a 7 1/2" strut. It works just fine. It was sold in a 2-pack so I have an extra one and you're more than welcome to have it. Send me a PM with your information and I'll send it to you.
    Bossier LA-
    Maumelle, AR Close enough for meet & greet. Just a thought

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help, everyone! I believe that the mystery is now solved!

--Exco

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, McMaster-Carr was what I was trying to think of, believe it was two for $15 and change. Even with shipping charges should be less than after market. Thanks Iceman. Now I can think about getting rid of my 'stick prop'. How about that, a 2020 RTL with a stick seat prop, that just ain't cool! :-)

Spyder Garage

I ordered a new strut based upon a recommendation from someone on this forum. I used the same manufacturer and part number, but I can see it might be too long to fit my 2020 RTL. The extended length is 19 inches and compressed length is 12 inches. I don't have the old strut off yet, so I can't compare them. Even if it fits, it has a 40 lift and that sounds like a lot. I would appreciate some in-put on the subject.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2024 at 11:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would start by taking off the old one and comparing the two, you may be worrying about nothing, The 40lb thing, here again if it fits it should work well!! So, get the old one off and get going!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I did break down and buy the replacement Show Chrome seat strut. Heck, my 2 month old Sea To Sky strut wouldn't hold up my driver seat with a sheep skin cover on it. No problems now, and it takes a nice push to shut it. More pricey but a 100% direct replacement.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tindoor42 View Post
    I ordered a new strut based upon a recommendation from someone on this forum. I used the same manufacturer and part number, but I can see it might be too long to fit my 2020 RTL. The extended length is 19 inches and compressed length is 12 inches. I don't have the old strut off yet, so I can't compare them. Even if it fits, it has a 40 lift and that sounds like a lot. I would appreciate some in-put on the subject.
    The one you ordered will be too long if it is 12" compressed.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Maybe I missed the information, but did you or would you supply where you bought it from and the part number.

Thanks, Bob
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6