Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: teardrop camper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Actually I think, he was "pulling your leg" Steve.
    Well, he might be, but since I don't know Mrs. Wmoater, I can only go by what I see.

Oh, and I would NOT put my "Fido" back there for pretty much the same reasons.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Does she have a death wish?

Several things come to mind, regarding that action:
    1. With the trailer tongue following every bump that the Spyder's swingarm takes, the ride will be rather rough.
    2. Unless she is just barely large enough to cast a shadow, she might be overloading the suspension on the trailer. Even if she doesn't overload the suspension, it won't be a comfortable ride.
    3. Sitting in the draft of the exhaust can lead to some "interesting" situations, none of which is good.
    4. It is not legal to ride in a trailer while moving. Some states do allow riding in a 5-th wheel trailer, but only if there is a hard-wired communication intercom to talk to the driver.

Any one of these should be a deal-breaker. Having FOUR of them should make it a no-brainer.

Just joking around. I know it’s illegal and I would never think about it. I pull a fifth wheel toy hauler and put close to 12000 on a year. My wife loves it. We get on the road and she naps beside me until we get out west. My best co pilot. She just thought it was a cute trailer. This will make you laugh too. The only downfall of this little trailer is the front swing drop down leg. A little night movement might cause the trailer to easily shift and rock that leg back and BOOM what a ride yes she noticed that as the lady was lifting and setting the leg just before she flexed her arms.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Towing requires acceleration and deceleration. Consider:
    Add the weight of the camping gear and other stuff you will bring along, plus the weight of the trailer. Most likely, the total will be 1/3 the weight of the Spyder. You will need electric brakes on the trailer in order to stop effectively. If you don't, the trailer will push you uncontrollably.
    I'm not sure how many thousands of miles you have pulled a camp trailer with your spyder but I have over 50,000 miles of experience with pulling one and the last time was a Coast to Coast ride that was 11,000 miles , 66 days, 26 states in all kind of weather. I was pulling a Aspen popup classic that with all our gear weighed 460 pounds and never felt that I was ever being pushed around. But that is only my experience.
    Ipad and Coast to Coast 324.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

My wife pulls a custom trailer for our English Setter and at rest stops she has been asked what she is hauling and has gotten some strange looks when she says "My Husband".trailer 1.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I'm not sure how many thousands of miles you have pulled a camp trailer with your spyder but I have over 50,000 miles of experience with pulling one and the last time was a Coast to Coast ride that was 11,000 miles , 66 days, 26 states in all kind of weather. I was pulling a Aspen popup classic that with all our gear weighed 460 pounds and never felt that I was ever being pushed around. But that is only my experience.
    Ipad and Coast to Coast 324.jpg
    Drive your Spyder at 55mph without a trailer and make a emergency stop as fast as you possibly can. Measure the stopping distance. Next, do the exact same with your loaded trailer attached. Measure the stopping distance. Now imagine the predicament you would be in if you had to do that in heavy traffic. This is a life or death choice.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grandpot, Why are you so negative about towing a trailer? Towing with a spyder is no different than towing with any vehicle. Any sensible driver knows you need to leave a little more space and drive more cautious when towing. Its common sense. Those of us towing trailers aren't out hot rodding through the corners. Of course it takes a little longer to stop. But life or death? Nope.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Joel:

I'm not against towing a trailer. My concern is stopping a trailer. It's just plain physics. When you have a trailer that weighs 1/3 or greater than the weight of the tow vehicle, the trailer needs its own brakes, otherwise the trailer will end up pushing the tow vehicle or worse, causing an uncontrollable fishtail in an EMERGENCY stop.

I have towed many trailers with several types of vehicles. After my first panic stop I learned a valuable lesson. Since then, I will not tow any trailer that does not have its own brake system.

I'm just trying to give some advice so no one gets killed.

Notice in my signature, "Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it."
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Just a curious question grandpot. How many miles have you towed a loaded trailer with your Spyder?
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Just a curious question grandpot. How many miles have you towed a loaded trailer with your Spyder?
    It doesn't matter if it is a Spyder or any other vehicle. It's a matter of controlling inertia.

