Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BUDS2 Cluster Updates

Does one need access to BRP's dealer network system to perform the flash updates via BUDS2? Programming keys works fine, but that's only reading local information off the DESS. The BUDS2 showed a mandatory (red lightning bolt) update for the Cluster but when I tried to do the flash, the error received was "Error occurred during flash data transfer. Error when detecting network interface."

Using PowerSports diagnostics BUDS2 system. I couldn't locate anything via a Forum search: if this has already been discussed, pls point me to that thread.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Does one need access to BRP's dealer network system to perform the flash updates via BUDS2? Programming keys works fine, but that's only reading local information off the DESS. The BUDS2 showed a mandatory (red lightning bolt) update for the Cluster but when I tried to do the flash, the error received was "Error occurred during flash data transfer. Error when detecting network interface."

Using PowerSports diagnostics BUDS2 system. I couldn't locate anything via a Forum search: if this has already been discussed, pls point me to that thread.

Wayne
    If I understand you correctly, what you are asking the answer is yes. Aftermarket BUDS2 without a BRP certified dealer license can not accomplish software updates to the vehicle.

And, you have no Network Connectivity to BRP.

Spyder Garage

i contacted powersports diag about this. all you have to do is contact their support, they will hook you up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, rugercharger, for the update. I had a phone number from a chat I had with BRP CS. (Now that we have stable electricity in TX, I can use my phone again!)
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

no problem. i have the buds system. i purchased it from them a couple years ago. i emailed them about access to updates. they have it set up where you contact them and they will get the updates for you

Spyder Garage

You did not connect a usb cable from your PC to the BRP Connect usb port on your Spyder. You need a usb A male to male cable. That is why you are getting the network error. It's looking for the usb connection. Since BUDS 2 showed you the red flash update. The version of of BUDS 2 you have will update your cluster. Just get a usb cable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If I understand you correctly, what you are asking the answer is yes. Aftermarket BUDS2 without a BRP certified dealer license can not accomplish software updates to the vehicle.

And, you have no Network Connectivity to BRP.
    This is simply not true. Sorry. Just need a valid license Powersports Diagnostics. The correct version of BUDS 2. Free to download, as often as you want, as long as your license is valid. A usb cable is need to update the cluster.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You did not connect a usb cable from your PC to the BRP Connect usb port on your Spyder. You need a usb A male to male cable. That is why you are getting the network error. It's looking for the usb connection. Since BUDS 2 showed you the red flash update. The version of of BUDS 2 you have will update your cluster. Just get a usb cable.
    You are correct: I did not have a USB cable plugged in....I forgot about that step! Thank you!

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

This is simply not true. Sorry. Just need a valid license Powersports Diagnostics. The correct version of BUDS 2. Free to download, as often as you want, as long as your license is valid. A usb cable is need to update the cluster.
    Instrument cluster only and not other updates via the USB or is that incorrect also?

I was under the impression he was connecting via the square connector which he stated worked fine but would not update.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post

Wayne
    !!!!!!! Could you post if you were able to obtain the update patch from BRP?
    This is new info about being able to obtain software updates from BRP when a retail customer has purchased BUDS interface for their own use.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Instrument cluster only and not other updates via the USB or is that incorrect also?

I was under the impression he was connecting via the square connector which he stated worked fine but would not update.
    No matter what is being updated. The MPI 2 or 3 interface has to be connected. For the cluster updates only, the usb cable needs to be connected as well. For updates for other modules just the MPI interface is needed. No need for a connection to BRP. The update is in the BUDS software from Powersports Diagnostics. So new versions need to be downloaded from time to time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

There appears to be an update to BUDS 2 released Feb 10, 2021. The update may be for a snowmobile, who knows. What I do is just before I plan to use BUDS2. I check for an update and install it if there is one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    !!!!!!! Could you post if you were able to obtain the update patch from BRP?
    This is new info about being able to obtain software updates from BRP when a retail customer has purchased BUDS interface for their own use.
    I will but first I need to get a USB cable (as the A -Male to A-Male is one I don't have). None local, so one is ordered.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Update: Got a USB A-male to A-male cable. Hooked up the system. Proceeded to make the flash update on the Gauge Cluster and keep getting network error. All of the posted video at Powersports Diagnostics refer to BossWeb login. BossWeb is explicited stated to be BRP dealers, while the PD web site states that their systems should be able to provide the updates without BossWeb. On the plus side, I successfully programmed keys and can read the diagnostics from our 2015 and 2018 F3 S, L and T models.

