Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

The article is found in Cycle World Magazine most recent issue.

Link Below:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...eel-superbike/

Unfortunately, not currently at your local Kawi dealer. Talks mostly about new patents and prototypes. But....one really nice picture....in Kawi Green of course. I did not see any info about engine size or type???? Please feel to add whatever you find or want to discuss.

To late for me. I am getting near the end of motorcycling with the addition of Spyder #7.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-08-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Certainly more of a Niken type design. Hoping for something more along the lines of a Neowing. Cool ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

The article is found in Cycle World Magazine.

Link Below:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...eel-superbike/
    Which one are you asking about? These are all concept bikes having been floated by Kawasaki since 2013. I've not seen much on any of them since 2019. Do you have current information?

I would not consider the center offering a 'Trike'. But simply a motorcycle with 2 front wheels.

Kawa1.jpgKawa2.jpgKawa3.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-08-2021 at 05:11 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Which one are you asking about? These are all concept bikes having been floated by Kawasaki since 2018. I've not seen much on any of them since 2019. Do you have current information?

I would not consider the center offering a 'Trike'. But simply a motorcycle with 2 front wheels.

Kawa1.jpgKawa2.jpgKawa3.jpg
    The link in my post will take you to the one I am talking about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to say that's fugly...........

Looks like a Tron bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally I can't see a tilting three-wheeler as anything other than a niche market. It would seem to me that a Piaggio MP3 did everything a tilting three-wheeler
    does, and it never sold worth a hoot. People that want to lean, buy a motorcycle, people that want a trike, buy one, people that want a leaning trike would be ones
    who most likely can't ride a bike anymore, but still want to feel the lean. JMO anyway.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Time to bring out all the radical stuff, this one certainly is a ''Green new deal'' contender.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

An update after a little research.

Cycle World was mentioned as now going quarterly. Not a good sign in the publishing world. They may be reaching for straws in what articles to print. Even though the information is "current" take it with a grain of salt IMO.

I wont be putting a deposit down like I did sight unseen and 8 months before I got it, on the 2008 GS SM5.

Another sign of the times: My favorite cycle magazine, RIDER, has changed editors, and a lot of the "usual" writers. The current issue is down to 58 pages from the usual 78 or so. My subscription goes to 6/1/24...will it make it the distance?????
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-09-2021 at 11:01 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Interesting and innovative concept!
    However I have very low hopes they actually launch anything like this on the market.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    However I have very low hopes they actually launch anything like this on the market.
    Good.

Spyder Garage

Cycle World was mentioned as now going quarterly. Not a good sign in the publishing world. They may be reaching for straws in what articles to print. Even though the information is "current" take it with a grain of salt IMO.

I wont be putting a deposit down like I did sight unseen and 8 months before I got it, on the 2008 GS SM5.

Another sign of the times: My favorite cycle magazine, RIDER, has changed editors, and a lot of the "usual" writers. The current issue is down to 58 pages from the usual 78 or so. My subscription goes to 6/1/24...will it make it the distance?????
    I'm wondering the same. My subscription is to Mar 2022. I still like paper, but I'll only renew 12 months at a time from now on..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Another update about Rider magazine.

Just got the February issue it is down to 50 pages...BUT...there is a fantastic article with lots of great pictures about Death Valley. Worth a read.

Additional: there are no letters to the editors, and the retro bike section on the two last pages is now gone.

I miss both of those.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-13-2021 at 10:38 AM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yep I saw that- my Road Runner mag changed editors as well. I think the pandemic beat them down. I used to get 5 magazines to keep me sane on the road now I’m down to 2...

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Yep I saw that- my Road Runner mag changed editors as well. I think the pandemic beat them down. I used to get 5 magazines to keep me sane on the road now I’m down to 2...
    Me too on 5 magazines, so I could keep aware of all the action going on. I am now down to one only.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Good.
    Why "Good"?
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Probably along the lines of one fewer bike to have to look at and consider buying.

Five to ten years back, I would have been on the bandwagon to try the newest or latest Spyder clone from any of the rice burner companies. Any of those offerings are usually pretty good.

