Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL Need help Sitting for 9 months

My RTL has been sitting for 9 months. Long story that I will talk about after June 1st. I have not been able to start my Spyder for 9 months. I will have a chance to see her for several hours. I know that I will need a new battery. I am just wondering what else I need to replace and need to rework. Side note, can I charge the battery through the cigarette lighter switch on the side or is it controlled by the ignition switch. I have charged cars in the past this way. Not ideal, just did not want have to start removing plastics yet. If I can get it started I can pull the Spyder out of the house and get it gone. Otherwise it will have to wait until June. Trying to plan out my work ahead of getting to see the Spyder. Yeah I know that gas is going to be an issue, just hoping that the gas lines, engine is not too clogged.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

9 months is not necessarily going to mess up your fuel system. Especially if you put stabil in before.
    Bring a Jump-pack and attempt to start as is. Other than the likely low/dead battery, you could get lucky!
    Thank goodness the days of carburetors is coming to a close!

If you have a direct wire to the battery like a tender plug or heated gear, etc., you can charge from those. Not suggested charging thru lighter gauge wire and most 'lighter sockets' are key-on assys.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to remove any tupperware to get to the battery on an '18 RT. Open the frunk lid, unzip the frunk liner and remove (2) T30 bolts from the rear of the frunk. The battery is right there. If you're just trying to get it off the property, you might be able to get enough juice to unlock the rear break and push it off the property.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    9 months is not necessarily going to mess up your fuel system. Especially if you put stabil in before.
    Bring a Jump-pack and attempt to start as is. Other than the likely low/dead battery, you could get lucky!
    Thank goodness the days of carburetors is coming to a close!

If you have a direct wire to the battery like a tender plug or heated gear, etc., you can charge from those. Not suggested charging thru lighter gauge wire and most 'lighter sockets' are key-on assys.
    ..... I think the battery is likely to be OK .... if you use an Auto / truck battery to jump start the Spyder , I wouldn't have the car / trk running ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I am leaning more towards the battery most likely dead. If battery can be saved - I recommend a good saturation charge. If you can get it started, add some fuel stabilizer and top off fuel with fresh fuel. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add a battery tender. Bit late for fuel stabilizer. But maybe some sea foam or gas treatment

Mines been sitting for over 5 months now and dont see me starting it for another month or more..

All I have is the battery tender on it.

Spyder Garage

However think “13 & up have the jump posts just above frunk, opposite side of radiator cap. Can use for charging & jump starts, without having to get to battery :dontknow what years actually have it. But is quite handy for ease of access If & when cranked & running, please don’t just let it idle try lap around block or two get the fluids moving & pipe hot enough to boil any moisture out. Nothing crazy or redline just some movements. Kinda like wake up stretching also might wanna have Squared always #handy https://www.spyderlovers.com/spyders....php?zoneid=32 I case something extra develops.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I have a '15 RT-S and sitting it will slowly discharge the battery. It does have the original in it, but has done that since new. Use a jump pack if you have one or a small trickle charger or even another motorcycle, lawnmower that has a small battery. Don't leave a car battery jumping it for long. To many amps. I've never seen any auxiliary jump posts on my '15.
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Update:
    I finally got the beastie started. Yup new battery, old one was toast. Went for a 50 mile ride all good. Scheduled for the shop, I realized that I am 500 miles late for my 3K service. Yeah I know I ride a lot. LOL

Already have plans to ride her more this year

Spyder Garage

If you have power where you store the bike, put a set of leads on that new battery that hook up to your new battery tender you should get!! If you only have 3k on that 2018 bike a tender would be a good addition!! Good luck ride it LOT'S!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    However think “13 & up have the jump posts just above frunk, opposite side of radiator cap. Can use for charging & jump starts, without having to get to battery :dontknow what years actually have it. But is quite handy for ease of access
    Since this thread was revived I'll respond to your comment. The jump posts were on the 2013 only. I thought they were a great idea and used them to connect auxiliary stuff when I had my 2013. Was going to do the same when I got my 2014 and to my disappointment the posts were not there.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The bike goes in Monday for 3K service. I will make sure that I put a tender on the bike!

Spyder Garage

Say lonestar,

I see your in Northern Nevada-------- How about hooking up with BattleBorn Spyders. We are a group looking to grow a bit. Many of us are going to the " Runamucca" rally soon. Local rydes and get togethers this summer.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Already a member of Battle Born Robert Nowak on FB. Looking forward to meeting u with you guys. Walker Burger two weekends from now!