Spyder Garage

Default How Do I tell A 2021+ / 2021 1/2 RT Limited

I’m going to order a 2021 RTL. How will I know if I received a 2021 1/2 ?

Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't by looking at it. The ONLY differences are an updated front sprocket and more insulation/sound deadening behind/inside the fairing. No other changes between early and late 2021s.

Spyder Garage

If you order one require it to be a newly built unit and not a older unit. When it arrives verify by looking at the vin plate.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Also, the mirror wobble is supposed to be fixed. I read that anything manufactured after January 1 will be the 21.5. So just check the date of manufacture.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    If you order one require it to be a newly built unit and not a older unit. When it arrives verify by looking at the vin plate.
    How can you check the build date by the VIN?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post
    You may find a sticker on the rear swinging arm This should the build date
    On my F3 2018 the build date is shown as 02/18
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

The Build Date should be printed on the VIN Plate, so all you need to do is read it. :thumbup
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The Build Date should be printed on the VIN Plate, so all you need to do is read it. :thumbup
    DUH!!! I thought he meant by decoding the VIN.

Spyder Garage

As stated above, the build date is/should be on the the sticker with the vin number
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Well now if we just new the exact date the changes where made in production for sure from Can-Am. That would be great I called a dealer and they said they would have to check on it. Not sure I’ll ever hear from them. Does anyone have a reliable source at a dealer?

Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but why the huge concern with an early compared to a late? As I mentioned in Post #2, the ONLY differences are the updated front pulley and the add'l sound deadening under the fairing. The front pulley was only updated to eliminated the tiny whine SOME hear due to the new (2020+) fairing design. Not everyone hears it and for those that do (including me), it's not really a big deal. BuRP only added the add'l sound deadening due to the whine of the front pulley. If you got an early (or even a 2020 holdover), you can swap out pulleys. $110 for the pulley and a couple hours labor from the dealer/shop.

Again, a late is not a "better" bike then an early. You might even get a deal on an early if it's been sitting on the dealers show floor for a few months. I've got an early and have no issues with it. The front pulley whine is minimal and is generally only heard between ~45-55mph.

With all that said, it's your money so do what you feel you need to do. I just don't get all the hub bub around a late. The only reason I would ever insist on a late is if I had to have the new S2S trim in which case, that's only a late. Hope you enjoy your new ride, whatever you get.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I drove a blue demo 2020 RTL which had a rather bad whine to it, "(I'm hard of hearing)". told the dealer, he said take this new floor model for a spin. (Marsala Red). No whine on that one, bought it last July, over 5000 miles now, no problems. hehe,, think it's only the blue ones that whine ,, hehe What ya think MONK ? lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'm sorry but why the huge concern with an early compared to a late? A
    Cause you pays your money and you want your money's worth.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I could be wrong but I thought I heard that the early 2021s only came in the red color. If that is correct I would assume if you are looking at a different color then its a new build. Something to look into anyway.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I drove a blue demo 2020 RTL which had a rather bad whine to it, "(I'm hard of hearing)". told the dealer, he said take this new floor model for a spin. (Marsala Red). No whine on that one, bought it last July, over 5000 miles now, no problems. hehe,, think it's only the blue ones that whine ,, hehe What ya think MONK ? lol
    You may be right. My blue 2021 early has a slight whine but honestly, either it's gone away or I've gotten used to it. I don't hear it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Cause you pays your money and you want your money's worth.
    So, by your thinking, everyone who bought either a 2020 RT or an early 2021 got ripped off? I think not but you're entitled to your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought I heard that the early 2021s only came in the red color. If that is correct I would assume if you are looking at a different color then its a new build. Something to look into anyway.
    Untrue, sir. Same colors for all current gen RTs (other than the baby puke green on the new S2S trim).

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=MONK;1561333]You may be right. My blue 2021 early has a slight whine but honestly, either it's gone away or I've gotten used to it. I don't hear it anymore.

Could be you're going deaf.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From what I have seen in the ones at my local dealership, I would be more concerned about the rusting bolts at the handle bars and other parts that were downgraded starting in 2020. I know no one is leaving their bike out for hours at a time each day. But when I went by my dealership this weekend and saw the rust, I was a bit turned off.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but why the huge concern with an early compared to a late? As I mentioned in Post #2, the ONLY differences are the updated front pulley and the add'l sound deadening under the fairing. The front pulley was only updated to eliminated the tiny whine SOME hear due to the new (2020+) fairing design. Not everyone hears it and for those that do (including me), it's not really a big deal. BuRP only added the add'l sound deadening due to the whine of the front pulley. If you got an early (or even a 2020 holdover), you can swap out pulleys. $110 for the pulley and a couple hours labor from the dealer/shop.

Again, a late is not a "better" bike then an early. You might even get a deal on an early if it's been sitting on the dealers show floor for a few months. I've got an early and have no issues with it. The front pulley whine is minimal and is generally only heard between ~45-55mph.

With all that said, it's your money so do what you feel you need to do. I just don't get all the hub bub around a late. The only reason I would ever insist on a late is if I had to have the new S2S trim in which case, that's only a late. Hope you enjoy your new ride, whatever you get.
    Ok so what is the S2S trim?

Jim

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    Ok so what is the S2S trim?

Jim
    S2S is our abbreviation word for the new Sea to Sky version of the RTL. Special color, and a few S2S only options. You will pay a premium for this model...but most like it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Valkrocket;1561335]
    You may be right. My blue 2021 early has a slight whine but honestly, either it's gone away or I've gotten used to it. I don't hear it anymore.

Could be you're going deaf.
    I COULD BE WHAT? SPEAK UP, SONNY!

Spyder Garage

So, by your thinking, everyone who bought either a 2020 RT or an early 2021 got ripped off? I think not but you're entitled to your opinion.

Not at all. I'm saying if you are paying your own hard earned money you should have a right to know what you are getting.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but why the huge concern with an early compared to a late? As I mentioned in Post #2, the ONLY differences are the updated front pulley and the add'l sound deadening under the fairing. The front pulley was only updated to eliminated the tiny whine SOME hear due to the new (2020+) fairing design.
    Hey MONK,
    I thought the new front bearing was a different design (hence the new colour), to eliminate the stripping (the dreaded red dust)... or did I just make that up in my own mind......which is eminently possible these days

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hey MONK,
    I thought the new front bearing was a different design (hence the new colour), to eliminate the stripping (the dreaded red dust)... or did I just make that up in my own mind......which is eminently possible these days

Pete
    I have no issue making up my own stuff but I'm 99% sure the only advantage to the new pulley is to reduce the whine. It's my understanding (and someone who knows more about this can feel free to school me if I'm wrong) that the holes have been redesigned so the air travels through them different.