Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Left side foot brake

Hi all. I promised some pics of my brake mod. I arranged this from 1000km away, letting the guy who volunteered to do the mod (a contact through the Ulysses Club) decide how to do it.

I'm a right leg A-K amp, so the brake had to go to where I could reach it. What resulted was a mechanical link, placing a foot brake on the left side. (My Spyder is an SE, so the space was empty)

I have posted pics of the mods on my photobucket page <http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/o...Spyder%20Mods/>

One unforeseen difficulty was that the frame flexes when cornering. The rod that runs across the frame would bind, either holding the brake on or making it hard to apply. This was solved by adding a flexible coupling to one end.

The coupling passes inside the belt. It therefore has to be disassembled when the belt has to be removed. This shouldn't be a frequent problem.

I'm happy to answer questions about how it works for me, but as I didn't do the work, I can't tell you much about the fabrication.

I've done 7000km on this now. Once I got used to using my left foot to brake instead of chasing gear, it has been brilliant.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Spyder Garage

That is a great looking setup!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner