Spyder Garage

Default 2020 seat removal - any videos or written steps??

Hi
    I'm a new owner thanks for the add

does anyone have a video or written steps to 2020 seat removal

thanks

Spyder Garage

The passenger seat comes off easily just by pressing in 2 tabs that are accessible from underneath when you raise the front seat. They can be tricky to locate but after you have done it a time or two, it is very easy. There are a few posts on this forum and maybe a few pics - do a SEARCH.

The drivers seat also comes off easily by removing the 1 screw that holds the support strut and then removing the 2 bolts at the hinge. Remove passenger seat first.

Also, if you have heated seats you will have to unplug each seat from the wiring harness.

Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to remove the rear seat and maybe 5 minutes for the driver.

Spyder Garage

Definitely gonna need a flashlight to find those two tabs right and left. That's the hardest part.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And hopefully those tabs actually catch the rear seat. Mine are there but they don't do jack. I can lift my rear seat off w/o touching the tabs (or even lifting the front seat). If it weren't for my backrest, it wouldn't surprise me if the rear seat just flew off. I have my 3k mile service coming up soon. I think I'll mention this to them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    And hopefully those tabs actually catch the rear seat. Mine are there but they don't do jack. I can lift my rear seat off w/o touching the tabs (or even lifting the front seat). If it weren't for my backrest, it wouldn't surprise me if the rear seat just flew off. I have my 3k mile service coming up soon. I think I'll mention this to them.
    On my OEM passenger seat, it engaged very easily (like it is supposed to) but on my heated replacement seat, the tabs did not want to engage at all. I played with it and wound up using quite a bit of pressure/weight to get them to finally engage. I haven't removed yet so I can't tell you why or what finally compressed enough for them to engage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    On my OEM passenger seat, it engaged very easily (like it is supposed to) but on my heated replacement seat, the tabs did not want to engage at all. I played with it and wound up using quite a bit of pressure/weight to get them to finally engage. I haven't removed yet so I can't tell you why or what finally compressed enough for them to engage.
    I'm 300#. Even if I sit on the passenger seat, my tabs won't click into place. I think it's a design defect. When they were molding the seats, I think there were some that didn't fully cure or cured incorrectly causing the tabs to cure at the wrong (backwards) angle. Like I said, when I go in for my 3k mile service, I'll have them look at it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a warranty issue and they can get me a new passenger seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Hi

thanks
    1: Raise drivers seat
    2: Look at the underside of drivers seat and identify two tabs that are clear in the back.
    3: Press release tabs while lifting passenger seat.
    4: Disconnect electrical connection from passenger seat cable and remove seat.

Spyder Garage

I'm 300#. Even if I sit on the passenger seat, my tabs won't click into place. I think it's a design defect. When they were molding the seats, I think there were some that didn't fully cure or cured incorrectly causing the tabs to cure at the wrong (backwards) angle. Like I said, when I go in for my 3k mile service, I'll have them look at it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a warranty issue and they can get me a new passenger seat.
    Sorry Cirhere, just a very brief hijack.....MONK, at 300lbs how do you find the performance of the stock shocks.....no bottoming out?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

They are replacing my rear seat under warranty for the same reason. When I was telling the service rep about it he said lets go see, we went out there and without even trying to unlatch it he got both sides of the rear seat and pulled it straight up and said he didn't see anything wrong. I explained to him he shouldn't be able to do that then told him how it was supposed to work. I think most of these people don't have a clue how to do things and that's what's wrong with most of them.,,,,,,,,,,,,, just jerk them up a few times and it will get easier.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Take a close look at how the wiring harnesses are routed under the passenger seat. When I switched to a comfort seat, I had the same issue at first. Turned out that a couple of the wire bundles were not under the rigid clips they were supposed to be under, which prevented the seat from latching in the front correctly. There are "rails" that the disconnect plugs are supposed to be in also to keep them in the right spot.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sorry Cirhere, just a very brief hijack.....MONK, at 300lbs how do you find the performance of the stock shocks.....no bottoming out?

No issues at all. I have a base model RT so I have to fill the shock w/air on my own but when I rode it home from the stealer, it didn't have any air in it (my fault for not checking). Still didn't bottom out.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Take a close look at how the wiring harnesses are routed under the passenger seat. When I switched to a comfort seat, I had the same issue at first. Turned out that a couple of the wire bundles were not under the rigid clips they were supposed to be under, which prevented the seat from latching in the front correctly. There are "rails" that the disconnect plugs are supposed to be in also to keep them in the right spot.
    The seat sits all the way down. When I look under the drivers seat, I can see where the clips/tabs are. They're in the right place. They just don't have enough "spring" in them to catch the keepers. Good point, though. I'll double check later this week once the rain stops and I feel like going out to the garage, just in case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Do you have a picture of the rails with the plugs in them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post
    Do you have a picture of the rails with the plugs in them?
    You can see the connector in each pair of photos is either "on" or "off" the small plastic rail that one half of the connector should be slid onto. This keeps the wire harness in the proper location. The photos on the right are the connector for a heated seat.