Compiled set up information and sent to PD Support: waiting on an answer.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

Default Warranty Bulletin 2018-0004

Here are the instructions in the attached Warranty Bulletin. This is for update to firmware 13.2 but the steps are the same.

It appears that a 3 page pdf is too big to upload to SL. So here is a link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-mG...ew?usp=sharing

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are the instructions in the attached Warranty Bulletin. This is for update to firmware 13.2 but the steps are the same.

It appears that a 3 page pdf is too big to upload to SL. So here is a link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-mG...ew?usp=sharing
    Copy. That's the same procedure that was on the BRP YouTube training video, except they refer to Boss Web logon. I consistently get to step 9, page 3, when I receive the network error. Need to understand what that means.
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The process being used was correct, as provided by billybovine and the Powersports-Diag.com website. I had to dig into my computer settings to resolve the Anti-virus settings and Firewall permissions. After-the-fact, Support @ PSD confirmed that antivirus and firewall settings were common issues (but, IMO, not well-documented). Anyway, everything now works!

Wayne
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500

Spyder Garage

I just recently purchased the BUDS2 software license and ended up having to buy a new computer to run it. I was able to update everything else except the cluster. Thank you for showing this solution, I wish powersports diagnostics would provide some training videos or something to assist new users. But I'll get a male to male USB cable and get it done now! Thanks again!!
    Mine: 2016 Indian Springfield & 2021 Indian Roadmaster
    Wife: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
    2018 F3 Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Ok .. this is all new to me.
    We can buy a license and do our own updates with a program we can download?
    Alrighty then....
    Looks like it’s $1000 or so to get started... is it worth that investment?
    Curious ..... Is there a list of steps for dummies?
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I haven’t found the guide book for dummies yet, but if you’ve ever used diagnostic software before it’s fairly easy to use. At least for me so far. I have found that there are a few things that are unique to it, had to cycle the power after updating the TCM and you have to have the male to male USB cable apparently. I’m sure I’ll find more. But I don’t have any dealer support and do all my own maintenance plus I work on some for friends, so that’s how we justified it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut1009 View Post
    I haven’t found the guide book for dummies yet, but if you’ve ever used diagnostic software before it’s fairly easy to use. At least for me so far. I have found that there are a few things that are unique to it, had to cycle the power after updating the TCM and you have to have the male to male USB cable apparently. I’m sure I’ll find more. But I don’t have any dealer support and do all my own maintenance plus I work on some for friends, so that’s how we justified it.
    I too recently purchased BUDS 2 and a new laptop to run it......so far so good. I like being able to work on my own stuff. The information from this forum has provided excellent information. There are alot of smart folks out there.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut1009 View Post
    I But I don’t have any dealer support and do all my own maintenance plus I work on some for friends, so that’s how we justified it.
    lugnut, would your license cover turning off the DESS module? If so I would gladly let you make some money on your investment.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

No, as much as I wanted to purchase the megatech license, I could not justify the extreme cost. But now that I have this license, I could upgrade at anytime. I’ve also heard that they may let you purchase a 1 month license for that, but I’m not sure about that.

Spyder Garage

What exactly is this update suppose to cover/change??

Spyder Garage

I'm not exactly sure yet, but a lot of the other updates I've been able to do on the ECM, TCM, etc... stated they were optional. The update for the cluster states mandatory. I like keeping things up to date anyway, surely there are some improvements included. My wife's cluster firmware is at a 10, the update gets it up to a 20.