Spyder Garage

Default You just can't write this stuff!

I was getting on my F3 today in the Post Office parking lot and an elderly (OK, just a few years older than me) lady stopped to tell me how she just didn't see how anyone could hold up these big motorcycles... I bit my lip, swallowed the "here's your sign" joke that desperately wanted to escape and politely explained that my Spyder had three wheels, no need to "hold it up". Life is strange, you just can't write this stuff!
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Spyder Garage

We all age differently and this was illustrated so well in a movie I just finished watching. It was on PBS's POV series and it was titled, "The Mole." The story is about an older gentleman hired by a private investigator to spy on the people in an old folks home and learn who was stealing from their client's mother. It was filmed at a real nursing home and all the performers are the actual residents and staff. Our mole is friendly to all and makes it a point to talk with all the residents. There's no script and it's really a commentary on aging and loneliness. After the ending, it is explained how they were able to film the mole and the goings on in that nursing home. See it if you can, it's an eye opener, and is upbeat. It's in Spanish with English subtitles.

After reading Grumpy's post, I had a much better understanding of why that lady said what she did. I'm in my mid 80s and in spite of all my body has gone through, I can do what I want (mostly) and am still sharp of mind. Also, I ride my F3L like a teen who stole it. Some chide me for that, saying I should be more cautious. Why?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I was fueling up my old springer Sportster trike in upstate New York one day when a lady that looked to be in her 60s or older walked up and asked me where I bought it from. I told her I didn't buy it, I built it from a 2 wheel Sportster. She said she wanted one, that she could ride one with 3 wheels. I didn't bother to tell her there was a little bit more to riding an old hard mount Sportster 2,000 miles from home than just being able to hold it up.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    We all age differently and this was illustrated so well in a movie I just finished watching. It was on PBS's POV series and it was titled, "The Mole." The story is about an older gentleman hired by a private investigator to spy on the people in an old folks home and learn who was stealing from their client's mother. It was filmed at a real nursing home and all the performers are the actual residents and staff. Our mole is friendly to all and makes it a point to talk with all the residents. There's no script and it's really a commentary on aging and loneliness. After the ending, it is explained how they were able to film the mole and the goings on in that nursing home. See it if you can, it's an eye opener, and is upbeat. It's in Spanish with English subtitles.

After reading Grumpy's post, I had a much better understanding of why that lady said what she did. I'm in my mid 80s and in spite of all my body has gone through, I can do what I want (mostly) and am still sharp of mind. Also, I ride my F3L like a teen who stole it. Some chide me for that, saying I should be more cautious. Why?
    Turning 88 in a few days, I can relate and still enjoying my Canam RTL. Yep, wife still gets on that passenger seat and away we go. Cheers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My mum didn't know jack about trikes until I got one (she's in her late 70s). The 1st time she saw it, she thought the same thing. She figured it was a motorcycle and motorcycles have a tendency to fall over if you don't hold them up. She figured it was a "leaner". Once I showed her that I could stand on the seat and it was still rock steady and that the front suspension was basically the same as in her car, she began to understand. She doesn't care a whit about bikes (to each, their own) so she never researched anything. I get that. I don't care about fine wine so I don't know jack about it.

Spyder Garage

I was at a stop light waiting to get on the 60 in Mesa and two lady's in a car who appeared to be in the 80's were giving me the thumbs up. Driver rolled down her window and said that is really cool, how do you like it? BTW we name ours "The Hook"!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

About a week after I got mine my friend stopped by and saw it in the garage and started to check it out. After a brief look he asked me if these are legal for on road use. OK I can see someone asking that to be honest. The issue is he is a cop. My jaw dropped. I will make sure he never lives that down.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post

Precisely! Like a friend who's a few years older than my 76 years said not long ago, "I've lived this long and I'll as I wish, as long as it's not offensive or illegal." Aging does have a few benefits. My father-in-law once berated me for buying another motorcycle. He told me I was certainly going to kill myself. My response was that it was better, in my mind, than sitting in front of the TV in my underwear all day long. Gotcha!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Going to sell the 2015 Kawi later this spring. Due to the hard to hold it up issue. Now, with some weakness in the left leg, not going to push the issue any more.

I do thank the Lord for our Spyders. Even though we are both 70+, we can ride, enjoy the process, and don't have to worry about the falling down issue. We both have new ones, so it looks like five to ten more years of riding.

Oh....and thank you BRP also.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm in my mid 70s and one of the guys I ride with has been married one year longer than I have been alive! Tommy also led a 4 wheel group up until last year. He rode a quad. Always said he was too old to change to a side by side like most of us did. He would put his bride on behind him and take us out into the desert and mountains. There were many places I would not have tried to go if I were not following Tommy. He finally gave up 4 wheeling but still rides (and keeps up) his Goldwing trike. Years ago He told me he planned to give up riding when he turned 90. He lied..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    ...don't have to worry about the falling down issue.
    And just as importantly, you don't have to worry about a low side. As we get older, we tend to heal slower.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I was getting on my F3 today in the Post Office parking lot and an elderly (OK, just a few years older than me) lady stopped to tell me how she just didn't see how anyone could hold up these big motorcycles... I bit my lip, swallowed the "here's your sign" joke that desperately wanted to escape and politely explained that my Spyder had three wheels, no need to "hold it up". Life is strange, you just can't write this stuff!
    Shoot - wished I read this earlier - off to the shed to remove my side stand....
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Worked a checkpoint for the annual "3 Flags" ride one year. I can't tell you the number of geezers we helped that dropped their GW's. I began wondering if they could even finish the ride. I tell folks, if the time comes you need a third leg just to remain standing, then you're going to need a third wheel if you're going to keep on riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Shoot - wished I read this earlier - off to the shed to remove my side stand....
    You have one of those too??? Believe it or not, there are a picture or two of Spyders with side stands in the archives. Memory says way back, but I don't have a name or year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You have one of those too??? Believe it or not, there are a picture or two of Spyders with side stands in the archives. Memory says way back, but I don't have a name or year.
    That would have been ataDude.......yrs ago

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Hotglue has one on his Spyder.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

It's nice to have something o do when the ride captain calls KICKSTANDS UP!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Hotglue has one on his Spyder.
    I think a rear stand should come standard on the Spyder. That way you could lift the front higher and if the back is still on the ground have some tipping stability. Would make the sway bar swap a lot better!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A mate brought his two wheeler around and wanted to go for a ride and swap.

He was giving me a bit of lip for "pussy footing around" with a big cheesy grin on his face.

I replied "hey its been so long since I rode a two wheeler be thankful I remembered to use the side stand!!!"

Cheesy grin gone in less than a second!!!
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White