This is getting to be a pi**ing contest. You go do what you want. I wish you well.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    It doesn't matter if it is a Spyder or any other vehicle. It's a matter of controlling inertia.

This is getting to be a pi**ing contest. You go do what you want. I wish you well.
    I beg to differ, it's not a contest, I was just expressing my opinion about towing a trailer through my many miles of ACTUAL experience and not just theories. Another point I would like to input is if electric brakes were needed on ALL trailers pulled by a Spyder I think that BRP would have had them on the 622 or freedom trailer. But that is just my opinion and we all know about opinions. I also wish you well
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JMO, but I wouldn't pull a trailer behind 2 or three wheels unless it had brakes. AFATG, I wouldn't pull a trailer behind a bike, period.
    I've seen the result of a couple of incidents that occurred when the vehicle, a GoldWing in both instances, tried to stop relatively
    quickly when the trailer was at a slight angle to the bike. With no brakes on the trailer, it pushed the back of the bike in the direction
    the trailer was moving, and down they went.

If the trailer is heavy enough, it will push the back of the vehicle sideways if they aren't directly in line. Not as big a deal with a
    Spyder as the thing won't tip over, but it could get shoved sideways. That's how jackknifes occur.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    JMO, but I wouldn't pull a trailer behind 2 or three wheels unless it had brakes. AFATG, I wouldn't pull a trailer behind a bike, period.
    I've seen the result of a couple of incidents that occurred when the vehicle, a GoldWing in both instances, tried to stop relatively
    quickly when the trailer was at a slight angle to the bike. With no brakes on the trailer, it pushed the back of the bike in the direction
    the trailer was moving, and down they went.

If the trailer is heavy enough, it will push the back of the vehicle sideways if they aren't directly in line. Not as big a deal with a
    Spyder as the thing won't tip over, but it could get shoved sideways. That's how jackknifes occur.
    OK, but do you think the Legal bean counters would let BRP sell and install tow hitches for their BRP .... TRAILERS ..... and the OEM trailers that they sell if it wasn't Safe ?????? ..... just a thought ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not saying it isn't safe, per se, just that it isn't something I'm comfortable doing. And I do think it's safe...most of the time. But
    I think there are times when things can happen, and accidents and incidents will occur. Airplanes are safe, probably 99% of the time,
    but sh--, uh, stuff happens.

My only point was that with trailer braking, it's more likely that when that stuff happens, it will be easier to control the outcome. IMO
    that's why larger trailers have brakes, because most trailers are pulled behind cars and the car to trailer weight ratio favors the car up
    to a point. When that point is passed, most states require brakes on the trailer. The Spyder is considerably lighter than a car, and the
    Spyder to trailer weight ratio will change much quicker than with the car/trailer weight ratio.

Anyway, that's why I feel that any trailer pulled behind a, relatively, light vehicle like a Spyder or motorcycle should have brakes. This
    is totally my opinion, and just how I feel about it. I've pulled a 5h wheel behind my dually for many tens of thousands of miles, and never
    had an issue. And having brakes on my toyhauler doesn't mean something can't go pear shaped in a hurry.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Anyone who is involved in power sports knows there is inherent risk. All one needs to do is decide how much risk one is willing to take, regardless of anyone's opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very true, so one learns to mitigate the risk to an acceptable level. That includes honing one's skills, not riding on substandard
    equipment, i.e. bad tires, among other things.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Yes, and even if one chooses not to hone one's skills ride on substandard equipment, they still have accepted the risk involved with those decisions. Personally, I choose a well maintained machine, HIVIZ riding gear ATGATT always. Comes from 40 years on two wheels.
    True story,
    A few years ago went riding with a group of guys. During the pre-ride meet-up and everyone is checking out each others bikes, I noticed one of the guys bike was missing the upper engine mount bolts. Brought this to his attention and he was like, Ahh its ok been riding that way for a month while I finish working on it. Luckily he was not subject to a accident due to the negligence, but the torque on the frame eventually caused welds to crack. He tried to blame it on Yamaha because of a past issue with those welds. Yamaha told him to stick it and the repair cost ended up being twice what he had originally paid for the bike.
    Willfully bad decisions have a way of rising up and bitch slapping one.