Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Looking at a Used 2014 RT Limited - is it worth it?

Hi newbie here, 1st post, wife and I are looking at a used 2014 RT Limited, it has a little over 8000 miles, has some sun fade, the chrome has some pitting and some corrosion, the GPS and the luggage bag is missing, needs brake pads, must have rode the brake peddle, belt looks good, tires are good, needs some TLC, it's old gentlemen 80 years old, he's asking $15.000.00 for it and he's firm on his price. I'm new to the Can Am Spyders, rode a 750 Honda four as a teenager, then Harley's the rest of my life, ole age has not been good to me plus injuries and the wife won't let me keep riding a 2 wheeler anymore, and I need to ride!!! My question is this RT Limited I'm looking at worth the 15 the gentleman is asking? Thank You.

Spyder Garage

It wouldn't be for me. I got my 2015 RTS last summer for 14,000 with 6000 mi on it. I think you can find a newer one for that price or get him down to 13k.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I am picking up tmrw a 2014 RT-S SE6 with 2200 miles for 12,500 in LIKE NEW condition, 15K seems way too much considering that youd have to spend some $ to get it up to par .

Spyder Garage

Last autumn I bought a 2015 RT SE6 with 7000 miles for $12000. Mine is in excellent shape, no weathered finish or pitted chrome. $15000 seems too high, keep shopping.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oledog56 View Post
    Hi newbie here, 1st post, wife and I are looking at a used 2014 RT Limited, it has a little over 8000 miles, has some sun fade, the chrome has some pitting and some corrosion, the GPS and the luggage bag is missing, needs brake pads, must have rode the brake peddle, belt looks good, tires are good, needs some TLC, it's old gentlemen 80 years old, he's asking $15.000.00 for it and he's firm on his price. I'm new to the Can Am Spyders, rode a 750 Honda four as a teenager, then Harley's the rest of my life, ole age has not been good to me plus injuries and the wife won't let me keep riding a 2 wheeler anymore, and I need to ride!!! My question is this RT Limited I'm looking at worth the 15 the gentleman is asking? Thank You.
    Sounds like it's set outside for most of it's life. I doubt the owner rode the brake. That tends to trip the nanny. I'd offer $12k or walk away. You can buy a brand new 2020 RT (base) for just over $20k.

Spyder Garage

Like the others have stated. The price is too high.
    Consider the cost or repairs and upgrades and you will have a very expensive Spyder.
    Keep looking. You can find newer good deals here on SpyderLovers, Craigslist and Facebook.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For 15k I would get a newer model. If he is not lowering the price then shop around .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

#1.- ... #2.- with all who posted before me .... in early fall of 2020 another member here sold His low miles pristine 2014 RT-S that had quite a mods for only $10,500 .... I tried to buy but He had someone who called before me .... and He got it for that price ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the others. $11K to $12K is the most I would offer. Sounds like kept outside for starters.

You can do better.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the previous responders. Mine has 62,000 more miles and is in better shape.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oledog56 -- do not buy that Spyder at any price. You will be wrenching rather than riding.

I too bought a Spyder because age meant I was getting too tired commuting for an hour, working (on a friend's SCTA roadster) 6 hours, and then commuting an hour home. But I'm still riding my MG V7 for shorter days. BTW I too had a CB750 but never went down the HD path although the XR750 really really tugged at my wallet.

Guidelines: 2014 or later with the 1330cc I3 engine. SE6 paddle-shifted 6-speed because 2-lever => no lever transition is easier than 2-lever => 1-lever. I suspect you will stay with the RT rather than the F3 trim. From your post it's apparent you know your way around machinery. If you buy used from a dealer get the BEST warranty. If you buy used from a private party ask for service records. And if the seller doesn't have them you know what that means. Do not accept anything less than complete bodywork. In all cases establish a maintenance baseline with new fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid) and new filters (oil, HCM, fuel and maybe air). Replace any tires older than 5 years. Suspension depends on your comfort needs.

I assume you searched Cycle Trader. Also check this highly recommended dealership iMotorsports. They have a very nice 2016 RT Limited for $16.5K delivered to your driveway. There are other dealerships. Ask the forum members.

I bought a used high-mileage RT that came with a trailer. I was thinking what would I use a trailer for. And decided I lucked out because now I don't need to drive the Windstar so often. So keep an open mind. The Spyder handles a trailer very well.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Many thanks to all who responded to my post I did locate a 2015 RT Limited last nite checking out a few local dealers used rides, it appears to be in excellent shape from the photos, it's intense red pearl in color, wife loves the color that's a plus, nothing missing, it has 49000 miles on it, from my searching on here it seems high mileage on is not a concern if proper maintenance is done on the Spyders, going to give the dealer a call Monday and ask some questions, and check on their used warranty policy, if I like what they say, might be a road trip. Posted price is $14.000.00. If I buy it, next thing is getting it home, my enclosed hauler is buried in 3 feet of snow, I'll just stop to the local hardware store pickup a new snow shovel and have the wife try it it out Also the wife's Camaro is stored in the hauler for winter, I'll tell she needs to park it outside in the snow for a day or so, yeah that's what I thought, that's not going to happen!!
    Been There Done That, Have The Scars And The MIR To Prove It!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even that seems a bit high and would keep looking. Anyway good luck!

https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/defa...OwnedInventory

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oledog56 -- sounds like you found your Spyder! Getting the color you like is a real stroke of luck. Congratulations and I'm hoping the best for you on the service record.

