Spyder Garage

Default metal valve stems?

When I change out my tires for new ones next week, I am planning on also changing out the OEM valve stems on my wifes 2018 F3 Limited. The front valve stems are extremely short which makes it hard to check tire pressure and air up the tires. I have done a search and saw where some posters have recommended getting valve stem extensions which I do not want to do (bad experience years ago). I would like to get metal valve stems but have not found any recommendations on what size to get. Since I have never changed out valve stems not sure what to look for in the way of sizes etc.

I am looking to go with metal because I might be adding the FOBO system in the future and have read that "some" have had issues with the rubber valve stems, so since I am going to be getting longer ones anyway might as well make them metal.

Recommendations please.

Thank you
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been searching for the same information. Best I can tell is the hole size is 11.3mm. And BN911 recommends this valve stem https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...products_id=72 but he also drilled a new hole in his rim for it per this post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1559279 I'm a Bridgeport fan. Still haven't made a purchase decision. Let us know what you decide.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

When I had Federals put on the front, I asked for longer valve stems. They may be only 1/2" longer, but boy, do they help making airing up easy. They are chrome, but that might be just a cover over the rubber, but it does stiffen the stems.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I've been searching for the same information. Best I can tell is the hole size is 11.3mm. And BN911 recommends this valve stem https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/prod...products_id=72 but he also drilled a new hole in his rim for it per this post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1559279 I'm a Bridgeport fan. Still haven't made a purchase decision. Let us know what you decide.
    Yep I used the ones from Kurveygirl ...... But only on the rear ( that's where the problem OEM valve is ) .... She doesn't offer any Straight ones in metal ..... if you want metal get ones that are made for AUTO rims , because that's the Spyder has ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Try Tire Supply Network . they have many different styles and lengths of true metal valve stems. Some that are advertised as metal are only metal outside the wheel and the part that holds the stem into the wheel is rubber.

https://tiresupplynetwork.com/?gclid...waAu9aEALw_wcB

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked my tire guy to install metal valve stems. He said that because they mount in the curve of the rim, he could not find any that fit. He did install some "heavy-duty" valves that had a reinforcing metal tube inside the rubber stem. They seem to work quite well.

I joked with him about selecting the "heavy-duty" stems, as tire pressure (cold) would be less than 20 psi.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I asked my tire guy to install metal valve stems. He said that because they mount in the curve of the rim, he could not find any that fit. He did install some "heavy-duty" valves that had a reinforcing metal tube inside the rubber stem. They seem to work quite well.

I joked with him about selecting the "heavy-duty" stems, as tire pressure (cold) would be less than 20 psi.

.... your " tire guy " .... needs to take a more intense look at the actual valve stem " mounting " area .... the stem is recessed into the " curve " of the rim ..... it has also been " reliefed " (?), so that the surface is flat ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

The last metal valve stems I bought came from Speedway Motors. They got all kinds.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/?gcli...SAAEgLv0fD_BwE
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... your " tire guy " .... needs to take a more intense look at the actual valve stem " mounting " area .... the stem is recessed into the " curve " of the rim ..... it has also been " reliefed " (?), so that the surface is flat ...... Mike
    I was not there to watch him do the job, but I got the impression that the only ones he had available were too large for the "relief" area.

No worries, what he installed is working just fine.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G