Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Peter I have to wonder if this could happen when you hit something on the road and the rear tire comes off the ground. If so it would seem to be a major design error.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Peter I have to wonder if this could happen when you hit something on the road and the rear tire comes off the ground. If so it would seem to be a major design error.
    I guess it could occur, but not only would the tire itself hafta lift off the ground, you'd also hafta top out the suspension hard enough for it to be an issue! So I reckon you'd hafta be REALLY unlucky for the rear wheel to come off the ground & top out the suspension in anything short of an incident where you'd have a whole lot more issues resulting to worry about, both personally & Spyder-wise; or you'd hafta be REALLY TRYING bleedin' hard to get the rear wheel airborne at full suspension extension!!

In my experience, our Spyders (& Rykers!) have been designed well enough so that it's not really all that easy to get just ONE front wheel into the air, altho it is possible given enough speed thru a hard enough turn; and it's a whole lot more difficult to get BOTH front wheels into the air at the same time, altho again, given enough speed (ie, a LOT of speed!!) and exactly the right crest/bump in the road, that too has been done! Martin the Vlogger even video-ed his effort, and it wasn't an easy thing to achieve!

But apart from those fairly limited &/or exceptional circumstances, the fronts rarely want to lift at all, and our Spyders are designed (pretty well in fact) to keep the rear tire even better planted than the fronts, despite anything much that the ryder might do - well, not without going to stupidly extreme measures, anyway!! I've completely shattered a SHOEI Helmet visor on the top edge of an RT's windscreen during a FULL ON Emergency Stop, and there was no sign of the rear tire lifting off the ground at all - in fact, checking the video after I'd changed my shorts, it seemed that while the rear suspension did lift a lot, it didn't even top out!! So I reckon it'd be pretty hard in anything vaguely considered akin to 'normal riding' to actually lift the rear tire enough to be an issue!!

So at least IMHO, you probably won't encounter either a bent bracket or the damaged/broken sector arm unless you make a practice of lifting your Spyder's rear tire off the ground without disconnecting that height sensing rod first.... but that's just me/my opinion, and as always, YMMV! Only please, don't take that as a challenge & go out to try and show that lifting a rear tire is more likely/possible than I think.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-12-2021 at 01:32 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I guess it could occur, but not only would the tire itself hafta lift off the ground, you'd also hafta top out the suspension hard enough for it to be an issue! So I reckon you'd hafta be REALLY unlucky for the rear wheel to come off the ground & top out the suspension in anything short of an incident where you'd have a whole lot more issues resulting to worry about, both personally & Spyder-wise; or you'd hafta be REALLY TRYING bleedin' hard to get the rear wheel airborne at full suspension extension!!

:
    All it takes is a critter running full bore out of the weeds, on a back country road, hell bent on suicide by spyder. Gets all but the left front tire airborne. And yes, it does create issues.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    All it takes is a critter running full bore out of the weeds, on a back country road, hell bent on suicide by spyder. Gets all but the left front tire airborne. And yes, it does create issues.
    Well, there is that!!

But I'd think that sorta qualifies as 'REALLY unlucky', wouldn't you??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!