I recommend the CoverMax full-size cover $100 at Amazon. It is really heavy-duty, has a soft liner for windshield, a reflective liner for exhaust, and of course a tie-down strap.

At 49K miles I would change the spark plugs. Not because they are fouled, etc but apparently their internal resistance breaks down in such a manner that the coil-on-plug can be damaged. BajaRon has a post explaining this. If you do change them buy his kit because it includes the thermal paste for the threads and the silicone grease for the seals.

Post pictures soon.

Spyder Garage

Don't be in a hurry....nothing selling this time of year. Offer him 12K and go from there. Even 14K seems high to me, with that much mileage.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oledog56 -- read the Owner Manual -- several times. It's important for understanding how this 3-wheeler and its Vehicle Stability System differs from your 2- and 4-wheelers.

This is useful: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Recommended purchases:

* Electronic service manual with parts list and wiring diagram (helps with bodywork removal, farkle installation, etc)
    * Variety of tools to remove Torx fasteners (you will be taking bodywork off even if you have the dealer service your Spyder)
    * Battery if your current one is more than 3 years old (you do NOT want to worry about glitches with your electronics-heavy Spyder; I bought Shorai LFP)
    * EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads if yours are the original Brembos
    * Lamonster Magic Mirrors (eases mirror removal which is a Spyder owner ritual plus reduces vibration from older mirror mounts)
    * Lamonster Belt Tensioner Roller (apparently there are drive belt harmonics at certain speeds which this kit reduces and this one has the best roller)

Spyder Garage

I called the dealership and spoke to a salesman, they sold the bike new, one owner, they did all the service work on it and have all the paper work on all repairs. They have 350 mile warranty on used equip, willing to store it for free until spring if I decide buy it, they would also deliver it for a fee, 13500.00 over the phone, but a visit to the dealer with some serious dealing, maybe I could get them to go lower, you never know. Salesman said they have Spyders out there up to 90.000 miles on them, still running. I did a check on their reputation as a dealer, they have an outstanding reputation.

Here's a pic of the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Been There Done That, Have The Scars And The MIR To Prove It!

Spyder Garage

Default Looking where?

I am just starting to look for a Spyder. Always had two-wheelers but age suggests 3 might be a better fit for me now. Looking for an RT in the $12k range. I have been looking at eBay, Cycletrader and here but not finding as many choices as I had hoped for. Any other suggestions? Beside patience?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iwillplay View Post
    I am just starting to look for a Spyder. Always had two-wheelers but age suggests 3 might be a better fit for me now. Looking for an RT in the $12k range. I have been looking at eBay, Cycletrader and here but not finding as many choices as I had hoped for. Any other suggestions? Beside patience?
    Check out facebook marketplace, that's where I found mine.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Hello Haze - I did pick up our 2014 RT-S yesterday. Drove it home in 34 degrees over Echo summit. Barely got chilled. I see you are in Carson. Is there a local group to go ride with?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iwillplay View Post
    We found Peggy's 2013 STS-SM5 on Cycle Trader, but there were a bunch of newer ones too. Prices all over the place.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oledog56 -- Wow that RT-L looks stunning. One owner, dealer serviced, reputable dealer -- I'm looking forward to pictures of you and your wife riding it this Spring.

Spyder Garage

I called the dealership and spoke to a salesman, they sold the bike new, one owner, they did all the service work on it and have all the paper work on all repairs. They have 350 mile warranty on used equip, willing to store it for free until spring if I decide buy it, they would also deliver it for a fee, 13500.00 over the phone, but a visit to the dealer with some serious dealing, maybe I could get them to go lower, you never know. Salesman said they have Spyders out there up to 90.000 miles on them, still running. I did a check on their reputation as a dealer, they have an outstanding reputation.

Here's a pic of the bike.
    I'm confused ..... is this the SAME spyder you originally posted about ????? or a different spyder from a dealer ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm confused ..... is this the SAME spyder you originally posted about ????? or a different spyder from a dealer ...... Mike
    Different machine Mike. I'm pretty sure the latest one Oledog is referring to is the red 2015 RT first mentioned in post #12 & then shown in post #17, not the 2014 mentioned in the Original Post.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Different machine Mike. I'm pretty sure the latest one Oledog is referring to is the red 2015 RT first mentioned in post #12 & then shown in post #17, not the 2014 mentioned in the Original Post.
    .................. Mike