Seat off rail.jpg Seat on rail.jpg Heated seat off.jpg Heated seat on.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I've been trying to find a video too lol
    My air suspension doesn't seem to absorb many speed bumps, potholes, or even small holes in the road very well. It was bad when I rode solo, but I recently had a passenger and every bump was felt and heard. I saw a video from Smoak's Vlog a while back and figured that either there was too much air or not enough air in the bag.
    I have a portable Halo battery jumper/air compressor(neat little gadget) that I planned to use to inflate or deflate some air from the bag.
    I saw a few posts, 1 from Monk, regarding the short and hard to reach Schrader valve and extension that folks added.
    Well, I was able to barely fit my arm under the raised driver(operator) seat to attach the compressor. Getting the extension on was a completely different story. My hands and forearms are too large to maneuver that well.
    I may have to take the seat off to tighten the extension, or find someone with small hands and arms to do it for me. Pretty cold here today. So, I'll test ride tomorrow to see if the addition of air to the bag changes the ride. The compressor registered 0 PSI when I initially connected it. l added 70. I'm not that small of a guy 250+. Based on the manual that should be enough for me + another rider.
    If anyone has a link to the post that has video of these little tabs that release the seat, that'd be great.

Oh yeah, I can tell now that the $10 spent on the valve extension was a great purchase.Particularly, if I'm going to add air to this thing every week or so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Well, I was able to barely fit my arm under the raised driver(operator) seat to attach the compressor. Getting the extension on was a completely different story. My hands and forearms are too large to maneuver that well.
    I may have to take the seat off to tighten the extension, or find someone with small hands and arms to do it for me. Pretty cold here today. So, I'll test ride tomorrow to see if the addition of air to the bag changes the ride. The compressor registered 0 PSI when I initially connected it. l added 70. I'm not that small of a guy 250+. Based on the manual that should be enough for me + another rider.
    If anyone has a link to the post that has video of these little tabs that release the seat, that'd be great.

Oh yeah, I can tell now that the $10 spent on the valve extension was a great purchase.Particularly, if I'm going to add air to this thing every week or so.
    You can easily reach the OEM Schrader valve if you remove the passenger seat at least enough to screw on the extension. Get it finger tight then use a pair of pliers to finish tightening it. I'd say 70# is WAY too much for a solo rider, especially @ only 250#. I weigh 300# and only have about 60-62#. Even at that, it's a little much for non-aggressive riding. I only keep it that high because I ride aggressively and normally am happy to substitute a little bit of comfort for a little better handling (although I may be imagining the better handling). I'd say, for a 250# rider, 58-60# should be more than enough. I rode it home from the dealer when I first got it with ZERO air in the bag and didn't think it was a horrible ride (I wouldn't recommend that). The specs in the manual are just a suggestion.

Also, once you have the extension in place, you can tuck the end into a little square hole on the side of the bike (under the drivers seat). I'll try to remember to snap a pic later. It keeps the bulk of the hose out of the way so it doesn't interfere with your drivers seat.

Spyder Garage

190 pounds here and I run it at 50-54 psi.

Spyder Garage

Good to know. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    Hi

thanks
    This the best I found so far. From slingmods backrest install. It may be semi-helpful.

Start at around the 3:17 mark

https://youtu.be/02xASx27tq4

Spyder Garage

Just took mine off, so I know pic's can be very helpful - here you go.

What confused me was that I thought the tabs were on each side - they're not, as you can see in the pic's...

Another question is that red piece on the bottom of the passenger seat. When the seat is on, that red piece sits atop a large switch. Is that a safety of some sorts in case the passenger decides to take a leap?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-15-2023 at 04:18 PM. Reason: too; there; + ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Just took mine off, so I know pic's can be very helpful - here you go.

What confused me was that I thought the tabs were on each side - they're not, as you can see in the pic's...

Another question is that red piece on the bottom of the passenger seat. When the seat is on, that red piece sits atop a large switch. Is that a safety of some sorts in case the passenger decides to take a leap?
    The tabs are indeed on “each side”, Escorial. One on the right side of the centre and one on the left side of centre
    That red tab is where your rear seat weight detector sits.

Hopefully Cirhere has already solved this issue. Last post was in Feb 2021.

This photo is taken from the left side. You can see the circular detector next to the label.
    IMG_1592.jpeg

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hi I'm GDoc, I ride a 2016 Spyder RTS SE6. If you not it done already, check YouTube for video based on the year of your Spyder. Pierre with cananspyderaccessories.com has some awesome tips and tricks with the Spyders or Lamonstergarage.com are two great guys. Ride safe wear your gear and watch out for cagers and 18 wheelers but most of all enjoy the ride. GDoc
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-22-2024 at 09:15 PM.
    2016 RTS SE6 , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

If you search youtube you will find all kinds of videos on this and other items, it's a wealth if information!
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroubledJuan View Post
    If you search youtube you will find all kinds of videos on this and other items, it's a wealth if information!
    There’s a YouTube video on how to find the “tabs” as part of removing the rear ‘20+ seat, Juan? It must be well hidden, as I’ve never seen it. (It’s locating and operating the tabs that stumps everyone and prevents rear seat removal)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.