Spyder Garage

Default Occasional 2-Up Rear Shock?

Hello,

I had posted previously regarding Elka shocks. I am looking for feedback on the occasional 2-up rear shock. It is a third the price of the Elka, and the Elka may be overkill for what we need. I have a 2018 F3, and I ride 2 up with my wife quite frequently. We have put around 4K miles on it and have bottomed out maybe half a dozen times, which is why I am looking to replace the rear shock. I did search the forum and found some posts about the 2 up shock, but nothing that helped determine if it would work for us. Some posts seemed to suggest that it softened over time. With our gear we have a combined weighy of somewhere around 400 LBs. I know the 2 up is essentially the same shock but with more coils and heavier wire. What has been the experience of others with the 2 up shock?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Hello,

I had posted previously regarding Elka shocks. I am looking for feedback on the occasional 2-up rear shock. It is a third the price of the Elka, and the Elka may be overkill for what we need. I have a 2018 F3, and I ride 2 up with my wife quite frequently. We have put around 4K miles on it and have bottomed out maybe half a dozen times, which is why I am looking to replace the rear shock. I did search the forum and found some posts about the 2 up shock, but nothing that helped determine if it would work for us. Some posts seemed to suggest that it softened over time. With our gear we have a combined weighy of somewhere around 400 LBs. I know the 2 up is essentially the same shock but with more coils and heavier wire. What has been the experience of others with the 2 up shock?
    there is a reason for the third of the price get a after market shock . then u wont be second guessing ur self

Spyder Garage

My 16 F3-L had the two-up shock, Scotto (came standard). I replaced it because of the bottoming out (I am 300lbs, which is around a two up weight). I have experienced a much better general ride and no bottoming out at all since I installed Wilbers (competitor to Elka) shocks. As Brad says above, there’s a reason BRP’s two-up shock is one third the price of a “real”, custom sized, shock.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am a 100% solo rider (230#) using the occasional two up shock. It works well for me, but again, my max load on it is approx 280# with luggage. It is as basic of a shock as you can get with no adjustments available. I'd consider looking at a M2 shock. With the forum discount of 20%, it would be around $700 and built to your specs.
    https://www.m2shocks.com/canam-spyder-products

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went with Wilbers 630/640 shock combo and the rear shock is remotely adjustable. It is dearer, but you gets what you pays for.

About 50% of my riding is two up, clocking up about 58000km in just short of 3 years. My wife is light, but my mates are not and the days of the rear bottoming out or getting messy are long gone for me. The ability to adjust based on who is co-piloting or not is worth every penny if you are finicky like me.
    https://suspensionsrus.com.au/index....&product_id=59

PS I forgot the important part - they come in different colors
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Lots of hate for the 2-Up shock. My Spyder is a 2015 F3S. Was known for the worst factory shock. Supposedly even though the part number didn't change the shock did get a smidge better on the later years.

Someone posted above about an F3L - not the same shock - not the same rear weight/design at all.

I'm around 215lbs and I have Hard Saddle Bags (pretty full most of the time) mounted full time. I went with the 2-Up Shock paying around $170 for it. I ride by myself "most" of the time - but occasionally carry my son's GF with me which I'm guessing puts my total weight near your 400lbs. Granted our trips are mostly 100 miles or less - but we've been very happy with the 2-Up shock. Haven't yet regretted not spending the significantly more money on a different shock.

Ask a question - in a 100 different responses you could get 100 different opinions. Based on the above mine goes against the norm here - but take it for what it's worth - text on a screen. ;-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the feedback. Very helpful info.

Spyder Garage

I got a reply back from BRP regarding the two up shock. It is designed to be used for weight loads of 240# > up. Both the adjustable shock #219400734 and Podium 2 #219400577 are designed for weight loads of 100# > 435#. No actual spring rates given. Just some FYI ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I got a reply back from BRP regarding the two up shock. It is designed to be used for weight loads of 240# > up. Both the adjustable shock #219400734 and Podium 2 #219400577 are designed for weight loads of 100# > 435#. No actual spring rates given. Just some FYI ...
    Troop,

Thank you for the great info!

Regards,

Scotto