A couple months ago, I really liked the article about the new BMW 1800 cruiser. That is one nice piece of machinery. Ten years late for me. I still have my 2015 Vulcan 900 which I really like, but alas, it is getting to heavy for me to keep up, and I have a weak left leg now. I would have been all over the Beemer, but now, cannot justify it.

At 75, we just bought two new Spyders (one year back versions) 2019/2020. Based on that, we spent a lot of dough, should be good for the next five years or so. So.............sorry Kawi, no more new stuff for us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-11-2021 at 12:20 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a Kawasaki Voyager 1200 that I adored, then a Vulcan Nomad 1700, then a Vulcan 900... I liked the Kaws. Also had several Honda 2-wheelers in the past.

If Honda ever came out with a factory-built Gold Wing I would be all over that... but they won't so...

Actually, the main reason I finally gave up my Gold Wing trike for the Spyder is that there is no mechanic to take it to anywhere near me if/when something went wrong with the trike kit itself. I would have to trailer it 300 miles to Troup, Texas to get it worked on... then add up gasoline, motel, food, dog x 4 kennel expense.... I let go of a beautiful, reliable, first class, excellent condition, 2008 Honda Gold Wing, 40,000 miles. I kissed her on the nose and thanked her for taking care of me and wished her a good long life.

I did not want a Harley of any kind so the Spyder is a dealer-supported 3-wheeler - right out of the box.... and kind-of snazzy looking to boot!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

That grille is not flattering those bikes, but quite the opposite. The bars need to be much thicker/wider and fewer. That would accentuate width, which is what all vehicle designers strive for.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    That grille is not flattering those bikes, but quite the opposite. The bars need to be much thicker/wider and fewer. That would accentuate width, which is what all vehicle designers strive for.
    Yeah, I do NOT like the shape of the "hood" either.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Don't knock it until you try it!

I had an MP3-500 tilting scooter and loved it! It rode EXACTLY LIKE any 2-wheeled bike. The extra traction up front allowed very fast cornering and braking compared to 2-wheelers. In the wet or loose surfaces, it stuck better than 2 wheels. I ride hard and did 7 days in the Smokies and several other long runs cruising at 90 mph (top speed ) without incident.

The MP3 line has a hydraulic lock to freeze whatever angle you set it at when you stop (think parking on the side of a hill) so there's no side stand and you can stop at a light without putting a foot down.

Admittedly, most of the tilters are butt-ugly but the MP3 made up for it in it's added front footprint and never tipping over in soft sand when parked. It's also a great conversation starter at gas stops.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Don't knock it until you try it!

I had an MP3-500 tilting scooter and loved it! It rode EXACTLY LIKE any 2-wheeled bike. The extra traction up front allowed very fast cornering and braking compared to 2-wheelers. In the wet or loose surfaces, it stuck better than 2 wheels. I ride hard and did 7 days in the Smokies and several other long runs cruising at 90 mph (top speed ) without incident.

The MP3 line has a hydraulic lock to freeze whatever angle you set it at when you stop (think parking on the side of a hill) so there's no side stand and you can stop at a light without putting a foot down.

Admittedly, most of the tilters are butt-ugly but the MP3 made up for it in it's added front footprint and never tipping over in soft sand when parked. It's also a great conversation starter at gas stops.
    The Tilting Motor Works system locks in an upright position below 7 MPH, and releases again at over 7 MPH

Spyder Garage

The MP3 had a button to lock the front when <5mph so when rolling up to a stop light you press the button and never step in a puddle. As soon as you roll the throttle, the lock auto-releases.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The MP3 had a button to lock the front when <5mph so when rolling up to a stop light you press the button and never step in a puddle. As soon as you roll the throttle, the lock auto-releases.
    Yup - My new MP3 arrives tomorrow. Should be a great “tilting” stablemate to my 08 Spyder

D1B40EFF-024D-4332-9D3C-98D177140E28.jpg

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

It's a fun ride in all but the long distance high speed tours. The single jug is a bit buzzy at 90 mph. Be prepared to explain how it works to the curious folks you come across.